• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2016-2017 NBA thread v.

The first thing I think of when I hear Paul Pierce:

That damn wheelchair

I'm really starting to dislike LeBron as a person.

He makes things that have nothing to do with race, involve racism. Then black people have the nerve to bitch about how they still feel marginalized by society.

Maybe, it's because you spend all your time talking about how your fucking marginalized by society, what the fuck is wrong with you god damn

We've come so far as a country in making racial relations as amicable and equal as possible but it's just never fucking good enough for some people

And it seems like whenever anyone tries to talk about it they skirt the issue out of fear of being the next person in the witch hunt

Fuck that. Say it with your chest Phil. You're only the guy who gave countless black athletes the opportunity to become successful businessmen today, but by the way, that one word you said that got taken entirely out of context, that's fucked up yo...

Typical. You do a thousand things right for them and they only focus on the one thing they perceived as you doing wrong by them

Stay sick black people, stay sick

And there's a lot of them that respect when other races (specifically white people) stand up and say this kind of stuff.

But there's also a sub group that is just waiting for a reason, ANY reason to label someone as racist. One word, misunderstood in its actual meaning.

Boom. Racist for life

Give me a break

I don't know if I'm racist or just objective about this because I really don't have anything against any group of people

And it is "racist" in a sense because I'm lumping a bunch of individuals into a single group that all thinks and acts the same but if you haven't figured it out by now, that's a huge part of what our society does in all facets of life

Don't talk about keepin it a beam or 100 or real rap or none of that hip hop nonsense if you don't, in actuality, want me to keep it a beam

Don't say all that, then label me a racist for calling you out on your shit and get all the PC Police to get on your side and make me look like an asshole

Nothing changes if nothing changes. As long as black people keep this "us vs them" attitude, it's gonna stay like that

Last edited:
And if you want to get technical, the word posse has roots in something that has NOTHING to do with black people as a race

Posse - a body of men, typically armed, summoned by a sheriff to enforce the law.

as in, during the Wild West days when people would round up a posse to go accomplish something

Hmmm, so you're saying black people took a phrase that had nothing to do with them in the first place, began using it in their society, then jumped on someone for using it in the original context.

Sounds about right

Fuck LeBron, fuck his crew, and fuck his hairline. You're going bald Bron Bron. No amount of slam dunks is gonna change that. Life's a bitch

I didn't get the "posse" outrage, either. People are way too quick to label someone racist.

Yeah this whole posse thing is rediculous. Ok u wanna be upset he disrespected u because he called ur group of associates a posse, instead of a group of associates, fine. But don't say it's racist. It's just not. Imo.

But I guess I don't get to decide what offends a particular person or group of people.

But ffs. Ppl could just say "oh, the word "the" offends me now because I subjectively decided so. If u say it, it's racist, even tho u absolutely weren't using it in a racist context.

It's just really getting out of hand now.

I was being sarcastic about Paul pierce coming back out in a wheelchair tbh, I thought it was a bit over dramatic

In actual basketball news:

SIXERS

SHE WOLVES

TONIGHT

TNT

KAT
JOJO

it's goin down in the dm

God damn this Ben Simmons-less sixers roster

Sergio Rodriguez taking any jump shot, axis of evil

I feel like this team is an above average car (idk like a Infiniti?) as currently constructed but without Simmons it's like there's no gas pedal

And we're way too European tbh. Not saying euros can't ball, but its different. I like Ilyasova, I like Rodriguez, I like Saric, just not all on the same team tbh.

There's some trade rumors that have been propagated about Nerlens Noel going to the Warriors for Klay Thompson in a 3 team trade with Boston but idk how that would help the warriors tbh.

If the sixers did get klay Thompson though, my god

probably not gonna happen

Would like to give a shout out to people who made shit like this

d00274770b07f2b89ab590b88c0a50d9437cc2acf6080fa3278ae4c7cfdc5b52_large

BrWJCgTCAAI3jZt.jpg

For eating some serious crow right now

God I love the Sixers

I've never been more confused about what position a player is going to play than I am about Ben Simmons

I'm assuming, vaguely, that he'll play point guard. I mean, that would make the most sense to me. The sixers need a pg, Simmons skill set is very point guard-esque. So the lineup would be something to this effect

PG- Ben Simmons
SG- Hollis Thompson
SF- Robert Covington
PF- Nerlens Noel / Dario Saric
C- Joel Embiid / Jahlil Okafor

Now, that seems pretty unimpressive on paper and I really don't know if Nerlens and Jahlil will even be here next season but

BUT

You have to take into consideration the following

-Ben Simmons will make everyone around him better

-Hollis Thompson is a pretty good role player. Reminds me a lot of Danny Green on the Spurs. Not the greatest defender but he's capable enough and by far the most consistent 3 pt shooter on the team

- Robert Covington is the weak link in this 5 for sure. I get it, he's 6'10 and can hit some 3's and run the floor. He can also miss a lot of 3s and play almost no defense. Seems like a perfect player for the Rockets. If I were in NBA2k dynasty mode I'd force trade the rockets to take ROCO for KJ McDaniels but I digress...

Nerlens Noel is a mystery to me. I don't know whether the organization really wants him to succeed or just be good enough to get trade offers. Purely defensive player although I feel like with Simmons he could run a vicious pick and roll game because he is quite athletic. And when I say purely defensive player, I mean that in a good way. When he just sticks to that and stops trying those ill advised mid range shots he'd be a solid player.

Joel Embiid, oh my god. I've never been so happy with a player who took 2 years off in my life. It obviously didn't affect his game in a bad way, and there really isn't anything he isn't at least capable of doing on the basketball court outside of playing more than 25 mins a game it seems. Impeccable timing in the paint on both offense and defense, comes out to guard the 3 pt line when he switches on D, can shoot from mid range and 3 pt range VERY accurately, awesome free throw shooter, solid physical build, doesn't seem to get upset or distracted by anything (like, people saying he was a bust before he ever took the court), handles the ball surprisingly well for his size, didn't even mention he's 7'2 and his arms are at least half that in length each. I'm sorry, I might be a homer and riding the hype train right now but I really don't see anyone else in the NBA with as much potential as JoJo right now. The only thing I fear is that I cringe every time he hits the floor and I swear to Jesus H Christ if he has a career ending injury before he ever makes the playoffs with Simmons I'll burn my Sixers merchandise (basically a single snapback) and never watch the NBA again. Fuck Andrew Wiggins.

SIXERS are going to be good eventually, and nobody is gonna say I haven't seen some shit over the past few years with this team. But you know what shit is actually pretty good for?

Fertilizer

And I'm seeing the growth. Slowly, sometimes not surely, but I see it.

WHOOOOOOO

76ers play the Pelicans tomorrow

Two best big men in the league squaring up albeit not directly against each other

Yeah, Joel Embiid is one of the top 3 bigs in the league, I'll say it.

Prove otherwise. It's not possible. Anything you conjure up about other bigs, he does better or adequately enough while killing them in other areas.

Urgent press release for all Joel Embiid naysayers and their affiliates

NSFW:
Ric-Flair-Meme-14.jpg

honestly hes trying to be too flashy sometimes now. I hope he doesnt think he has amazing ball handling skills. He just has amazing ball handling skills for someone that considers ceiling fans to be a natural enemy

Last edited:
76ers Ideal 2017-2018 starting lineup IMOTBPHIIRCNTTAWWT

PG - Markelle Fultz
SG - Malik Monk
SF - Ben Simmons
PF - Ersan Ilyasova / Dario Saric
C - Joel Embiid

PLAYOFFS

tanking is awesome about 2-3 years after the fact, and its actually not that bad while its happening if you arent a total bitch about it IMO. They werent going to win a championship no matter how hard they tried while the Cleveland and Golden States of the world are in their prime.

Im cool with being the worst team in the league when I know for a fact that there is no chance for us to have a chance at being the best.

Pretty sure the 76ers won the same amount of championships since the tank began as every team besides the Spurs, Warriors, and whoever LeBron was playing for

and now were fuckin throwin draft picks and still have massive amounts of cap room. The only reason the Sixers havent signed any quality free agents is because they wanted to be bad.

And thats what people dont fucking get. And by people I mean like random conversations ive had, general feeling about the Sixers whatever

they have been trying to be bad. and they have been really damn good at it.

But "bad" is really just a subjective term when it comes to the entertainment value rather than going strictly by wins/losses. I've still enjoyed watching the basketball put out by the team because its still MY team.

I'm happy we are seeing the other side of the tank, but don't kid yourself - the last couple years have been filled with absolutely brutal basketball with negligible entertainment value. And that's coming from someone who remembers Clarence Witherspoon being in the dunk contest.

The biggest question mark at this point is Brown. He drew up a nice play to win tonight, but usually he's a double talking inept fuck. They need to be careful because, if you watched the Simmons documentary, he really wanted to go to LA. Everything needs to click in the next 2 to 3 years. They are going to be filled to the brim with talent, but I have no confidence that anyone in the organization actually knows what they are doing.

This next year is going to be when I finally reach a conclusion on Brett Brown. If the Sixers don't make the playoffs, I think he should get fired

fuck improvement, they really can't get much worse record wise. If they don't make the playoffs next year with a healthy embiid, simmons, and this years draftees, I'll agree with you porkchops

but for now, I'm giving the organization the benefit of the doubt

I thought Tony Wroten was a fun player to watch. KJ McDaniels kind of caught a bad
break getting traded to Houston, I liked watching him play. Jerami Grant had his moments.

Shameless self-quote from 2014

I don't know when exactly it happened, but I just feel really good about the Sixers right now . It's easy to just assume both Embiid and Noel will get re-injured but let's just assume they both dont. I see that being the best frontcourt in the NBA in two years when Embiid comes back.

Did anyone even watch this guy play in college? He's a fucking freak, and if it weren't for the injury he'd be number one and the Sixers probably would have drafted Wiggins.

so that injury could either be the best or worst thing to happen to the Sixers, but Id like to think it will be the former.

They both move so well for big men, I see this team becoming the next lob city when everything comes together since MCW forces a lot of fast breaks with his defense

with two legitimate shot blockers around the rim, teams are going to have to settle for a lot of shots, which is really the best way to beat superstars since it becomes more just about their shot making which is always random.

and watch Jerami Grant become a contributor right away. He is all over the box score, and will probably be a pretty good defender in the NBA

the problem remains however, this team has little to no outside shooters. What's the point of having two skilled big men if there isnt anyone to take advantage of open looks?

pretty much no point really, but they have the luxury of wanting to suck as I pointed out after the draft

and they will this year, they will be absolutely horrible

and I love it. A lot of people have forgotten about the Sixers here, but I just have a feeling after this year the team is going to really come together and ill be able to drive my 2016 Bandwagon right into the playoffs.

then again it's not really a bandwagon if you've stuck through the Evan Turner/Andrew Bynum/Spencer Hawes era

I almost had to bail on the Sixers with the Wiggins thing but now I'm glad it didnt come to that

enhanced-buzz-17209-1426277431-12.jpg

Turns out the Timberwolves... aren't that good...

Who would HAVE THUNK IT?

Other stuff that was legit said in previous NBA threads that were real knee slappers

"Anthony Davis isn't even that good"

"DeMarcus Cousins will never make an All Star Team"

"Tyreke Evans is a change of scenery away from being the next LeBron" (I'll own that one)

"Jahlil Okafor will win Rookie of the Year" (also gotta own that one)

I was a warriors fan before it was cool

Quoting this stuff makes me feel better about myself

WOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited: