• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Marijuana - Inexperienced - Horrifying Trip on WEED - Was this normal???

PadmaLove

Greenlighter
It's been exactly one week to the day since this horrible experience I had after smoking weed.
So the backstory is that I am very new to smoking weed. All together about 3 times and last week was my fourth time. I went to my boyfriend's house to smoke and sip wine and relax. I hadn't eaten dinner yet but we planned to get food right after we smoked. I had about 3 sips of wine first (Ive had wine and weed together in the past) My boyfriend said he had gotten a strong strain of marijuana this time but I just expected an even more enjoyable feeling. Nothing bad.

So as we are smoking I start getting rushes of a good feeling all through my body. Head floating. Happy. All the good feelings I remember having in previous experiences. But then as we were talking it became hard for me to speak or think of what it is I wanted to say. We walked to the couch to kick back. I couldn't talk at this moment and I remember thinking "just relax".
But then my thoughts went out of control and I started to believe that this weird feeling would never stop. I felt stuck, anxious, restless and very afraid. I didn't think "oh I'm high" I thought "Something terrible has happened and my life is over" I thought I would die.
This trip lasted about an hour but honestly it felt like 8. Within that time I let my boyfriend know something was very wrong & I just wanted to go outside to stop this. He tried to get me to calm down but I couldn't. I rushed to the door opened it and thats when I started getting déjà vu/weird seeing the future trips. Like this moment had happened before a million times. I didn't get outside because eventually my boyfriend was able to calm me down in the stairwell. I remember thinking that I just have to have a specific thought and if I had that one specific thought everything would stop, I would come to. I had to stop thinking thoughts that I had already thought. I had to think two separate thoufhts, one after the other without them running back over each other. Weird shit. I was perceiving everything like in a movie that was stuck and kept flickering back on itself. My existence split into two. In one I was predicting things and feeling all of the emotions as if they were all coming true although not all of the things I predicted came true and in the second one I was watching myself and I knew this wasn't real and I would be fine but it was so hard to internalize and believe that part because it was happening. For example at one point I was rushing down the stairwell to leave and thought: "no, go back". And as I turned to go back up to find my bf I thought oh shit he's going to call 911 and when I see him he'll have his phone in his hand and he'll be very fed up with this weird shit I'm going through. But turns out he didn't call 911. Only my heart was pounding and I was panicked and very afraid as if he had. It was like I was experiencing two realities. I remember asking him. "Did u call them?" I remember everything about this experience.
So eventually the high wore off enough where I felt like I'm ok and I could feel myself gripping reality again (and so embarrassed for ruining our night) but we were locked out so he had to go out and climb up into his apartment window. And so I waited for him and I guess I zoned out while waiting and I honestly felt like I had slipped back into this weird trip again. Heart racing, anxiety and that glitchy way of experiencing time and events. The best way to describe it is like seeing the future or déjà vu. It became hard to move my body I remember sitting on his couch truly stuck in every way. Repeating thoughts an insane amount of times. Thinking I had lost my mind. Breathing even became hard and I was terrified to fall asleep. I think I might've fallen asleep with my eyes open. I felt so sad and so heavy sitting next to him, my mind was thoroughly convinced this would never ever end. That this was the new normal.
Eventually I was able to go to bed with him and tried my best to remember that I'm just high and it will end. When I woke up in the morning I felt so good. So sober and so relieved lol.
Honestly I have never experienced anything like that in my life and I never want to experience anything like that again. As much as I enjoyed getting mildly high in the past I will never, ever, ever smoke again. What I've written here is just about half of what I experienced that night. A lot if it is inexplicable or too personal to even share but I'm sharing it just in case anyone else out there has had a similar experience.
Has. Anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_marijuana
substancecode_cannabis
explevel_inexperienced
exptype_negative
exptype_difficult
roacode_smoked
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd call that getting too high with little to no tolerance. I was a victim of it a few times... Worst was with a 'Spice' product from a gas station. 16 hours of being totally fucked out of my mind hallucinating heart rate at like 150 and panic anxiety through the roof.

First time I ever got truly high I was a teenager and it was awful. I've smoked and gotten bloodshot eyes etc about 10 times before this, but this time I guess really good weed, I remember sitting on my bed with my girlfriend and being irrationally frustrated .... "Why does this never fucking work for me!!?"
Then we went in the bathroom I believe to shower together and I looked up in the mirror.... My voice echoed back and forth and I went into full panic attack. Another 6 hours of hell and I didn't sleep for two days after it. Some of us just aren't meant to smoke. I have friends that do huge dabs of the oil stuff 24/7 and act completely normal. I sometimes get anxious by just smelling the weed........ maybe you should stick to a different drug, if any at all! Booze for me!

I would have to agree with Anxious here. I remember times when i was inexperienced with cannabis where i would be super paranoid, anxious and overly self-aware and it was not cool. It won't take too many times before those feelings go away and you can just enjoy being high. Haha!

Or just stick to the wine! lol

I have a paranoid 'trip' every time I smoke weed lol I thought that was standard it only lasts about 5 mins though. The worst time was the first time though it was about as intense as you described but only lasted about 10 mins....maybe you're just unlucky or there's some other drugs still in your system fucking you over...?

Drinking on an empty stomach then smoking. I have had similar experiences.

^ 3 sips of wine shouldn't have had much of any effect at all.

Yeah it's not uncommon for people to have extremely intense, anxiety-producing trips on weed, especially with no tolerance and little experience and too strong a strain. Marijuana can produce anxiety more strongly than many drugs, especially for some people. I've had intense anxiety a variety of times on weed, though it's never traumatized me or made med not want to smoke again... I really like weed. One time I had eaten edibles and then smoked, and I had a few hours where I was in this loop where I would suddenly, for seemingly no reason, start to feel this really intense existential panic, like something truly horrible was happening or about to happen. It felt horrible, absolutely terrifying, but then I'd realize I had nothing to worry about and was just really high and calm down, only to find myself panicking again a few minutes later. And this was after I'd been smoking weed for 8 or 9 years, every day.

To be honest some people just don't mesh with weed. I am one of those people. Rather it is weed alone or mixed with something else. Also depends on the strain/quality of the weed. There was only one time I had a good experience on weed. And it was when I had taken a crap load of phenibut a few hours before. I was having fun, laughing, talking. Usually weed makes me feel more introverted than i normally am anyways.

A lot of people I know smoke weed. I have just come to accept the fact that weed is just not for me. I have tried it so many time and all the time I kept wondering "when will this stop, when will I be sober again" because the feeling was not great.

Could have been salvia. To the amateur eye they look the same. Its a strong hallucinagin that doesn't last long. People pass it off as weed in bars here in NYC just to Snapchat the aftermath. I hate people. Not y'all though lol.

Yes I had a terrible weed + lsd experience when I was 21. Subsequently I found I could not tolerate weed at all without going back to the same panicky state.
So I stopped using weed entirely for about 40 years.

If you were drinking a good bit and the smoking you probably got really cross faded. Sometimes that happens and for me personally it's very hit or miss. Sounds like you smoked too much and got uncomfortably high.

Came across this not too long ago:

"Cannabis plus alcohol is one of the most frequently detected drug combinations in car accidents, yet the interaction of these two compounds is still poorly understood. A study appearing online today in Clinical Chemistry, the journal of AACC, shows for the first time that the simultaneous use of alcohol and cannabis produces significantly higher blood concentrations of cannabis’s main psychoactive constituent, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), as well as THC’s primary active metabolite, 11-hydroxy-THC (11-OH-THC), than cannabis use alone."

maybe highly potent strain + alcohol unknowingly had your thc levels too high for you too handle(subjective though)

On a lighter note listen to what Terrance Mckenna said: https://youtu.be/bYjkxotJL9A

Last edited:
cannabis is not for everybody. I tried it once back in the 70's when it wasn't strong and it made me paranoid. I almost had an anxiety attack. they told me the more you smoke the paranoia goes away. I never smoked it again

Haha, the more you smoke the more the paranoia and anxiety happens, not the opposite. If you are a person who gets anxiety from weed, smoking more is certainly not the answer.

Don't feel bad, I now freak out and have episodes on weed that feels like I'm gonna die or my heart is gonna explode. I guess being thirty years old i cant habdle it anymore. Sometimes i wonder if marijuana is sprayed with k2 nowadays to increase profit. Because when I was in prison I had smoked k2 as it was the only drug around, and I would freak out on it just like weed makes me freak out! I never eve freaked out on weed in my life! Now I have been the last few times. ..your not alone

Sometimes i wonder if marijuana is sprayed with k2 nowadays to increase profit. Because when I was in prison I had smoked k2 as it was the only drug around, and I would freak out on it just like weed makes me freak out!

One bizarre 'strain' I had back when I was a freshmen in college was a bit suspect in this regard to me. I wasn't sure what it could have been, but it was different than a normal cannabis high. Basically, the stuff just had me far more smacked than weed normally does. Basically, I started seeing all kinds of weird symbols and images from my childhood and began speaking to myself in gibberish and basically becoming completely non-verbal. I just basically stumbled around my house incoherently starting to hallucinate a bit. To be honest, I liked it enough to do the stuff twice, yet I knew it had to be something other than just weed. Weed has never caused anything remotely like that for me other than this one 'strain'. In lower doses, it was just an oddly dissociated high, whereas once you crossed a certain threshold....... the stuff just made you completely incoherent...... I also literally became paralyzed as the couchlock was so intense at one point as I was passing out after throwing up from eating so much. Having been high hundreds of times, this state was just something different. Don't know what exactly, but does this sound like JWH-018 or something along those lines. I wasn't really paranoid, just incoherent to the point of not being able to string words together coherently. For some odd reason, people seemed to think it wasn't laced...... yet none of the other few hundred strains I've had caused this for me :? My one friend seemed to think that it might've been something other than just weed but didn't have any ideas as to what and neither did I really.

"Laced weed" almost never happens (and when it does it's usually intentional, as the substances used to lace marijuana are pretty much invariably more profitable to sell on their own, considering the fact that marijuana is dirt cheap in most of the United States). Chances are that you just smoked good weed and got really stoned.

Also, the idea of "this never happened to me before with weed, what gives?" : sometimes as you get older the effects of marijuana change for the user, due to physiological or environmental factors.

yeah this happens to me every time I smoke now and I hate it. I start to get anxious but super lazy and unmotivated and the whole world seems fake and plastic to me and I get very self conscious about myself. I also tend to hate other people when I'm stoned and feel really embarrassed and it changes my reality completely. I get weirder, extremely intrusive thoughts with weed than I do with any other drug. Like uncontrollable, absolutely bizarre and uncomfortable thoughts! It sucks. I can handle other psychedelics but never weed. You could have smoked too much for your tolerance...I know my bad experiences started last year when I dabbed for the first time and took about 10 dabs. It was AWFUL. Drugs affect people differently, don't worry. It could have been an intense panic attack as well. I wold advise you to stop smoking. If you do smoke again sometime and this happens, just eat something really sugary to bring down the high, or take a light dose of a benzo (if you're cool with that) and try to go to sleep. Just lay down and rest and reassure yourself it's just the drug and everything will be back to normal. Dont worry, you're fine! Lots of people have bad reactions to pot. :)

I'm also one of the very unlucky ones who gets panic attacks from weed, so scared of that shit I won't even be around people who smoke it because it puts me on edge.

probably normal.

Can't resist the urge to add my $0.02 to this old-ish post...

My 1st guess would be a strong CB1 agonist... be it a powerful sativa (my personal fave :)) OR something like JWH-018. Sativas and these synthetic potent CB1 agonists can be very, very anxiety producing. (esp. tropical strains and strains made from them- thai, mexican ... modern strains like haze, kali mist... plus the other components of these strains tend to heighten, not reduce, the trippy, up effects of these strains)

Had the OP been more experienced, I'd lean toward synths, but this could simply be hi-test sativa in the less-adapted brain.

Many- but not all- indica and S-I hybrids have enough CBD to mellow out the CB1 effects of THC. The Mrs is kinda susceptible to the anxiety, but I am not.

I hope the OP has worked this all out and remains well.

For others struggling with pot and anxiety... look for heavy/medicinal indica strains. They may reduce the anxiety to tolerable levels. But might not, too.