• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why is it that Christians are so quick to judge Athiest/Agnostic individuals?

Like the entire premise of this thread?

My judgemental post fit in quite nicely.

If I was often judgemental I would be thrown in the Gulag as a Massachusetts resident.

Also Jesus forbid judgement, any time I do so on the forum I was loose and high. It's actually a sin and not a Christian characteristic, but I don't deny this sin is unfortunately common.

(I just did it thanks alasddt or however it's spelled.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its always been my interpretation of Christianity that only God is fit to cast judgment on people. Nobody else.

Largely because it's not for a sinner to cast judgment on another sinner. And all humans are sinners. Only God is without sin and right to cast judgment.

Correct
John 8:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Among other verses.

It does seem pretty random that Christianity is not to be judgmental at its most basic belief but the most judgment people I've met are quick to call themselves Christian. Yet judging the reality of their own beliefs is something they seem to fear, despite the biblical truth that "perfect love casts out all fear".

In my escape from judgemental religion I used obviously provable philosophical points, one at a time, and read the bible again but taking it seriously to study it and show that I didn't need to be condemned by religious law by understanding the truth where I was able and dismissing fairy tales when they became obvious.

The best thing that could ever happen followed, life became fun even exciting. Dull and boring left my mind and the reality of where I am and what I am became fairly apparent, not in a way in can share but I lost any real need to prove anything anymore. Suddenly instead of seeking I was fine with being where I was. Along the way I've learned to experience what is actually taking place and just laugh at the first 53 years of my life.

My belief is really just mine now, it doesn't need validation and as I progress through the rest of my life it will change. Never again will I take the view that I have found the final answer. Life is an amazing experience and I'm living the piss out of it.

There's a lot of horrible churches today: many believe we should glass the middle East for Israel (guess they read the bizarro Bible.)

Correct
John 8:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Among other verses.
indeed.

i'd have more time for a lot of christians if they acted a bit more, you know, christ-like.

:\

alasdair

This whole thing about the Old Testament being obsolete and Jesus coming in and being all cool and modern and stuff.

The Bible said:
Matthew 5:17 King James Version (KJV)

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

The thing about it that really gets me is that, in my experience with Christianity (I grew up going to church every week), these people are NOT being "literal Christians". If you're being right on with the Bible, you have to follow the New Testament, not the Old Testament. The OT is the one with all the judgment and hate and killing. The NT, although some of the books do say some objectionable things here and there, basically consists of Jesus saying, alright guys, the way we're doing things (ie, the Old Testament way) is just plain wrong, you need to love everyone, and let's get money out of the church, and let's redistribute the wealth from the wealthy to all people, and by the way god loves everyone. It's so weird to me how people get it so twisted. Of course that's not new, Catholicism was started by the Romans around year 300 in order to co-opt the rising new Christ movement to maintain control over the people. A while after that came the Crusades, and hundreds of years of brutal imperialism in the name of Christianity. Like always, the people in control realize that religion is the most powerful way to control people so they've done just like the Romans did so long ago and co-opted it to suit their purposes.

It certainly is refreshing to meet people who see past that and actually use religion to be good people, as it was intended. My mom is like that, which is probably why even though I am not religious, I respect when people are and I don't lump them all together as hateful zealots. Just some of them are.

So if it's the same god for the old and new testament then god somehow decided he was fos and needed to correct himself and quit being a hateful jealous (read insecure) prick?

No, Jesus completed the Bible... It's complicated but makes perfect sense, I'll try and brush up some theology for a correct and coherent explanation... Jesus took on our sins when he died on the cross in a crown of thorns

But who made us sinners? Wasn't it the same guy who is forgiving them? Hell of a system.

But who made us sinners? Wasn't it the same guy who is forgiving them? Hell of a system.

*panic button response*

He works in mysterious ways...

Btw, treezy...why hasn't God ever healed an amputee?

My favorite is "God helps those who help themselves". :D

I was about 9 or so when I figured out, "If God knows everything, why even create those of us who will end up going to Hell? What's the point of this game in the first place? If he wants everyone to believe in Him and accept his son as their savior, why not just come down and tell us?"

What does a persons ability to believe something illogical, with no evidence whatsoever, have to do with where they should spend eternity?

God gave us free will... Would you prefer not having this? A relationship with God is a journey, he's not Santa Claus... Life on Earth is difficult, Jesus didn't teach us to live in luxury and carnal pleasure... Study the Talmud for that, not the Bible

^ you describe yourself as a christian treezy?

what does that mean to you?

alasdair