• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why is it that Christians are so quick to judge Athiest/Agnostic individuals?

Hitchens had an intense flare, yes. I recall Harris saying something like, "The man had more wit, and style, and substance than a few civilizations I could name."

If someone is an atheist or agnostic quietly it's whatever. I live in MA so it's mostly satanic atheistic half rapping ass motherfuckers I can't worry about it when 75% prefer mao to Jesus.

The militant atheists bother me. Go to hell, but go alone don't try and drag others there with you. Atheism never saved anyone's life.

Atheism or Agnosticism saved my emotional life that's for sure. I was badly abused by the Baptist form of the christian religion in childhood. Had I not found a way to drop the negative beliefs around it I really do think I'd have killed myself by now. Or maybe killed my Dad and be in prison.

I was raised agnostic. Today I cannot stand a person, that is not obsessed with finding out about what is going on in the afterlife or whether there are forces that are not computable through physics. Most agnostics are just ignorant and lazy. As a real atheist you at least are convinced, that no god exists, in a way you praise Nietzsche, so the faith is the denial of any sort of metaphysical force opposed to agnostics, who just do not care, because they cannot grasp it (in their view).

It is a shame how people turn away from any sort of spiritual search because some subhuman abused a religion to abuse them in the past. My purpose would be (and is) to eliminate all of them to rescue genuine empathetic truth seekers from the paws of the abyss (in a metaphorical non Christian sense).

Ignorant and lazy? I don't understand how you can make that connection.

I find agnosticism to be the most logical.

No proof, no belief. Proof, belief. No dissmissing something that is unfalsifiable, no encouraging something that cannot be proven true or false to the scientific community.

I'm sure a lot of agnostics care. Agnosticism is just a place holder, a stance. It isn't a set religion.

_________

I hope you were kidding. If this is sarcasm, I apologize for not picking up on it. But you seemed to hop into a thread about passing rash judgement on Atheistic/Agnostic individuals, giving no rhyme or reasonable answer to the actual question, and coming out of the gate insulting agnostics.

Thus proving the initial question a worthy one to ask.

With no regard for some in here who could be agnostic.

Even though I'm not one of them. lol.

_________

But it's your opinion. idk.

Most religious people are gullible and desperate.

Oh wait, I cant say that about religious people, they are exempt from both taxes and insults. Atheists and agnostics are fair game because they are ignorant materialists. :|

Who besides me is a bit tired of the double standard?

^

I've even defended religious views in this thread. Tolerant, modern views.

I wouldn't want to jump down the throat of a Christian insulting and passing my righteous judgement, generalizing them and insulting them.

It doesn't play both ways. I don't agree with the premise of this thread, but it was a reaction to the trolling thread by the banned and temporal fellow about 'smug atheists'.

In truth, my above post was pretty off-the-cuff but I do think there is a contradiction in the expectations placed upon proponents of the various views in this debate. There are indeed spiteful atheists and neutral atheists, just as there is an entire spectrum of believers. But I feel that the side of theism resorts more quickly to irrelevant 'criticism', but maybe that's just because our socieites frown upon similar language towards religion.

I wonder though if the very nature of the atheist belief is seen as a default insult on the opposing view.

If someone is an atheist or agnostic quietly it's whatever. I live in MA so it's mostly satanic atheistic half rapping ass motherfuckers I can't worry about it when 75% prefer mao to Jesus.

The militant atheists bother me. Go to hell, but go alone don't try and drag others there with you. Atheism never saved anyone's life.

So in your view, religious people are the only ones who should be able to be vocal about their views? Everyone slse should just shut up? Sorry bud, it doesn't work that way. "Atheism never saved anyone's life", you say, well I say religion has lead to alot more people dead than it has ever saved by a huge proportion. Every day people are dying in the name of religion, but you're more worried about atheists dragging people to some so called "hell" with them? Give me a fucking break.

It doesn't play both ways. I don't agree with the premise of this thread, but it was a reaction to the trolling thread by the banned and temporal fellow about 'smug atheists'.

In truth, my above post was pretty off-the-cuff but I do think there is a contradiction in the expectations placed upon proponents of the various views in this debate. There are indeed spiteful atheists and neutral atheists, just as there is an entire spectrum of believers. But I feel that the side of theism resorts more quickly to irrelevant 'criticism', but maybe that's just because our socieites frown upon similar language towards religion.

I wonder though if the very nature of the atheist belief is seen as a default insult on the opposing view.

Mhm, I was(am) in agreeance with you.

^I sensed it. My post was perhaps unclear, my apologies. :) I was agreeing with you too.

Well in simple terms, they're stupid

Snap judgements like that are the hallmark of someone who is lazy enough to use logic broadly.

I just got finished reading that "Smug Athiest" thread, and while I'm now sitting here with a headache, it got me thinking about something I've found myself pondering before. Why is it that so many Christians, (the majority, in my experience) immediately attack non-thiests for their beliefs, or lack thereof? I'm somewhere between Athiest and Agnostic, although I was raised Catholic for 16 years. I honestly do not care what anyone believes in. I don't care. The shits? They're not given. Nowhere, are there any shits of mine to be found. If you make the choice; or are born into it, to believe in a God/s, then who am I, or anyone for that matter, to tell you that you're wrong? I will never judge an individual just because they believe there is an invisible, omnipotent, supreme creator that lives in the sky. Do I share that belief? Hell no. But if it gives you something to hold onto, then that's wonderful. All I care about is that you're a good human being, who doesn't wrong others. That's literally all that matters - whether or not you are a genuinely good person. NOW, here's where Christians bother me. It seems like 80+% of Christians who learn about my lack of belief, immediately jump to telling me that I'm wrong - HOW I'm wrong, and why I should turn to God before it's too late. I'm accused of being some "faithless sinner" who needs to find Jesus. They'll drone on, in such absurd blind certainty, about this God, and how he/she is real, and all the substantial "evidence" directly pointing to this God, and how ludicrous of a notion it is that one could ever reject the invisible man in the sky. Athiests are vilified and attacked for making a choice, as equally viable as the choice Christians make. If you want to be so good and accepting of others, the way the bibles says your God wants us to be, then I feel like you're doing him/her a tremendous disservice by judging people for being individuals and making choices of their own. I feel like that's part of the hypocrisy of Christianity. Be good to everyone and believe in God, or you'll go to hell. But don't be good to the Athiests and the gays, and the shrimp eaters, and the masturbaters, and do everything you can to convert them to the same blind faith that you hold in such high regard. Just think about that logic for a second. I'm not attacking Christians here, I'm really not, I promise. I have a few Christian friends who don't preach to me, and accept me for who I am and what I believe. But I encounter far more like the ones I have mentioned above, (including my mother, who I live with - you can imagine the tension). I don't know. I never pick fights, or get into theological debates with Christians, because I accept you know matter what you believe. But if you're going to vilify and and lecture us Athiests about how wrong you think we are, then maybe you should take a moment to stop and think to yourself, "Which one of us would God judge right now for our behavior towards the other?".

Genuine atheists are no different than what Christ wanted. Just a relaxed guy who loves his family and neighbors and doesn't worry, and is humble. No need to think too hard about worship.

But in reality atheism is a rebellion against Good of society. Its when everyone brings up their own wants and ideas and the world literally ends.

Look at how modern people are heading without the magic "conservative" value.

Atheism is NOT a "rebellion against Good" though I think that was a typo. If god doesn't exists, than it is humans that invented morality, right and wrong. We evidently don't need god to create or to try to create an equitable society.

because atheism is suggests a blatant disregard for a belief system that judges faith as something that is supposed to be indisputable.
atheism suggests that everything that you know and believe in is wrong and so of course there's gonna be some quick judgement.

or some shit. idk

The discussion in this thread has been so civil it is actually impressive. Most perspectives are covered really well except for the obviously missing apology from the judgmental Christians.

Although I hope never to be one I'm certain I've spewed my personal beliefs all over some poor unsuspecting victim at some point, hopefully not here, sorry about that if I have.

Of all religious beliefs, Christianity is simple and as a result is the 'goto' religion of the masses. The simple biblical threat against being judgemental should warn away the vocal minority, I just don't know they understand it themselves. Which leads back to better education, something everyone benefits from.

The task of working on yourself rather than others is missing in a lot of personal religious beliefs, I think the forceful domination of religions flying a Christian flag over the last thousand years is something every christian should learn from, God will defend himself, he may not consider being a judgemental shit head towards others something he wants as part of his reputation.

IMO, as a Christian I will be judged more harshly by God for how I represent him. My obligation to humanity is to not judge but to serve them in a capacity that represents his love for humanity not my opinion of their lives.

Personally I welcome the judgement of others, it's nice when it is understandable and has a point, much like the majority of atheist and agnostic contributors on this thread.

IMO, as a Christian I will be judged more harshly by God for how I represent him. My obligation to humanity is to not judge but to serve them in a capacity that represents his love for humanity not my opinion of their lives.

That is very noble of you. Spirituality can get very intellectual and real generousity and love for your neighbour can often be missing. At the same time, I think it's important to try to add something intellectual because of the way believers tend to be portrayed as naive idiots, which you don't necessarily need to be.

It's the nature of faith. They suposely have found the absolute truth in their religion, it makes sense why they would be pasionate in defending their opinions. What annoies me more is atheist being aggresive when defending their opinion. I mean, if they are right, they actually talk about something that doesn't realy matter, and still they are likely to declare a holly war against non-atheists.

Theists declared war on atheists hundreds of years ago.

By certain logic, religion has been immensely destructive and should be vehemently rebutted. On the other hand, becoming aggressive helps no-one. I mean no offense with my disbelief but I don't hold back if challenged.

... religion has been immensely destructive and should be vehemently rebutted. On the other hand, becoming aggressive helps no-one.

This is just true.

Few adherents to religious beliefs act as their belief system recommends because they are just as much of a work in progress as the rest of humanity. The issues come in when they decide things like the bible is the infallible word of God. BTW this was decided apx 400-500 years ago not when it was written or even when it was originally canonized.

Religion has a value if it serves the population including non adherents, when it doesn't do this it has no value. Religion used as a tool to judge should only be for self judgement. Luckily the churches are in decline and it is less popular to be religious. Saying that I've started attending now after 16 years, the crowd is smaller less judgemental and I think the evangelical pride has taken a beating, maybe now it can start doing a bit more good. Personally I feel too many people with limited understanding in various religious groups get shoved out into the world to 'evangelize'.

Living in a bible belt town I get about 1 a week coming to my door, it is so tempting to answer the door nude. I used to rip them to pieces using their own texts but I've mellowed out with age now I try to be constructive and critique their speel for them. They don't like that either usually but this year I have not made any cry. I think Swillow has hit it on the head with becoming aggressive helps no-one one.