Writing-up King's College London University study on the use of anabolic steroids

Barnaby Carter

Greenlighter
Hello,
My name is Barnaby Carter and I am a current King’s College Student in London. I would like to invite you to participate in this King’s College London postgraduate research project on the use of anabolic steroids and we are currently looking for volunteers.
If you are 18 years of age and over, have used anabolic steroids in the last 12 months and would like to take part please click on the link below to complete the questionnaire. It will only take 15-25 minutes to complete.
This study once published will aim to educate medical healthcare professionals, users and prospective users on the effects of anabolic steroids and aid in the harm reduction and safety of all sporting environments. We believe the more literature on the subject the more awareness and subsequent safety there will be.
It is completely anonymous and confidential so that no identification of you as the participant or the club or gym you belong will be possible. You should only participate if you want to: choosing not to take part will not disadvantage you in any way.
Before you decide whether you want to take part, it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what your participation involves. Please click on the link below to read our participant information sheet and partake in the study.

https://kings.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/use-of-androgenic-anabolic-steroids

Interesting survey, I hope some of you will take the time to complete....

Although, I think there could have been further questions asked..

Have you consulted with a medical professional regarding your use of AAS, do you take that advice..

Do you modulate compounds and dose for less harmful side effects..

Do you research compounds from a health perspective, do you practice safer use..

Do you take sufficient time off..

Thoughts anyone..?

Thank you for taking the time to complete it and to give me some feedback.

I may have to construct a similar survey in the future as I would like to do a PhD so your points are really useful.

Barnaby youre the first person ive seen post this and actually reply

Where does this survey come from and what is its purpose? Where do the results go and where will they be posted? ive seen this posted many times but no one ever replys to it

The survey was constructed by myself for my neuroscience masters project. Its aim is to collect data in which we can address three main points in particular; Reasons for steroid use, effects of steroids and where are the steroids sourced from. This will (once the project is complete) be used to add to the current literature to educate healthcare professionals, users and potential users on steroid use.

This is mainly because while researching the project we came across literature stating that medical professionals do not receive many patients that use steroids (or inform the nurse/doctor) they are taking them. Alongside this there can never be enough information out there to aid in risk reduction and further education to ensure the safety for all those partaking in sports and recreational activities.

Once the study is complete you may see the finished result via this website; http://www.projectcassandra.eu

I hope all of this helps?

KCL alumni here ;)

Some issues with the questions as they are:

In what ways have you taken - injection/oral - isn't an ideal question, since bodybuilders intrinsically use both as complementary methods. So you're forcing a false choice. And obviously oral steroids come with significant potential harms that many injectables do not. This would be important for a GP - for example in requesting liver blood tests.

Price - you have no option for 'no change in price', which clearly should be a valid option.

In addition to suggestions made above, it might help if you actually ask what harm reduction steps are taken while using AAS. You would probably need to make this an open ended question unless you actually know the standard HR practices undertaken. Some of us go much further than others in our approach to harm reduction.

Also questions like

In the last 12 months, how difficult did you find it to stop, or go without anabolic steroids? (Please tick the option that most applies to you)
Not difficult
Quite difficult
Very Difficult
Impossible

Are worded kind of poorly, as I haven't came off of everything totally but have ceased certain compounds etc and came down to a trt dose of testosterone. So I guess coming off of say tren for me would be "mildy difficult?" I suppose, but not really since I know my body needs rest and also the taxing side mentally.

Just noticed a few questions kind of like that, and also there could be more questions regarding what Genetic Freak mentioned.

Re-post of a King's College London study on the use of anabolic steroids

Hello,

My name is Barnaby Carter and I am a current King’s College Student in London. I would like to invite you to participate in this King’s College London postgraduate research project on the use of anabolic steroids and we are currently looking for volunteers.

If you are 18 years of age and over, have used anabolic steroids in the last 12 months and would like to take part please click on the link below to complete the questionnaire. It will only take 15-25 minutes to complete.

This study once published will aim to educate medical healthcare professionals, users and prospective users on the effects of anabolic steroids and aid in the harm reduction and safety of all sporting environments. We believe the more literature on the subject the more awareness and subsequent safety there will be.

It is completely anonymous and confidential so that no identification of you as the participant or the club or gym you belong will be possible. You should only participate if you want to: choosing not to take part will not disadvantage you in any way.

Before you decide whether you want to take part, it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what your participation involves. Please click on the link below to read our participant information sheet and partake in the study.

I dunno....

See the thing with is as i mentioned in the other post im a member of a few BBing message boards, and this person or someone similar has posted this on the message boards.

Its been going on the past year or two...really makes you wonder

Hello,

Hi there Genetic Freak, I am still in need of more participants for the survey and wondered if it was at all possible for you to aid in the advertisement for this study? Don't worry if not it was just an idea to get some more participants and answers for my project.

Kind Reagrds

Don't keep reposting the same thread please Barnaby, I've just merged them all. You can always bump a thread if you want to bring it to the top of the forum.