• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Will my body recover?

Dcole461

Bluelighter
Hi blue/greenlighters!

I am in the process of quitting (crystal meth) for good. I went from a ball a week to a gram a week. I've only been smoking for 4 months but the last two months were pretty heavy. I have been to the doctor for ecg's and to check out my longs. They say everything is normal for a health 28 yo male. So my question is, one of the things keeping me from stopping is the idea that I've already cut years off my life so what does it matter? I do have a plan to stop because I'll stop for sure when I go to school (I'll be going for veterinary medicine, my dream, and I'm not going to let drugs fuck it up). But school is 2 years away. Crystal also does help me forget the crushing sadness that my divorce has left me with. Not to mention I've always been suicidal and have tried twice in the past even before I started meth.

My main question is, how much will my body recover from when I stop meth? I'm not a heavy user that has done it for years so I should imagine the damage isn't too bad. And also, for those of you who have used drugs to escape, did you ever find a better way?

Thank you,

David

It will recover 100%, you might actually draw a benefit in terms of cardiac output since having a high heart rate on meth for so long has made your heart grow in volume. It's kind of similar to doing jogging twice a day for 2 hours, it makes your heart grow, by having it operate above 120bpm, so then your heart rate at rest would be lower then it used to be, any sports professional will know what I'm talking about.

When it comes to a better way, there is a physicality about it. Reward in life is given by dopamine. So it's like having a cat rapidly eating all the Whiskas, then have nothing for a month, envy on the cats eating a tiny bit of Whiskas all the time...you see...it all simplifies and reduces itself to the same common denominator which is: cats eating Whiskas. No matter how you put it, if you take the Whiskas away there is nothing left because it is a physicality. If I chop your arms off you can no longer shake hands. You're all matter, and you are all there is, or at least, all you need to worry about, for now.

What do you think you were experiencing the first time you fell in love with your girlfriend? Meth. So yes, your head is like a bucket in which chemicals mix. Sorry to burst your bubble, life is not that special, but it's definitely worth it and even if you think it's not, there's nothing else and this is never going to end no matter what you do. Even if you kill yourself. It's all going to come back no matter what, like it did when you were born. This, like, THIS whole thing, is here to stay, it's...a permanent curse. It won't go away. You can't turn it off, there's no off switch. Creation just has to keep creating...it has nothing else to do and nothing can stop it, not you, not I, not even creation can stop itself.

Last edited:
If you leave you're body alone, it WILL recover.
Hell, you might even live to be older than you would had you never done meth. The body is funny like that, but sometimes occasional prolonged stress can lead to a more profound homeostasis when you finally do recover.

The only thing worse than using drugs to escape life is using them to get into life. If that makes since.
So consider yourself lucky...chalk it up to being young & stupid.
Strike another match, go start anew.

And your body will recover completely, as long as you leave the bad stuff alone, and take care of it. You only get one.

Godspeed OP

It will recover 100%, you might actually draw a benefit in terms of cardiac output since having a high heart rate on meth for so long has made your heart grow in volume. It's kind of similar to doing jogging twice a day for 2 hours, it makes your heart grow, by having it operate above 120bpm, so then your heart rate at rest would be lower then it used to be, any sports professional will know what I'm talking about.

When it comes to a better way, there is a physicality about it. Reward in life is given by dopamine. So it's like having a cat rapidly eating all the Whiskas, then have nothing for a month, envy on the cats eating a tiny bit of Whiskas all the time...you see...it all simplifies and reduces itself to the same common denominator which is: cats eating Whiskas. No matter how you put it, if you take the Whiskas away there is nothing left because it is a physicality. If I chop your arms off you can no longer shake hands. You're all matter, and you are all there is, or at least, all you need to worry about, for now.

What do you think you were experiencing the first time you fell in love with your girlfriend? Meth. So yes, your head is like a bucket in which chemicals mix. Sorry to burst your bubble, life is not that special, but it's definitely worth it and even if you think it's not, there's nothing else and this is never going to end no matter what you do. Even if you kill yourself. It's all going to come back no matter what, like it did when you were born. This, like, THIS whole thing, is here to stay, it's...a permanent curse. It won't go away. You can't turn it off, there's no off switch. Creation just has to keep creating...it has nothing else to do and nothing can stop it, not you, not I, not even creation can stop itself.

Yes and remember the most I Portland thing is to believe in yourself. The human brain is amazing and so is urs

Maybe 100% maybe less, impossible to say

Stay away from drugs, eat healthy, sleep enough, sports, get as much sun as possible etc.

Regarding the other question:
Therapy helped me a lot to overcome the depression that lead to my drug abuse

Ksa, What a great post. Your 2nd paragraph made me laugh, the odd analogies are so funny. and I agree with you completely about death, suicide is not an escape. There is no escape from this wretched curse of creation. Still worth every moment of heaven and hell.

I've never heard of meth helping someone's heart health or brain for that matter. At least get some adderall or something clean I'd say if someone feels the need to abuse a stimulant, who knows what other chemicals are in street-grade methamphetamine and in and of itself I'm pretty sure it is neurotoxic as fuck

Last edited:
"Strike another match, go start anew" - nice Dylan quote. Baby Blue, a favorite GD encore of mine.

If it hasn't already been mentioned - when the time comes and the OP tries to quit the meth the rebound depression may drive more suicidal behaviour. And the two years b/w the post and start of school will be tough to get through without using meth unless they were to quit immediately and seek therapy and other help to prevent relapse. Bupropion might well be the best medication to switch to, or not. It did wonders for me after quitting stims multiple times. It cleans up the depression and for me was kinda like methdone for stim abuse. I have relapsed but only after going off bupropion.

Just some thoughts. I need to read the entire thread. I wanted to comment regardless b/c I feel this merits a critical to alert readers to the association b/w using meth for escaping depression and life circumstances and the consequences of quitting or the danger in escalating usage during that two year wait for school to begin.

OP & anyone in similar circumstances, please stop using meth now and maybe try bupropion it's not a typical AD, it is actually a mild stimulant, a cathinone (or analog) if ircc.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. The problem is I have tried almost every prescription drug for bipolar. I have been on bupropion before, although not for the purpose of trying to quit meth, just added to my daily cocktail. I really don't want to do meth anymore but in all honesty, it's the only thing that's ever really leveled out my mood.

How effective would adderall be as a replacement? Or desoxyn? I don't really know much about other stimulants (except coke but that's definitely not what I need lol). I'm not wanting the euphoria that meth brings, just enough to lift my depression. I'm trying very hard not to make excuses to do it and I haven't smoked any since my first post. Thanks for the help bluelighters!

I really think a step down from the meth to an adderall perscription is an appropriate response to your situation. From there, you can eventually taper off the adderall over time or choose to stay on.

Like speedballs said (and this cannot be emphasized enough) coming off meth has a nasty suicidality rebound effect. I have a history of attempts and excessive meth use and the worst days were those first couple weeks after quitting where I literally had to tell myself that despite being clean my thoughts were not my true thoughts and I had to ride it out. It was foolish being alone at those points regardless of how convincing I tried to be. As far as replacing that high with being high on life my best suggestion is to find something healthy to obsess over like starting a hobby and setting goals. Vet school was what I pursued too till my habits had me lose my scholarship and then my ability to attend classes and yeah...broke....homeless...don't keep on the road you're on. I can say for me that after quitting the urge to use meth disappeared quick (3-7 days) and as long as I didn't cave to the urge to use a pipe then it was way easier than quitting other habits I had. Even still if I crave it's the pipe fixation over the product. Needles still pull the hardest and longest hands down. Oh and lastly love is something you can't find because it has to find you. Take care of #1 for a while and the rest will fall in place.