• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Dosing Gabapentin Methadone Acute/Post Acute W/d

So multiple smaller doses of gabapentin seem to work better than higher doses taken all at once. I'm far from 100% but feeling much better. Being able to take meds on a set schedule instead of impulsively dosing is always a good sign :)

(7am - 1500mg w/ spicy ass pepper and some fat, protein and salt)
(8am - 900mg w/ a little more fat protein and salt)
(2pm - 600mg w/ a little fat, protein and salt)

I feel for you, really... I never really found anything to make the methadone kick any easier at all. I was on for 13 years, I quit in a hospital, was there for a month, and on relase, was still bouncing off the walls. So was my husband. I stayed clean for 2 years, but there were many reasons for that. (this was 20 years ago).. You don't need me to tell you what the kick is like, but I do hope to hear that you are making it work, that you are giving yourself a chance at whatever life we get to live, you know? these experiences change you, your sleep, your thinking, your - everything... You're my hero! Good luck:)

Celebrating 2 months by enjoying some iboga today :)

Not taking any gabapentin today, although I'll take 0.2mg of clonidine at bedtime.

I am currently detoxing off of 400mg of methadone. I tapered very fast over two weeks. Let me say this, it was the hardest thing I ever did. Then I start having the RSL really bad. So I researched and found that gabapentin can help. So I got a bottle from my doc and I am no longer restless. It is amazing. I still have the hot and cold spells but I can deal with those. My bowels have been up and down. I do have lupus so I am also in a flare which doesn't help. I am so glad that I feel much better on gabapentin. April

Gabapentin is a life saver for paws I kicked 150 mg Meth in a week and a day and hardly went through it I was expecting the worsed but I guess I'm lucky it was nothing my heroin and dilaudid withdrawals were hell this was easy peasy that being said a month after I was in debilitating paws depression anxiety no sleep constantly freezing I couldn't move I tried gabapentin and dosing 7-10 300mg pills 4 times a day I was completely fine infact better than fine the problem is i blew through my script in a week and ended up even worse off I swear I was going to die lol I'm just wondering if gabapentin causes withdrawal or just intensifies paws

Gabapentin will not intensify PAWS. If you take it at high enough doses and for long enough you may become dependent on it, but if you are using it for a month or two to detox from methadone this should not be a problem. Worst case scenario you can reduce your gabapentib dose slowly tapering off it so that you don't have to deal with a nasty kick. Having a hard time getting off gabapentin, while not unheard of, is not super common compared to opioids or benzos.

I came off methadone 90 mg's cold turkey and it was a new world of hell.
After getting off of it though, it's worth the pain, trust me.
The gabapentin will help you loads.

How many days has it been?
Are you down to 0 mg? or tapering?

Hi, I read your post and was wondering if you could give any tips on getting off methadone? I've been struggling for years with it and feel I'm never going to get there. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I don't think someone coming off 90mg methadone cold turkey necessarily has the best advice to offer someone hoping to successfully get off it. I don't mean to belittle w0w's insight into the process, but if you can at all avoid coming off it at a high dose cold turkey you are infinitely better off tapering off your dose at a more reasonable rate. That is how most people are successful getting off it, with higher rates of long term sobriety than those who jump off a high dose.

What does are you currently at?

If you're above 40mg decrease your dose by 5mg a week until you hit 40mg or start feeling minor withdrawals from tapering, then decrease the taper to 2mg a week. When you get down to 30mg or 20mg, whichever dose you feel it would be better to further slow the taper down, decrease your taper to reducing your dose by only 1mg ever week. When you get to 20mg, hang out there for a couple weeks. When you get down to 10mg, hang out there for a couple weeks to further stabilize. Then continue going down 1mg a week until you are around 5mg.

When you get down to 20mg, start working with a doctor outside the methadone clinic to get comfort meds organized for when you come off the methadone. Ideally you would have, at the very least, gabapentin, clonidine and a long acting benzodiazepine like diazepam or clonazepam (those are recognized as the traditional gold standard for methadone detoxes, and there is no doctor worth his salt would wouldn't be happy prescribing you them for when you jump off).

If you could also get a low dose of buprenorphine to take for a week or two after jumping off methadone that would be ideal, but isn't absolutely necessary (it is the new gold standard for methadone detoxes, but most doctors are still too unfamiliar with the medication to understand its significance as part of the detox protocol).

Last edited by a moderator: