• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Dosing Gabapentin Methadone Acute/Post Acute W/d

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Anyone have any experience taking high doses of gabapentin (3g) as opposed to smaller doses (300-900mg) to deal with side effects of methadone withdrawal. Please note over the years I have developed a somewhat strange and remarkable tolerance issues. It feel like when I take a whopper of the dose in the morning it makes much more of an impact when I take a second smaller dosage at the end of the day. Granted the 3g I have taken in the morning for the last two days is much later than the 12g doses I was taking at one point.

I know the drug is much more bioavailable in smaller doses taken with a bit of fat and salt (a piece of cheese on a cracker), I am curious as to whether this holds as true for what I am still going through and whether or not I should consider trying something else tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with smaller doses of gabapentin versus larger doses with the end acute/beginning post acute withdrawal from methadone.

What have you taken gabapentin for and how?

I would suggest eating something spicy with protein like hot sauce on eggs then take 1.5 grams first hour, second hour take another 1.5 grams.
See if that holds you, if not - increase by .5 grams and try not to exceed 7 grams.

Yeah, I'm trying to keep my dose as reasonable as possible simply because I have a limited supply and decided I want nothing to do with psychiatric medication. Time to move on from the prescription pad - kinda a big step for me. All in all I'm doing fine. I don't think I have enough gabapentin for more than a week or two, but I'm not worried about running out. That will just be the next step.

I will try your suggestion. I had an unexpected surgery a few weeks ago and today I made a small lunch that honestly feels like the first real-ish meal I've had in years. A little salami hash with steamed zucchini. Not exactly a normal meal for me by any means, but the majority of my food has been fruits and vegetables and water, especially since the surgery.

It sure feels good to have a full stomach. Sometimes I forget just how important that is.

I'm curious, why the chilis? I love them and have my favorites growing on the deck, so that is no problem. I do worry how it will affect my GI system though, I've been having the shits like crazy this week. So weird, almost two months off methadone and now I'm have the runs? wtf, seriously. . . that is my least favorite part of w/d next to RLS.

Something spicy seems to make the bioavailability of the gabapentin to increase, also antacids (soda) help a ton too!

Yeah - I used to have an unlimited supply of gabapentin & pregabalin, and used to use it in high dose for bupe & also pod wd. What I would say is that whilst you can push pregs really high, gabapentin has a ceiling above which there's no point taking more. For me it was 2400mg. I tried up to 4800mg in desparation, but it didn't feel any different from the 2400mg dose. May have lasted longer, but it was impossible to say what with the opiate wd symptoms to deal with too.

I don't know if you're into your psychedelics, but the very best drugs I ever found for opiate wd are DMT and LSD. DMT for a blissful 15 minute break from it all (including physical pain). LSD has the same effect, whilst peaking I forget all about my withdrawal troubles. I remember laughing at my pillow for about 4 hours because it was so good not to be in pain for the first time in 48 hours.

I'm curious, why the chilis? I love them and have my favorites growing on the deck, so that is no problem. I do worry how it will affect my GI system though, I've been having the shits like crazy this week. So weird, almost two months off methadone and now I'm have the runs? wtf, seriously. . . that is my least favorite part of w/d next to RLS.

TPD - you had major surgery on you GI tract - that is probably the reason. Your body has been through A LOT recently. I've been having several different GI tests lately, some have been invasive. I haven't been "normal" since the testing begun. I don't think it takes much to throws off the delicate balance in the tract. Look on the bright side, you could have the opposite problem which would be significantly more painful. If it continues though I would speak to your doctor. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. I hope you feel better!

Kudos for your progress with Methadone - that's huge!!!

Yeah - I used to have an unlimited supply of gabapentin & pregabalin, and used to use it in high dose for bupe & also pod wd. What I would say is that whilst you can push pregs really high, gabapentin has a ceiling above which there's no point taking more. For me it was 2400mg. I tried up to 4800mg in desparation, but it didn't feel any different from the 2400mg dose. May have lasted longer, but it was impossible to say what with the opiate wd symptoms to deal with too.

I don't know if you're into your psychedelics, but the very best drugs I ever found for opiate wd are DMT and LSD. DMT for a blissful 15 minute break from it all (including physical pain). LSD has the same effect, whilst peaking I forget all about my withdrawal troubles. I remember laughing at my pillow for about 4 hours because it was so good not to be in pain for the first time in 48 hours.

All I can say is holly fuck I wish I was you, I have no access to anything short of DXM powder and iboga alkaloid extract and I need to chill on that stuff. I'd pretty much kill for some good mushrooms, DMT, MDMA or LSD right now. C'est la vie. . .

w0w0mg, I'm about to take another 1.5g as I just had about an hour ago, after I eat five freshly picked tasty coyote peppers washed down with a little yogurt or cheesy to easy the burn and drink some more seltzer. We shall see. How much do you weigh btw? I weigh 200lbs, for comparison. I will update on how it works in an hour or three.

Moreaux, thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it. And I recognize you are absolutely right. A LOT of shit has been going on with my body. I hadn't used iboga or DXM in a long time and low doses of that pretty much eliminated all the acute withdrawal when I jumped off at 10mg of methadone. But after taking that shit for a month and a half, even at very moderate doses, I began to notice it really started fucking with my intellect, specifically my ability to verbally communicate (albeit in very small ways, but it was really a shock when I noticed it). And as much as I'd like to, I can't afford to become a full time shaman at this time ;)

I just happened to stop taking the iboga and DXM a few days before I had to go to surgery (again, very last minute). A week after that and things have started to really act up. I still notice improvements daily though, so it's not like I'm struggling too much. I can really relate to folks detoxing from long term benzo use now though. My sleep is sooooooo fucked, and I LOVE to sleep :(

FUUUUUUUCK me that was kinda painful. I forgot how spicy eating those fresh off the pain, one after the other can be. I hope I don't regret this (I don't think will though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ate 4mg loperamide following "stool" #14 since 3:45am when I got up (or should I say out of bed) and another 900mg of gabapentin (after having a bit of cheese and cracker).

I. Think. I'm. Beginning. To. Feel. Better.

[knock on wood]

w0w0mg, I'm about to take another 1.5g as I just had about an hour ago, after I eat five freshly picked tasty coyote peppers washed down with a little yogurt or cheesy to easy the burn and drink some more seltzer. We shall see. How much do you weigh btw? I weigh 200lbs, for comparison. I will update on how it works in an hour or three.

I am a whopping 140 pounds my friend, lol.
That's good, report back and see how you are.
Gabapentin gives me the runs pretty bad.

Also, have you tried taking a bigger dose of lope?
I know it's frowned up in some sense, but it does work.
Just take 20 mg tops. That mixed with gabapentin should help a lot!

Oh yeah, I've taken upwards of 160mg of it before. I don't want my body, GI system included, to get too used to any more opioid stimulation though. I am, after all, trying to reach my natural non-opioid equilibrium. Plus keep in mind I'm not exactly in acute withdrawal anymore, it would seem I'm more between that stage and the next.

Overall now I'm feeling much better. Not 100% by any means, but slightly more comfortable in my stomach without a doubt. So much of this stuff is in my head though, so I have to be very careful not to over medicate or get myself worked up over something that doesn't need to be.

I may try the vitamin C thing once my gabapentin and pregabalin run out, we shall see. Does the megadose you take mess with your gut at all?

Reports have said that it does mess up your stomach a little. I do not know this from experience.

Yeah, it does give you the squits unfortunately. But it's worth that because it'll take away almost all the other symptoms after half a day if megadosing.

The normal cheap vitamin C you get in the shops is ascorbic acid, and that stuff is really rough on the gut. Because it's very acidic, it irritates the small intestine.

What you want to do is buffer it with bicarbonate of soda. Here's how :

1. Put one teaspoon of ascorbic acid into a mug.

2. Add half a teaspoon of bicarb

3. Pour hot water in. It's fizz up and release a whole load of CO2.

4. What you've now got in your cup is ~4g of sodium ascorbate. Top up with cold water and drink.

Sodium ascorbate is much easier on the stomach. That being said, it will still upset it somewhat on the first day. My belly recovered after that period of adjustment though.

You want to take ~4g every 2 - 3 hours, let us know how it goes! If it's too hard on your belly, just down the serving to 2.5g and see how that goes. :)

Thank you, I may try that when I run out of comfort meds, but for now I was actually able to lay down and have a half nap. Had a meeting tonight, which I have no strict obligation to attend, given the quasi nap I took. The nature of one's quality of sleep off methadone is so, so very strange. Had the most interesting dreams though. Got to spend some times with an amazing girl, if only in my dreams ;)

Thank you, I may try that when I run out of comfort meds, but for now I was actually able to lay down and have a half nap. Had a meeting tonight, which I have no strict obligation to attend, given the quasi nap I took. The nature of one's quality of sleep off methadone is so, so very strange. Had the most interesting dreams though. Got to spend some times with an amazing girl, if only in my dreams ;)
:D awesome! Got to love those pipe dreams!:D

More crazy "interesting" dreams. Was actually able to stay in bed all night, so I'm really fucking happy about that. But I took a shit load of gabapentin yesterday. Something like 6900mg, though I want to say more. Again, not exactly a shit load by my previous standards, but still...

Today I'm going to shoot for 3000mg - 1500mg with a (really) hot pepper and some cheesy. Then another 900mg a bit later with a bit of cheese. Then 600mg later in the day if I need it (which knowing me I probably will). We shall see. I do feel a LOT better this morning than I did yesterday at this time.

I forgot how much loperamide can make a difference, even at just 4mg. Actually I've never experienced that. I guess way down the road with methadone withdrawal you wouldn't need nearly as much as really during the beginning or worst of acute withdrawal.

Dude you are doing awesome my man. I heard methadone is one of the worst withdrawals when it comes to opiates.

Have you tried vitamin b to give you some energy...also probiotic yogurt will calm your stomach as well as put the fire out from the peppers.

Yeah I find that yogurt is pretty much yogurt (albeit I'm not sure what yoplay or whatever that shit is). I haven't tried taking any vitamin B recently, though in the past I have. I'm really just trying to focus on eating more right now, well in more balanced ways at least.

Pepper, cheese and 1500mg down the hatch! Too made I don't have any seltzer today, I need to get some more.

The hardest part of the methadone process is that I have no experience with it. I mean opioids are opioids, but each has its own particular nuances. I'm finding this to be a lot like buprenorphine, perhaps a bit messier on the body, but for whatever reason easier on my mind. The psychological struggle with the unknown is the hardest part of this all sometimes.

I came off methadone 90 mg's cold turkey and it was a new world of hell.
After getting off of it though, it's worth the pain, trust me.
The gabapentin will help you loads.

How many days has it been?
Are you down to 0 mg? or tapering?

I tapered down from 90mg to 10mg, and at the very beginning of June and jumped off. So I've well survived the acute withdrawal by now, I feel as thought I'm pretty much out of the woods.

I used iboga and DXM to deal with the acute withdrawal, and it made it pretty easy physically, but it is really hard to function at my fullest on those drugs in terms of work and socializing.

Transitioning off them and getting my head really clear so that I feel whatever is left of the withdrawal, as I really didn't in its entirety for the first 1.5 months, proved very challenging. But obviously I'm doing it. My last dose of iboga and DXM was last week, and as of this week my head has really felt like it has cleared up.

It's difficult integrating how my body feels again, as I was so out of it and dissociated from the drugs I used to cope with most of the acute withdrawal, but it's been so very worth it.

Everything feels different from any other detox I've ever done. Not even so much because it is my first time dealing with methadone withdrawal (or a daily habit of over two years, as I never took opioids on a daily basis for more than a few months before - thought I definitely spent most of the last 10 years on rather than off opioids), but more because with this kick I am really putting into practice all the tools I've picked up in the vast number of times I've withdrawn before.

Becoming more self aware is helpful to no end.