View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Journal-keeping is truly psychedelic.

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
I've always had a keen interest in the subject of practical self-awareness. By "practical" self-awareness, I mean, any insight into the human mind which is widely applicable in daily life, by enabling one to consciously hone the essential instruments of intellect, creativity, attention-span, motivation, and so on. As a consequence, over the course of many years, and many hours spent reading books, and contemplating the subject in various settings and various states of mind, I've gradually built and refined my own interpretation of a practical model of the human mind. (Not to suggest that I'm anywhere close to being finished.)

The difficulty I kept running into was memory. The subtle aspects of the unconscious mind are apparently easy to forget, and as weeks, months, and years passed, the details of this conceptual model would begin to fade, and I kept having to revisit old ideas, like repeatedly patching up a building, crumbling away with years of weathering. I felt like, at a certain point, I was running around in circles. I was on the verge of some important breakthroughs, but I couldn't quite add the next level to my house of cards without the whole thing collapsing, and being forced to start over again.

Eventually I realized that, if I were really serious about this hobby of mine, I would have to keep notes of some kind. A little over a week ago, I was spurred to finally start making the effort to keep a journal of my thoughts on the subject, due to frustration that I wasn't reaching my potential peak performance in challenges that rewarded intense focus. And, well... I'm genuinely shocked by how fascinating this exercise is proving to be.

This ain't just for eighth graders writing about their secret crushes. This fits what I consider to be the most crucial, defining characteristic of anything "psychedelic": the quality of reflecting your mind back into itself. To be exact, both psychedelic trips and journal-keeping are so illuminating because they both provide a feedback loop, wherein your thoughts are output through a channel that is input to your conscious mind again.

Psychedelics probably do it by temporarily "rewiring" the CNS, and rerouting action potentials. Or, to put it more accessibly, psychedelics illustrate your mind to your senses, which sometimes results in what is known as synaesthesia. Writing your stream of consciousness into a journal does it externally, rather than internally: your thoughts are translated into language, and then those words are decoded back into concepts when you read them back. It's interesting to consider that the part of your brain necessary for forming language is somewhat separate from the part necessary for comprehending it -- I'm told that there are people who have brain injuries that affect one, but not the other. So, when you read back something you wrote, the ideas are going through a different channel in your mind, which might give you the opportunity to consider the ideas from a new perspective altogether.

However, this is all speculation. What I know for certain is, in the short handful of days since I started keeping a journal of my ideas (during which time I've been sober, save for the usual green tea, pot, and moderate drinking), I've had new insights into the subject of practical self-awareness which have shaken, amazed, and delighted me to my very core. I really never imagined I'd be saying this, but the journal-keeping experience has satisfied my thirst for altered states of consciousness in a way that I've never done without ingesting a chemical. I'm also daring enough to claim that I've actually begun to see a benefit from the practical application of these insights to other areas of my life, but more time is necessary to ascertain the exact extent of these benefits. (And aside from all this, I'm simply looking forward to having a detailed record of my past, which I can reference for nostalgia's sake if nothing else!)

Before you start keeping a journal, and hold my feet to the fire for over-hyping the experience, there are a couple factors which have probably maximized the effect of journal-keeping for me:

1) I began writing during a period of intense interest in subject of mind-hacking, or practical self-awareness, or satori, or whatever term you want to use. As a result,
2) I've spent a lot of time absorbed in contemplation of the subject,
3) I've put a lot of effort into making very thorough journal entries detailing my thoughts, and
4) My train of thought is currently being stoked by Suzuki's writings on Zen, which I'm reading nightly.

Have any of you tried keeping a journal, whether of life events, thoughts, ideas, dreams, or otherwise? What was the result? If this happens to resonate with any of you, and inspires you to keep a journal, tell me how it goes!

Last edited:
I do. I always try to write down insights, ideas and thoughts, hoping that I can use them as tools in future psychological/philosophical puzzles and stuff. I have felt this things of running in circles too, like you can't seem to build your next insights on top of the ones you had already, because you forgot the old ones, right? Complicated stuff.

IME the best thing would be to talk with someone else about it. For instance, very often, I write and try really hard to express the thought/insight/idea, to word it very carefully, to make it as clear as possible, to capture its essence with the words, only to, say, a few months later, reread it and get disappointed - it's just an empty wall of text. These insights are so damn fleeting. On the other hand, I find that the act of talking about it is much much better, it makes it stick I guess. Just like say, when you're writing, putting it into words can help you reformulate and make clear what's in your head, for yourself, this happens even more intensely when you (I, at least) talk about it. It's even better because not only that, but also, talking is interactive, whereas writing is lonely. Sometimes then, when writing I feel that I reach a point of saturation or something, at which I am merely making reduntang permutations on everything that I already have, and nothing comes out - an input from the outside is warranted.

Though it's very hard to find people worth talking these things to...

Idk, just some thoughts on the matter.

I do. I always try to write down insights, ideas and thoughts, hoping that I can use them as tools in future psychological/philosophical puzzles and stuff. I have felt this things of running in circles too, like you can't seem to build your next insights on top of the ones you had already, because you forgot the old ones, right?

Yeah, that's what I was getting at -- well put.

Though it's very hard to find people worth talking these things to...

That's definitely a problem. It's hard to find people thinking on the same wavelength. Journal writing is perhaps most useful in exploring these particularly esoteric ideas. When I was into programming, it helped me to keep a journal of my thoughts about the code I was writing, if things got particularly complex and tricky.

I can see how friendship is yet another way of getting feedback on your thoughts, except this time going even one step further -- you're getting the ideas after they've run through someone else's brain, and not just your own! I guess friendship is the most powerful psychedelic drug after all!

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, neurotic.

Interesting thread TAC. :) Part of the reason I write trip reports is so I can record for myself what I felt and experienced during a trip, so that I might relive it partially at a later date. But what you say is true... translating it to language alters the relived experience somewhat. Actually writing trip reports is a big part of integrating important experiences for me, for this reason. The process of writing itself helps to solidify the experience in my mind, and then reading it back later offers new insights.

Similar to what Xorkoth says, I try and write down my doses and notes when I trip. Reading them again sometimes I think "Wow, I completely forgot about that". All it takes to bring it back is a doseage and a few short notes.

As far as the daily life journal. It is probably pretty important for becoming self realized, so keep it up!

Similar to what Xorkoth says, I try and write down my doses and notes when I trip. Reading them again sometimes I think "Wow, I completely forgot about that". All it takes to bring it back is a doseage and a few short notes.

As far as the daily life journal. It is probably pretty important for becoming self realized, so keep it up!

that is exactly what I do. I usually will write it down in my notes on my iPhone. Since when I trip I seem to be a little disorganized and can't find the notebook I attempted to write it. Or the handwriting is so bad it's unreadable.

Lately I have been using my iPhone voice memos on my iPhone to record the experience I am having, since somethings writing (especially tying) is difficult for me when i am tripping.

When i listen to them later, I am always surprised about the trip I had. Especially on 4-aco-dmt. Because it seems every trip is so different. Yes, there is the same geometrical landscapes, and fractals and visuals (usually) but the my mind state seems to be different almost everytime, and not necessarily a bad mind state. Just different.
That is what I like about 4-Aco-Dmt. Every trip always seems to surprise me.

I keep a trip journal which I write into as I trip. My trips are for the sake of philosophy and personal & spiritual development so I try to write down as much as I can. It usually only becomes possible after the peak because it's hard to think in terms of language during the peak.

After smoking a joint it propels the trip into hyperspace and it makes for extremely deep trains of thought. At this point it becomes very important for me to grab something I could never reach in sober life and put it on paper. Shortly after the peak of the cannabis I always reach a very focussed state where I gain complete control of my mind. I become aware that I am aware and the fabric of my thought processes rises up visually. In other words, I see each transmission of energy in my mind as it happens. At this point I can write for hours and I always find valuable insights.

It also becomes possible to visualise the structure of my mind externally. That is to say I use my arms and hands to move around my thoughts and to navigate ideas, akin to the way in which the digital screens operate in Minority Report. I like to call this my mind palace.

During the trips I don't try to write more than bullet points because of the speed of data exchange in my mind. Often when I try to hold onto some stands I find I am unable to keep it in place and the only natural thing to do is to release it. It always returns later.

After the trips I spend a few days absorbing the experience before coming back to the journal to write up a comprehensive summary. From there I spend months integrating the insights into my typical life.

Additionally, I keep a personal diary which doesn't mention psychedelics or spirituality, it's used mainly as a time capsule system for my life. It's very useful to vocalise my experiences and concerns and issues as I see writing as a way for me to have conversations with myself. This I find to be invaluable because nobody else knows me as well as I do. Can you imagine meeting yourself and exchanging ideas with your own mind?

Glad to see that some of you are also writing down your insights!

I've written many trip reports, but I've rarely tried to keep a "live" journal during a psychedelic trip itself. In my early days of psychonautics, I tried a few times, but found that language was very difficult and time-consuming, so I gave up on it. I haven't tripped since I started regular journal-keeping, but I'm sure the next time I trip, I'll attempt at least to make some cursory jots while I'm under the influence.

It's very useful to vocalise my experiences and concerns and issues as I see writing as a way for me to have conversations with myself. This I find to be invaluable because nobody else knows me as well as I do. Can you imagine meeting yourself and exchanging ideas with your own mind?

Yes, this is the feedback mechanism that I was using to compare psychedelic drugs with journal-keeping.

I always take basic notes when I intend to write a TR about a trip, during the trip. These things help jog my memory later, little hooks into the experience. Generally I write the bulk of it later. I have had some trips where my communication abilities were really good and I spent a lot of the trip writing, but generally this isn't the case.