• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

fasting suggestion danger

LemUUU

Greenlighter
I see many people suggesting fasting before taking mdma/e, but i never see people mention the danger of this practice. If someone who is hypoglycemic follows this advice they are in danger of passing out/seizing. I would like to make this known to save people like myself from having a potentially fatal drop in blood sugar just to have a slightly shorter come up.

no one suggests fasting. people recommend having an empty stomach (which is pretty normal at the times when you go partying anyway. after all who eats supper around 23:00?).
if dropping on an empty stomach were potentially fatal we'd see deaths, because nearly everyone is doing it. the fact that there's no media hysteria about masses of people dieing from hypoglycemia is a very strong indication that there's no need to worry.
also taking amphetamine type drugs leads to heightened levels of blood glucose, so mdma inherently counteracts hypoglycemia.

I have seen many people suggest not eating for 4-6 hours prior to dropping...

I personally have blacked out late in a roll because of low blood sugar, but i know my condition so i was easily able to remedy it. A friend of mine also nearly fainted right at peak because of low blood sugar. a couple peanut butter crackers and some fruit later they were feeling great again.

Hypoglycemia isnt that common, there wouldnt be masses of cases, and if mdma was presenf that would be blamed.

There is no need to.be a condescending prick about it, i was simply saying that people with hypoglycemia should eat something relatively close to their drop point because for us, rolling on an empty stomach is guaranteed to ruin our night.

also taking amphetamine type drugs leads to heightened levels of blood glucose, so mdma inherently counteracts hypoglycemia.

Drugs can only raise glucose if there is glucose in your body to release... if you use up your stores of glucose, say for example dancing for a couple hours, you could potentially black out, and if no one knows your condition they could lay you down to rest, and you could go into shock/a coma

the glycogen in your liver lasts for around 12h. so you shouldn't run out too fast.

not eating for 4 hours (which is what ensures your stomach being empty) is by no means fasting. if you had a good full meal at 20:00, you're probably just back to baseline with your glucose and insulin levels at 00:00, which means that you'll have full glycogen stores that'll last for 12h of normal activity. and using glucose isn't the only method of generating energy such as burning fat (which is also something that amphetamines activate) and you body is damn good at regulating the whole thing (as long as you don't have diabetes). you won't get a fatal hyperglycemia through mdma any more than you'd get one by dancing sober. which is not at all if you don't do it excessively (and then hyperthermia is going to be much more harmful).
feeling a bit lightheaded because you didn't eat for a long time isn't something too out of the ordinary and does not mean that you're in risk of fatal hyperglycemia. the (by far!) most common cause for life-threatening hyperglycemia is injecting too much insulin.

if you didn't use the word fatal in the original post, i wouldn't have descended into condescending prick mode. sorry if i was a bit excessive, but we get enough exaggerated descriptions of possible dangers here in this forum.

I don't mean to sound dismissive as you do raise a good point, but I'd like to think that if someone is hypoglycemic they'd be fully aware of it by the time they're old enough to be dabbling in illicit psychoactive substances.

I personally won't so much advise someone to fast in the same fashion I choose to, but will suggest abstaining from eating anything for a few hours prior to taking their MDMA.

PERSONALLY as someone not dealing with any medical conditions regarding blood glucose levels, I choose to fast the entire day I plan to roll. I'd like to think nobody would blindly follow that kind of practice without at least some thought, particularly if they know they're hypoglycemic or feel excessively exhausted part way through fasting.

For the sake of full info: my practice is consuming absolute minimal caloric intake from when I go to bed the night prior to rolling (pretty much only BCAAs, so maybe 50cal for the day?) until the morning after rolling, totally "36 hours" or so fasted. The day I planned to roll, I used to commit to a decent pushbike ride into the city and back which was about 700-800cal.

Last edited:
Yeah not eating for 4 hours isn't fasting, it's just having an empty stomach. Nobody suggests true fasting before MDMA (I hope). If you eat your last main meal at around 6pm then by 10pm you're good to go anyway, no extra food-avoidance required to your normal routine.

Fasting before stimulants is very unwise and can lead to a more prominent side effect profile. I recommend eating a good amount of food the day of your roll, but leave 4 hours after eating before you dose. Does it really sound healthy to exhaust your body with drugs and dancing after starving yourself all day?

Fasting before stimulants is very unwise and can lead to a more prominent side effect profile. I recommend eating a good amount of food the day of your roll, but leave 4 hours after eating before you dose. Does it really sound healthy to exhaust your body with drugs and dancing after starving yourself all day?
This is exactly what I do every time, never fails me. Eat a meal with as much different kinds of nutrients packed in it as you can a good few hours beforehand. Make sure your stomach is at least half empty, preferably almost empty by the time you drop. Energy for the entire night but no delayed comeup or lessened effects because of a full stomach. If you're lucky to be at an event that sells fruit, which more and more events are doing where I live, eat some pieces throughout the night. Goes along remarkably well with a roll as long as it's juicy fruit (or straight up juice is good too). If not, drink water but alternate with a sports drink from time to time