• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Recovery from various research chemicals, need help desperately

dicksoutforharambe

Greenlighter
I will try to keep this as condensed as possible, also if this is the wrong place to be posting this, I apologize in advance. This is in regard to a loved one.

Soooo onto the issues at hand... She has been abusing drugs for the last several years, the last few of which involved heavy amounts of research chemicals. An estimated 15 different substances encompassing psychedelics, dissociatives, and opiates. She liked to do a different class of drugs per day to "avoid addiction and keep it safe". MAN WAS THAT WRONG. Her brain feels severely fucked up as she was tripping 2-3 times a week on different substances. She hallucinates constantly (colors mostly with "snow" in vision), has this feeling that nothing is real, hears voices, and have been launched into a deep deep depression. She constantly worries about going insane and obsesses over the possible damage done to her body.

She worries that the damage done to her body is irreversible and also truly believes she is now schizophrenic from her drug use (a diagnosis reached by herself, not her psychiatrist). She takes several medications to remain stable including atypical antipsychotics, prescribed after the drug abuse. As there is very little research done on "research" chemicals (quite the misnomer), it is difficult to tell if this is all in her head or if these drugs have indeed damaged her.

Has anyone here recovered from a research chemical addiction similar to what is described? I am aware it is very uncommon and haven't met anyone else that struggled with this. I am interested in knowing what helped with the symptoms and how long it took to fully recover, if ever. The only other person she knows who did these same chemicals is no longer with us, not leaving for a very positive outlook on life after drugs. Any input, tips, advice is welcome and greatly appreciated, it just may save her life. It is also worth noting these symptoms persist after several months of complete abstinence and no one experience seemed to cause it.

Thank you in advance, any response is welcome and every bit helps!

It would be helpful if you could post up exactly what chemicals she's taking, for how long and at what dose. Her recovery will vary wildly according to what these might be.

In my drugs hey day I was doing the same kind of thing. These days I'm much more sensible and I'm pretty much back to my old self. Regarding the 'colourful snow', I got this after heavy psychedelic use and it never, ever went away. I can see it now as I type this. The trick is not to worry about it, my way of dealing with it is to assume it was always there, psychedelics just made me conscious of it.

How many years roughly did it take to get back to your old self and did you take any medications? Thanks for the response, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Ok.. Here goes. I'm not going to give dosages but they were all very very high.

Hallucinogens (ie lsd / shrooms / mescaline) - I took these for about 5 years in earnest. I mostly stopped after I got a fairly bad case of hppd (hallucinatory persistent perception disorder). This meant that I was visually tripping for approx a year after I stopped. Another year after that before I was 'normal'. I still trip occasionally now, every few months. Doing things that way, no hppd issues.

Opiates (oxy, subutex, pods, occasional heroin) - my biggest crutch. I've just cleaned myself for the umpteenth time, I feel pretty much myself after 3 weeks. That's rare though, usually I'll be in physical and mental pain for at least 6 months after stopping opiates.

Research chemicals (dissociatives) - I took these for 6 months, no ill effects.

Empathogens (MDMA / 5-APB / 6-APB / other RCs) - I've taken these on and off for about 20 years, although nothing at all for the last 5. No real ill effects other than the usual. A bit of social paranoia after periods of heavy use. Note that it is the empathogens that I blame for the multicoloured snow I see that has never, ever disappeared. Entirely robbed me of my ability to see black, but it could be far worse.

benzos - now we're getting to the really scary stuff. If the lady involved is addicted to these, DO NOT JUST STOP. I had a heavy addiction to RC benzos (phenazepam, etizolam and pyrazolam mostly), and prescription benzos like xanax and valium. I could eat doses that would put an elephant to sleep. I could easily chew through 50mg etizolam or pyrazolam in a day. There are a few periods totally some 9 months where I have not one memory of whatever I might have done. It took about 2 years of pure hell just to get off them. After that, another 2 years to feel remotely normal, with daily anxiety / panic attacks. And another 4 years to feel my old self after that.

Like I said though, without knowing what she's taking, how often and at what dose, it's impossible to say what we're dealing with.

Last edited:
We need to know what they've been taking, dose, and for how long. It would be helpful to know if they're also on any other medications. Yes, it is possible to recover from heavy drug use but every drugs has a unique impact of the body so we needs specifics :)

Also, what are they currently taking?

High repeated doses for all --
5-meo-pcp, 4-aco-dmt, 4-ho-met, 5-meo-dmt, 3-fpm, mxe, 2-fa, u47700, lsd, cocaine, And of course pot. This is an incomplete list, but it's the best I can do, it's quite extensive.

As I said she has been clean quite sometime but still experiences the symptoms mentioned above, will these dissipate over time? It's not bad enough for a visit to the psych ward... yet.

It's difficult to say, that's an impressive list. I would say the lasting trippy stuff will fade with time. As I said initially, I think staying calm about it all is of utmost importance.

I read through your initial post again, and some of this seems a bit like psychosis to me. I'm not saying that's what it is, I'm no psychiatrist. But I feel a visit to one, if only to put your minds at rest, might be prudent.

It's difficult to say, that's an impressive list. I would say the lasting trippy stuff will fade with time. As I said initially, I think staying calm about it all is of utmost importance.

I read through your initial post again, and some of this seems a bit like psychosis to me. I'm not saying that's what it is, I'm no psychiatrist. But I feel a visit to one, if only to put your minds at rest, might be prudent.
Sorry, forgot to say - is she completely clean? I'll bet my bottom dollar she's still smoking pot. If so, cut that out and she'll likely see improvement quite quick..

Agree with ^. She needs to stop ALL drugs/medications [b[except[/b] the ones that she is prescribed, and she needs to take the prescribed medication as directed. If she does smoke weed this can be causing the symptoms to persist.

It does sound like psychosis but I am not a doctor and am only making a guess based on the info provided. You say she is clean - how long has she been clean? Also, how old is she?

The effects from research chemicals can be more devestating and longer lasting than the effects from regular drugs. I once used MDPV for a portion of an evening, I used a little less than 250mg and ended up being in psychosis for a week. That was the only drug I had used as I was in early recovery. I have read reports from other Bluelight users where they have used a variety of research chemicals for extended periods of time and it's taken up to 6 months to really recover, some users take longer.

Has she seen a doctor as medication may help to tone down her symptoms.

This is my neck of the woods.

I use to have a steady addiction to:
- 3-meo-pcp
- deschloroketamine
- u-47700
- bk-mbdb
- 2-oxo-pce
- 6-apb
Any many more I can't think of at the moment.

It sound's to me she is having small episodes of psychosis, and HPPD.
(I'm no doctor, do not quote me.)

From personal experiences, these can last a few days to several months before the person is completely back to normal.
I have had increased anxiety, depression, paranoia, and insomnia from long binges of these chemicals.
They have gotten better, and asking a doctor for short-term medication will help too.

These are Research Chemicals, and not meant for human consumption.
We have no clue what the long-term effects it will cause.
Have her stay away from these chemicals for a while.

Thank you again for the replies. She has been clean for about half a year excluding sporadic marijuana use. She is seeing a doctor which leads me to believe she is not psychotic as they likely would have told her so had that been the case. She is on medication and it helps her somewhat but not 100%

W0w0mg, how long did it take you to recover? And what prescribed medications helped you the most?

i seriously hope she's okay yo. i don't have the balls to fuck around with research chemicals because I don't know what the hell they do. I only fuck with stuff I know. It might be irreversible or it might not be, but it already happened so don't dwell on the past too much

Oh man... That's quite the list :X I kind of know how you feel, though. I used to do mammoth doses of 25-i multiple times a week. Totally fried my short term memory, and ability to function in social situations.

I don't have the snow effect you described, but if I look at patterns, such as a carpet or phone case, it immediately starts moving around. It's pretty annoying but considering that my short term memory has semi-restored, I think I got off lucky.

For reference, I stopped my 25-I binges a year and a half ago. It took about a year before I started feeling semi-normal.

Just follow the advice of your doctor and the lovely people in this thread, who want you to follow what your doctor says. :)

Thank you again for the replies. She has been clean for about half a year excluding sporadic marijuana use. She is seeing a doctor which leads me to believe she is not psychotic as they likely would have told her so had that been the case. She is on medication and it helps her somewhat but not 100%

W0w0mg, how long did it take you to recover? And what prescribed medications helped you the most?

I use to be on Celexa, Thorzine, and Gabapentin. I now just take gabapentin. Those combos helped me alot until I was normal again. It took me about 4 months to completely recover.

Thanks, that sounds nearly identical to her med combo. Did you experience bouts of deep depression and pressure on the head that last for a few hours? She literally screams from how unbearable it becomes when it peaks

Thanks, that sounds nearly identical to her med combo. Did you experience bouts of deep depression and pressure on the head that last for a few hours? She literally screams from how unbearable it becomes when it peaks
The depression yes but not the head pressure. It passes over time just take it day by day and it will get better. I would get the head pressure checked out.

I would get the head pressure checked out too but Gabapentin does that to me if I take an anti-psychotic at the same time. Gabapentin is the last one I'm on, I had recovered from alcoholism and in turn research chemicals for about 6 months. I dove back in, as they weren't the issue with me. (I mean, they probably are in part but eh...)

Hope your friend feels better. The pcp analogs can leave me in a manic state for a couple months.

You definitely are suffering from some HPPD. This is recoverable but it can take a long time. You may also have some latent mental illnesses that were uncovered with your drug use or perhaps you may be going through some temporary psychosis as well. Self diagnosis is not good although I can understand how easy it is to do so, we want answers as a way to regain some control.

Just be patient and you will learn how badly you are affected from this. If it's a temporary episode or something long term.

I am currently going through psychosis and waiting for ct scan results for possible schizophrenia. I have a bunch of people being dramatic and sensationalist about the fact that I have used research chemicals in the past. What they don't know is which ones I have used, how extensively or anything really. I haven't really touched them in 2 or 3 years, mostly have used opioids over the past couple years. I have stayed away from psychosis inducing drugs for years due to self awareness and really disliking how badly they affect my mind. Every time I have tried to get sober the past few years I have experienced psychosis in varying degrees. I barely touched mxe 10 months ago and flushed most of it because I was honest with myself about my intentions and the possible outcome of binging on 2.5 grams when trying to get sober. People have latched onto this as a way of dismissing and discrediting what I'm going through and being generally shitty.

Self awareness and patience are key to gaining some traction and recovering. You can essentially slowly rationalize and compartmentalize elements of your psychosis and get on top of it. Recovery is possible and it may be scary now but it will get better. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find resolve with this because I know how difficult it can be to cope.

I am currently on Abilify and it is the best atypical anti-psychotic as far as side effects for me currently. Olanzapine was causing worrying physical side effects for me and not worth taking. It's like night and day for me on abilify. The voices are muted and I don't feel exposed and like I am being watched all the time. I don't feel like there are cameras in my room and in bathrooms anymore. If I could somehow get people to understand what I go through they would be able to empathize with why I was acting out and the way they dismissed me and lied to me and treated me made it worse. If people could try to understand and empathize without dismissing everything it would really go a long way to helping me rather than hindering me.

Only time I ever really experienced this was binging on MDPV back in 2012. My god what a horrible summer. Very thoughtful post

Yes there is unknowns with "research chemicals" but many of them function quite similarly to the classics and problems associated with them may be the same. We can't just assume that they will have all these insane damages completely unseen by humanity. Just as thr unknown factor presents unknowns as to possible new side effects, some can have less toxicity issues compared to their counter parts and some can provide the same syndromes.

Anyways, time. Time and being healthy, working with a therapist and having good and empathetic and positive support systems are essential to help guide your friend to recovery. In my life I have exactly the opposite of this and it's making it so difficult to cope. They even took to posting messages on here instead of talking directly to me. Only one of which I directly confirmed but going through psychosis and having that, it makes me suspect of everything I read on here and makes my problems worse. Being open and honest and supportive if they are having delusions and paranoia, show them what is real and what isn't and help them ground themselves in reality. If people don't have that, it's easy for them to work their psychosis into something substantially more confusing and detached from reality.