Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

CBD - First Time - Cannabidiol (CBD) psychoactivity

spephspeph

Bluelighter
I ordered a CBD vape device and received it today (I live in the UK).

I more often than not see this being "non-psychoactive".

I've trying it a few times today, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that CBD is psychoactive, but not in the same way that cannabis on its own is.

I could feel a weirdness in my body, a warm, slightly tingly feeling, as well as a feeling I can only describe as reverberation through my body which lasted about 20 minutes after 3/4 puffs from the vape.

I felt intensely relaxed, calm, maybe a bit doped for these 20 minutes, and after this wore off I felt more awake (but not 'high' or 'stimulated')

It might be that my definition of "Psychoactive" is somewhat different to the real meaning, but after trying this I can say that this 100% does something in your brain which makes you feel and experience something happening.

;)

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_cbd
substancecode_cannabinoids
explevel_firsttime
exptype_neutral
roacode_vaporized
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar experience drinking tea made from raw cannabis. It's definitely there.

Psychoactive is a relative term. Many things have these subtle effects on the mind. One could drink a cup of coffee and feel more awake, but is coffee psychoactive? Not so much. Is it more psychoactive than something along those lines? Probably in the same way that non-alcoholic beer could hypothetically get you buzzed. Theoretically, if you drank a 24 pack of non-alcoholic beer in a few hours, you would most likely still get a bit of a buzz....... because it would be impossible to get rid of all the alcohol. In the same sense, non-THC cannabis most likely still has traces of THC in it. You are probably simply feeling effects of the residual THC and/or other psychoactive components left in the supplement you are using, just like you might catch a buzz from drinking a gallon or two of non-alcoholic beer. I'm sure if one takes enough of these supplements, they could feel something, but I would guess it would still be very minor....... similar to the way 8 non alcoholic beers is equivalent to a beer, you may "feel something" if you drank a huge amount of it, but you would never actually get drunk off non-alcoholic beer.

I use CBD vape liquid on a regular basis since it helps lessen some of my fibromyalgia symptoms. I have noticed that it does have a low key calming effect. It tends to give a chill, even sensation without altering your ability to function and think clearly. I actually find it quite nice and it does help me relax a bit if I'm stressed, which means I can think a bit clearer without the stress pressing down on me with full force. I actually found that if I use a stronger mix right before bed (2/3 cbd and 1/3 my nicotine liquid when I normally mix it as half and half for daytime vaping) I actually get to sleep easier and am less likely to have night terrors.

Wonderful little liquid that is, very helpful I've found.

Psychoactive is a relative term. Many things have these subtle effects on the mind. One could drink a cup of coffee and feel more awake, but is coffee psychoactive? Not so much. Is it more psychoactive than something along those lines? Probably in the same way that non-alcoholic beer could hypothetically get you buzzed. Theoretically, if you drank a 24 pack of non-alcoholic beer in a few hours, you would most likely still get a bit of a buzz....... because it would be impossible to get rid of all the alcohol. In the same sense, non-THC cannabis most likely still has traces of THC in it. You are probably simply feeling effects of the residual THC and/or other psychoactive components left in the supplement you are using, just like you might catch a buzz from drinking a gallon or two of non-alcoholic beer. I'm sure if one takes enough of these supplements, they could feel something, but I would guess it would still be very minor....... similar to the way 8 non alcoholic beers is equivalent to a beer, you may "feel something" if you drank a huge amount of it, but you would never actually get drunk off non-alcoholic beer.

Actually caffeine is most definitely psychoactive, it certainly has an effect on your mind.

Why is it hard to imagine that CBD would have some effects on the mind? It almost certainly does, though nothing like THC.

its also really hard to get pure CBD, so you might have had small bit of THC in there

Like LandsUnknown is saying, the psychoactiveness is relative- great way to describe it btw. CBDs affect is also subjective I feel in terms of how much someone needs to feel any impact, as well as how it effects them. I've done some research on the topic and have a MPH background.

Combats degenerative disease process: Prevents the neurodegenerative process occurring in Alzheimers Disease – 1

Anti-inflammatory: Cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychotropic cannabinoid constituent of Cannabis sativa, has potent anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive properties”. Cannabidiol provides long-lasting protection against the deleterious effects of inflammation in a viral model of multiple sclerosis: A role for A2A receptors -2

Safe for daily life: Also, chronic use and high doses up to 1,500 mg/day of CBD are reportedly well tolerated in humans. Based on recent advances in cannabinoid administration in humans, controlled CBD may be safe in humans and animals. Does not interfere with several psychomotor and psychological functions. 3

Antioxidant: The neuroprotective potential of CBD, based on the combination of its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties, is of particular interest and is presently under intense preclinical research in numerous neurodegenerative disorders. In fact, CBD combined with Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol is already under clinical evaluation in patients with Huntington's disease to determine its potential as a disease-modifying therapy. -4

Reduces Anxiety: Studies using animal models of anxiety and involving healthy volunteers clearly suggest an anxiolytic-like effect of CBD. Moreover, CBD was shown to reduce anxiety in patients with social anxiety disorder.- 5

Anti-nausea: The primary non-psychoactive compound in cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD), also suppresses nausea and vomiting within a limited dose range. Preclinical research indicates that cannabinioids, including CBD, may be effective clinically for treating both nausea and vomiting produced by chemotherapy or other therapeutic treatments. -6

Natural Pain relief: Cannabidiol (CBD) is another major constituent of the Cannabis sativa plant, having the same therapeutic effects than THC (analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and others), but with a different pharmacologic profile. Interestingly, some of these cannabidiol derivatives did not have central nervous system effects, but maintained their antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory properties. - 7

Side-effect free usage: Cannabinoids that lack psychoactivity or psychotoxicity are particularly useful embodiments of the present invention, because the absence of such side effects allows very high doses of the drug to be used without encountering unpleasant side effects (such as dysphoria) or dangerous complications (such as obtundation in a patient who may already have an altered mental status) - 8

References
1. 2005- Neurodegeneration Group, Cajal Insittute, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain: Neuroprotective in AD. Intracerebroventricular administration of the synthetic cannaboid WIN55,212-2 to rats prevented beta-amyloid peptide-induced microglial activiation, cognitive impairment, and loss of neuronal markers.
2. Neurobiology of Disease, Volume 59, Issue null, Pages 141-150 M. Mecha, A. Feliú, P.M. Iñigo, L. Mestre, F.J. Carrillo-Salinas, C. Guaza

3. Current Drug Safety, Volume 11, Issue 3, 2016. Dr S, Dodd. M.M Bergamaschi, R.H Costa Queiroz, A.W Zuardi, JA S. Crippa

4. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Feb;75(2):323-33. Cannabidiol for neurodegenerative disorders: important new clinical applications for this phytocannabinoid? Fernández-Ruiz J1, Sagredo O, Pazos MR, García C, Pertwee R, Mechoulam R, Martínez-Orgado J.

5. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria. Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an anxiolytic drug. vol.34 supl.1 São Paulo June 2012. A.R de Mello Schier, N.P de Oliveira RibeiroI; A SilvaI,II,IV; J.E Cecílio Hallak, J.A S. Crippa, A.E. Nardi, A.W Zuardi

6. Br J Pharmacol. 2011 Aug;163(7):1411-22. Regulation of nausea and vomiting by cannabinoids. Parker LA1, Rock EM, Limebeer CL.

7. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2006 Jul; 4(3): 239–257. Role of the Cannabinoid System in Pain Control and Therapeutic Implications for the Management of Acute and Chronic Pain Episodes. J Manzanares, MD Julian, A Carrascosa

8. Cannabinoids as antioxidant and neuroprotectants. US 6630507 B1: http://www.google.com/patents/US6630507