• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Tips for growing a beard out?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
I'm in the process of trying to grow my beard out. It's going pretty good besides the fact I have a spot on the right where the hair sort of indents in. I'm hoping that goes away once I get it longer. Right now my beard is about 2 inches long. So far I'm not doing anything special to take care of it besides combing it. Anyways, anyone have any tips for growing a full healthy looking beard out? Something else I'm wondering is if I should have it trimmed once I get it a bit longer so it grows out evenly.

This is about what I'm going for for now...

Kirk+Windstein.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wash your face really well. Rub your finger tips really hard into your beard when you're in the shower with soap or selsun. I prefer clean shaven now but washing well helps the dermatitis I get with more than a weeks growth, especially in the warmer months

Thanks for the advice. Do you think a conditioner would be beneficial at all? My facial hair is fairly course.

I use to use my ex's expensive conditioner would I would get a chance, it is awesome and I'm told beneficial. Because of how healthy and soft it left my beard feeling I would condition it at least a few times a week. I never got mine trimmed up or anything but I would have to brush it.

Other advise, it helps to be a male oh and not shaving is key ;)

Is brushing better than combing? Sometimes my comb gets kind of snagged up and I don't want to be pulling hairs out if I can help it.

[video=youtube_share;OuiSdTPdqbs]http://youtu.be/OuiSdTPdqbs[/video]

Is brushing better than combing? Sometimes my comb gets kind of snagged up and I don't want to be pulling hairs out if I can help it.

Brushing is good for your beard but don't brush it more than once a day. it can damage the hairs.

Beard Oil is also really good

Thanks for the tips. I'm already kind of bad about combing it too often so I guess I should switch to a brush and try to cut down how much I mess with it. I'm probably going to go to a barber soon because I'm starting to get a good length, but I think it needs to be evened out a bit and I would like it shorter at the top because as it is I got hairs going into the bottom of my ears which is kind of annoying.

you can use coconut oil as a cheaper alternative to expensive beard oils on the market

once its longer it helps reduce itchyness and also just keeps it healthy, you only need a few drops give or take depending on beard length, especially after washing beard with shampoo/conditioner

comb through once a day, after rubbing in beard oil with your hands, don't trim it, be very subtle with anything you do to the beard, less is more imo.

and biggest part is to get through the shitty beard stage which can last for a while and then to get through to loving your beard phase.

i still get lost in terms of mental frustration with the mo getting longer, i don't want to trim it, but it does take its toll in terms of trying to eat etc.

beard oil is nice for maintenance.

a good shave is nice every once in a while to keep your skin healthy.

It's coming along pretty good right now. I haven't done anything special besides shampoo it. The right side where it kind of indents in is finally starting to fill out. I think for now I'm just gonna leave it alone. In another 3 or 4 months I think it should be about the length I want, then after that I can start worrying about having it trimmed at the barber. I sure as hell am not gonna try that myself lol. I probably should at least invest in a beard brush tho because even tho I'm using the wide tooth part of my comb now it does still get snagged from time to time.

I've been bearded for a few years, chest length beard too.. Comb it just to get the knots out, but use a beard brush to get it looking good.And brush it when you feel like it man, obviously 100 times a day is stupid, but a couple time a day is harmless. Don't wash it with shampoo unless it's a must , like beer all in her. Shampoo is designed for your scalp, which has way more hair follicles than your beard, it'll strip the oils from the hair and dry it out. And conditioner pretty much coats the hair with silicone, and beard needs to breath, use a shampoo or softener that is designed just for a beard, you can buy them anywhere now, don't wash it every day unless it's nasty either. I know it's hard but keep your hands out of it. Trim it once in a while, you can do it without removing hardly any length, just for the dead end or it will start looking raspy at the end. Beard oil once a day is a commandment to me, but I prefer my beard to be healthy and to look decent, without oil it won't thrive like it deserves too. Beard balm just keeps it neat, but it's not a must have. And the best advice I can give you my man, somedays your beard will be perfect, and some days it's gonna look like shit, nothing you can really do but embrace the fact that your a bearded man. If you can put it through the "Yeard" the first full year letting it grow all the way out, you'll see the world a little different.... Happy growing my friend, cuz it's a good life when your beard swings low

@^ great inspirational post, im 2 months in again and was having some doubts, i love beard life tho.

Wait.

Seriously, there aren't "life hacks" for everything. Some things just happen or don't.

Mine's about where I want it but I'm gonna give it a bit more time so I can have it shaped up at the barber and it won't be too short.

Mine's about where I want it but I'm gonna give it a bit more time so I can have it shaped up at the barber and it won't be too short.

If your almost there shape it yourself, you get a better feel for how it is supposed to look, not how someone perceives it.. It's way easier than it seems too dude, like, fuck paying a barber it's so easy.. I go once every other month for a haircut, but he can't touch nothing from the top of the sideburns down, that's for me:) don't sell yourself short, do it yourseld

Maybe down the road but not right now. I know what would happen lol. I have no problem shaving my head but there's no way I'm gonna attempt to taper my beard when I haven't even seen how someone else does it.