• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Something needs to be done about mental illness

deadendgame

Bluelighter
I will admit that I am seriously fucked up in the head. I accept that. But there is nothing that I can do except keep trucking along. I called the suicide hotline many times. Do you know what they do? Nothing. What is worse is that they call 911, which brings me to that, the psych ward. Once you are admitted, they will start billing your insurance company immediately or if you don't have one, they will bill you until you get discharged. Once you are in there, the nurses and psychiatrists have absolute power over you. They won't discharge you until you are perceived to be mentally stable. I mean it's cool and chillax in there, but by the time you come out, that's when the problems hit you, like the bills, catching up on the time you lose, etc. And what about employment? No one wants to hire a crazy and/or retarded guy, and if you been to the psych ward, they will somehow know. Extremely hard to find a legit job. As you all know, being crazy is very unforgiving in today's society. You just can't be that. You have to act normal to be treated normal. I am seriously mad that I don't care about anybody. If one of my normal friends become crazy sometime in the future, I will berate them just as they are berating me. But still, people ask the question, well why don't you get help? Because help is expensive and help is not help! That psych ward is some kind of jail. If you do manage to get out of there, you realize that your life on the outside is all fucked up. I don't know, I really don't want to cause trouble for people. Just waiting for this stupid thing called life to end. I signed a DNR so that if I am revived retarded, I ain't coming back to the psych ward again, but I don't know if they will follow through on that. I also refused organ donation cuz ain't no one harvesting my shit. Excuse my craziness, but shit is forreal out there!

Also, do you want to know about your HIPPA privacy rights? You don't have it! I swear these healthcare professionals are some kind of assholes!

I feel your frustrations. The only thing that has kept me out of institutions is the uncanny ability to get instantly calm and rational when that option is on the table. It's so unfortunate that good help is had to find, and when you do find it, it's often very expensive. I have very little trust in the medical system, and virtually none in the psychiatric realm. I know that is bad of me to say, but I looked to them for help for over 10 years and all of their suggestions/prescriptions made my problems exponentially worse.

What exactly are your psychiatric issues? Are you on any medications or self medicating with any drugs? I ask because sometimes there are prescriptions that can help, alternatively there are some drugs that make certain conditions worse. I have used the Internet to get a handle on my problems so they no longer control my life, it may be something that you can do as well. The mental health system really needs to be reformed, but that's not going to happen as long as big pharma can continue to hold people hostage with mediocre medications. It's far easier to sedate people than actually helps them resolve their issues and learn to work through them :/ Good luck!

I will admit that I am seriously fucked up in the head. I accept that. But there is nothing that I can do except keep trucking along. I called the suicide hotline many times. Do you know what they do? Nothing. What is worse is that they call 911, which brings me to that, the psych ward. Once you are admitted, they will start billing your insurance company immediately or if you don't have one, they will bill you until you get discharged. Once you are in there, the nurses and psychiatrists have absolute power over you. They won't discharge you until you are perceived to be mentally stable. I mean it's cool and chillax in there, but by the time you come out, that's when the problems hit you, like the bills, catching up on the time you lose, etc. And what about employment? No one wants to hire a crazy and/or retarded guy, and if you been to the psych ward, they will somehow know. Extremely hard to find a legit job. As you all know, being crazy is very unforgiving in today's society. You just can't be that. You have to act normal to be treated normal. I am seriously mad that I don't care about anybody. If one of my normal friends become crazy sometime in the future, I will berate them just as they are berating me. But still, people ask the question, well why don't you get help? Because help is expensive and help is not help! That psych ward is some kind of jail. If you do manage to get out of there, you realize that your life on the outside is all fucked up. I don't know, I really don't want to cause trouble for people. Just waiting for this stupid thing called life to end. I signed a DNR so that if I am revived retarded, I ain't coming back to the psych ward again, but I don't know if they will follow through on that. I also refused organ donation cuz ain't no one harvesting my shit. Excuse my craziness, but shit is forreal out there!

Also, do you want to know about your HIPPA privacy rights? You don't have it! I swear these healthcare professionals are some kind of assholes!

There really isn't any hope for people like me and you. I was Baker acted when I started to expresss all my thoughts and feelings to my Psych DR of 7 years. So I was basically handcuffed thrown in a cop car and taken to a hospital all for trying to get help.

This is my opinion most people don't share it, if you are paying someone they don't really want to help u it's just there job..for a paycheck.

.the best thing u can do is find like minded people in person or over the Internet so u can help each other and talk thru things.

i don't think most ppl know how much some of the threads with just ranting and venting help people that are struggling know that they aren't alone..

the best thing the general public could do is start realizing crazy is a reletive term..like everything else

This is my opinion most people don't share it, if you are paying someone they don't really want to help u it's just there job..for a paycheck.

.the best thing u can do is find like minded people in person or over the Internet so u can help each other and talk thru things.

i don't think most ppl know how much some of the threads with just ranting and venting help people that are struggling know that they aren't alone..

the best thing the general public could do is start realizing crazy is a reletive term..like everything else

Very true and very well said!

Can't argue with that.

I work in the dda part of the mental health field. Everyone I support has depression, bipolar and explosive d/o and psycosis. Along with many more things but those are the ones that I always see in everyone. So my 12 hour days can get long. And when someone threatens or actually tries to kill themselves we follow the same routine. Call 911 then when they go to the behaviour unit they are sedated til they are calm then they are released back to us. Honestly I wish there was more that we could do when working with them 1 on 1 but there's only so much we can do before our company makes up call 911. Its very sad to see these people in the same routine of abulance straps then sedation then release. But the mental health side of healthcare is completed ignored and it pisses me off

Many mental health professionals are some of the time, if not chronically burnt out. Clients who refuse to do even the most basic self-care. Administration that has no idea what's going on but makes new stupid rules and revises the mission statement to try to seem relevant. Clients family expressing they want to help but are actually doing damage.Slashed budgets. New programs out of nowhere. People posting in sentence fragments on, the internet. :)

The mental health system in the US is often a too late reaction to crises that were happening a few years ago. In most areas mental health j agencies, goals, and staff are transitory, especially regarding acute patients in crisis.

Acute psychiatric patients are told to get to an ER/ED a lot of times. ER/ED staff don't like dealing with psych emergencies. They page a psychiatric attending or resident. Psych patient uncomfortably occupies a curtained area for maybe 20 minutes maybe four hours til psych doc shows up. in that mean time the whole ER setting is so counter therapeutic. The psych patient knows the ER folks don't really know what to do except peak in at the patient periodically.

So for starters, I think psych needs a crisis center that isn't a general Accident & Emergency ER. Most populous regions could do this, and I even believe it could be money saving.

I'm drifting away from OPs topic, but deadendgame ​I do know some of your frustration and I've been trying to contemplate how to fix the very broken system.

yeah. thanks so much guys. as you know, im schizophrenic, but no one in the world understands that. when i tell the psychiatrist, he gives me antipsychotics. when i tell others, they tell me to get over it. that is what makes me a secretly bitter person

Many mental health professionals are some of the time, if not chronically burnt out. Clients who refuse to do even the most basic self-care. Administration that has no idea what's going on but makes new stupid rules and revises the mission statement to try to seem relevant. Clients family expressing they want to help but are actually doing damage.Slashed budgets. New programs out of nowhere. People posting in sentence fragments on, the internet. :)

The mental health system in the US is often a too late reaction to crises that were happening a few years ago. In most areas mental health j agencies, goals, and staff are transitory, especially regarding acute patients in crisis.

Acute psychiatric patients are told to get to an ER/ED a lot of times. ER/ED staff don't like dealing with psych emergencies. They page a psychiatric attending or resident. Psych patient uncomfortably occupies a curtained area for maybe 20 minutes maybe four hours til psych doc shows up. in that mean time the whole ER setting is so counter therapeutic. The psych patient knows the ER folks don't really know what to do except peak in at the patient periodically.

So for starters, I think psych needs a crisis center that isn't a general Accident & Emergency ER. Most populous regions could do this, and I even believe it could be money saving.

I'm drifting away from OPs topic, but deadendgame ​I do know some of your frustration and I've been trying to contemplate how to fix the very broken system.

Back in active addiction I was chronically in and out of the ER. They had a section for psych patients, so at least I had my own room. I was continuously treated poorly, even though I was not out of control or angry, quite rational actually when I would wake up. The treat psych patients like crap, even though statistically 25% of medical professionals are addicts themselves. I wonder where in their career they lose compassion, and why when they do get burned out they stay in the same position.

I think the biggest issue with psychiatrists is they don't really listen to their patients. They hear the first part and make a hurried diagnosis. Perhaps more patients would follow care instructions if the psychiatrist listens and considered what the patient was say before throwing inappropriate drugs at them. Case in point I saw my shrink just out of rehab. He's the one who got me the referral to rehab. Benzos were a problem and I kicked them in rehab. I have OCD. After my first visit I left with a script for Xanax and Adderall (which ive never taken previously or ever). Seriously - I just kicked Xanax, I'm an addict, and you're going to give me Xanax and then add another addiction to the mix with Adderall?!? I lost all faith. I got none of those scripts filled and had to do copious research to figure out supportive meds for the Xanax withdrawal, which was given to me by a previous shrink, and go though my GP to get them.

I was given Xanax for anxiety and had no idea it was dangerous or abusable. They scripted it to me for 10 years. That pisses me off. They knew the dangers and didn't give me a heads up so I could make a choice. I blindly trusted them. They gave it to me incidentally because I was seeking help for an alcohol addiction and was honest to them about that. I got a diagnosis of depression. Of course I was depressed, my OCD was untreated, I suffered terrible anxiety, and my life was deteriorating at a rapid pace. If the shrink would have listened to me he would have picked up the OCD and treated that, not just the ancillary symptoms.

I wasted over ten years of my life on this and am still recovering. My last benzo was over six years ago and I still have neurological damage from being pulled of the Xanax cold turkey by ironically, the shrink in rehab who spent all of five minutes with me.

Medical professionals have an obligation not to harm their patients, and at some point in their careers they forget that and lose their compassion so we are treated as objects to be reconciled. This is unacceptable. I know I got treated much better than my peers because I had great insurance and money - my peers who were poor basically didn't exist and were primarily kept sedated.

Somewhere in the last thirty years ethics have been removed from the medical field, and big pharma has stepped in to capitalized on a population of helpless, marginalized group of society that exist on the fringe so mainstream society doesn't care and let's it continue. As long as we are not inconvenient to anyone we can exist. The minute were inconvenient we are overly medicated and institutionalized until we can stay out of the way on our own reconnaissance.

Thank you for listen to my unintended rant.

yeah man. i understand what you're saying. it's the fucking psychiatrists' fault. they're the ones that got me hooked on prescription meds in the first place and now that I like them they stopped giving them to me. I seriously don't know what the fuck is their problem. these psychiatrists don't do jack shit except write scripts for antipsychotic pills. That's all they do. Heck my social worker did more than the psych doctor did. and psychologists? it's like paying money to talk to yourself. yeah, the psych wards I went to are aiight. honestly, i wish i would just be locked up there for the rest of my life but after a few weeks, they kicked me out. okay guys, thanks for the help. i really appreciate it. it's glad to know that I'm not alone and I hope we all get better together