• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2016-17 NHL Season

^^^ I can understand that. Especially if you're American. It gets shit coverage in the US. ESPN couldn't give a fuck less about it. I just don't get the people who say it's boring.

And that was a fine punch he landed! :D

San Jose is my go to pick. They are the team I root for every year that the Sabs can't hack it.

MTL, MIN, CHI, NYR (Yuck), BOS (Bigger Yuck) all have shots in my eyes.

CBJ, PHI, FLA, ANA, EDM all could make a push as well. Philly probably has the most experience and gumption out of this group to do it, depending on how their 'tending works out. Mason has looked good but is a huge head case.

I can attest to Mason being a head case. When he's on he's on, but when he's off... whew... let's just say you're well served to have a good back up.

And I love Columbus (as you know), but as well as they're playing right now, they lack playoff experience and (I believe) aren't ready to go far into the playoffs, but I think they'll make a good push too. I'd love to see if they can bottle what they're doing now.

San Jose though... I don't know. They're a really solid team, but I always joke that Joe Thornton will never win a Stanley Cup and after last year... I think I may be right. I don't know what it is about Thornton and the Sharks, but as good as they are, they just don't have that killer instinct.

Montreal is good, but there's something a little off with them. They'd started the season with something like nine wins and then the Jackets beat em 10-0. Something just doesn't compute there. I have a feeling that while they're good, they're a bit lucky, too. :D

I don't think you have much to worry about with the Rangers though. They apparently don't wanna play the forecheck. I haven't watched them much this season, but a friend of mine who does watch em said they practically don't forecheck at all and when they do, it's usually one guy on the forecheck and four stationed around the blueline. If that's true, then I don't see them doing anything in the playoffs at all.

I feel like Chicago is always a threat, I agree that Philly could be a tough. I think St. Louis might surprise some people. I thought they looked pretty good last season.

The Jackets won their 10th straight tonight and when searching "NHL" on google, it wasn't mentioned in the top ten stories. No fucking respect at all.

The NHL did however have it in it's featured news stories. It was the second featured story, understandably behind Jagr tying Messier on the all time points list. That's enormous. What a legend Jagr is. I can't believe he's still playing. I'm 34 years old and he was a big deal when I was a little kid. It's insane what this dude is doing. Good for him. He deserves all the accolades he gets. What a wonderful career he's having.

I have a Jaromir Jagr rookie card somewhere, I'll see if I can find it at some point

its crazy how he's been a force in the NHL for as long as I've been alive

I agree. He left for the KHL for a short stint. Which only make it more incredible that he's tied at 2nd all time for points. The guy is a machine. I was 8 years old when he was drafted by Pittsburgh.

6a00d83451b26169e201b7c7d9273c970b-pi

Tbf, he is only still playing because he has a gambling problem worse than most of our drug addictions combined together.

When hockey star Jaromir Jagr finally cashed in on a sports wager, his bookie and the bet-takers let out a brief roar of excitement from their gambling hub in Costa Rica.

Jagr was a notoriously bad gambler, likely to lose every wager he placed. His bookie, Steve Budin, had begun to worry that Jagr might fall prey to a bout of good sense and stop gambling altogether, given his propensity to lose.

"When he finally won a bet there was like an eruption in the office," said Budin, one of the first American bookies to establish an offshore operation. "We were concerned because how long could a guy continue to lose and continue to play."​

But god damn is that hair luscious.

Couldn't find my hockey cards but I found this picture of Dave Schultz that he signed.

IMG_0088.jpg

^ That's fucking rad! I love it. I have an autographed card of Gretzky's that I just assume would get me into Canada without a passport. It basically offers me immunity from the Mounties. Getting back in the states, however, could be a problem.

JahSEEus, be that as it may... the man is still a machine. Being second on the points list is a cash cow he could ride for a while if he can get away from gambling. Which is great, cause for him to beat Gretzky (I did the math), he would have to play all 82 games for another 10.5 seasons at his current average of points per game. That's not including if he should play in the playoffs. So I mean... unless he has a STEADY decline in production from age 44-54, I suppose that's possible, but with age, we might wanna tack on a few extra years. So let's be on the safe side and say... in order for Jagr to catch Gretzky in points, he'd probably have to play well into his 60s. :D

He might, I think he genuinely loves playing hockey.

I know he often asks for the keys to the rinks of whichever team he is playing for and holds night skates for anyone on the team that wants some extra ice time.

That is fucking leadership and dedication if I've ever heard of it. Plus he has a better chance of banging smoking hot 20 something models while he is still playing. I would love for him to play into his 60's.

He gets the keys and holds night skates, but what you don't realize is that he's charging ten bucks a head to be there. :D

That's legit though. I agree he probably just genuinely loves the game. And what a hell of a locker room guy he must be. Guy's been in the league 26 years and he's still worth having on the team. He's still a potential 20+ goal scorer. He had 66 points last season. That's impressive.

Also, I looked up his career stats and saw nothing of the KHL. Did I just make that up? I swear he left and played a season or two in Russia. I'm so disappointed in myself. :(

And the Jackets keep rollin', holy shit!

They were up 3-1 against Pittsburgh, then scored three goals in 51 seconds. Another goal shortly after. They just won 7-1. They have the best PP% in the league by almost 3%. 2nd best goals against with 62. Best goal differential in the league. They've just looked unstoppable lately. I don't ever wanna come back down from this cloud. :D

^ Was a pretty good game. Blue Jackets look really good from the games I've seen this season. I'll definitely be pulling for them.

Thanks! It's hard not to like them. They've never been a powerhouse and are still a relatively young team, so it's hard to have any reason to hate them. What they're doing right now is nothing short of amazing. I realize they can't keep this up forever, but holy shit they've been so good lately. They're undefeated in December. Their 3rd period performance as of late is just pure domination. It's really incredible to watch as a fan.

My favorite players to watch used to be the Kostitsyn brothers. It's a shame they went back to play in Russia.

sergei was a beast in shootouts. They both had really quick hands and were fast skaters. Physical players too. Wtf happened? Lol

Nucks lose another one
Hoping for a high draft pick again this year
Too bad the scouting record since 2000 has been some of the worst in the NHL... gonna be a bad team for at least a few more years