• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

Word of the Day IV - Letter Words

Decision Problem. In computing, the problem of whether a given program will terminate or stick in an infinite loop. See also some famous dude commemorated by a statue on which there's a picture of me sitting. Turing proved that you cannot generally tell, by inspecting the Source Code of a program, whether or not it will terminate.

Sometimes you can; for instance,
bored kids in Derby on computers being demonstrated in shops said:
10 PRINT "FOREST ARE SHIT ";
20 GOTO 10
is clearly an infinite loop as there is no way to break out of it. But what if there is a conditional that will never be satisfied in practice?
10 FOR N=10 TO 1 STEP -1
20 PRINT N; "GREEN BOTTLES, HANGING ON THE WALL"
30 PRINT N; "GREEN BOTTLES, HANGING ON THE WALL"
40 PRINT "AND IF ONE GREEN BOTTLE SHOULD ACCIDENTALLY FALL"
50 PRINT "THERE'D BE "; N-1 ; "GREEN BOTTLES, HANGING ON THE WALL"
60 PRINT
65 IF N <4 THEN N=4
70 NEXT N
Now imagine line 65 replaced by something that depends on external input, and you can see there is no way to tell if it will terminate. Analysing a loop to see if it is infinite, is itself potentially infinite: you can only know for sure under very limited circumstances, otherwise you end up stuck in an endless loop with no way to be sure it's really endless until the universe collapses on you.

Decision Problem. In computing, the problem of whether a given program will terminate or stick in an infinite loop. See also some famous dude commemorated by a statue on which there's a picture of me sitting. Turing proved that you cannot generally tell, by inspecting the Source Code of a program, whether or not it will terminate.

Sometimes you can; for instance,is clearly an infinite loop as there is no way to break out of it. But what if there is a conditional that will never be satisfied in practice?
Now imagine line 65 replaced by something that depends on external input, and you can see there is no way to tell if it will terminate. Analysing a loop to see if it is infinite, is itself potentially infinite: you can only know for sure under very limited circumstances, otherwise you end up stuck in an endless loop with no way to be sure it's really endless until the universe collapses on you.

10 PRINT "Quim"

20 GOTO 10

On the subject of infinitely repetitive futility,

Sisyphus...

Paronomasiac

((s) R Us)

I don't think I'm the only person who has had to googly woogly that beaut.

Frankly, its so perfectly meta I cannot see how it can be anything other than an overall winner, regardless of what happens to anyone on any day from here to the end of time
with no consequence to anything anyone may think about or experience between now and then that could be described or alluded to in a single word.

Sham wins, thread closed,

Hehe. Must admit I was rather pleased with it myself. Glad I'm not the only werdnerd amongst us =D

(the collective noun for werdnerds being, of course, berd. because everybody's herd about the berd and the berd-berd-berd-berd-berd is the werd.

innit)

Last edited:
there was no need to delete the dubs because everybody knows that the berd is the werd and well a berd - berd - b - berds the werd: a - well - a- berd!

^ had to google that. Can use that for my housemate, gonna peek through her key hole :D

gonna peek through her key hole :D

Nasty euphemism there :p

I was actually using it in the Irish way. Here's Jim McDonald to help you:

NSFW:
52897016.jpg

Oobleck

Dirty is definitely the word to use.

Thanks, very helpful! Completely understand now lol