• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Newbie With Question Norco

NervousP

Greenlighter
Hello---
I am a newbie, but I've been lurking for about 8 months.

I'm very scared about being prescribed Vicodin 7.5 for Severe GI pain. For many months I tried avoiding it and also obsessed about addiction fears. Unfortunately the pain is so bad, I do have to take them multiple times per day.
I have been prescribed the medication since September 2015, but was able to go many days without it and get pain relief on a much lower dose.

I've been searching for posts about tolerance. I've read many posts on taking supplements, breaks from pills, etc.

The last post I read said that by simply reducing my dose I can lower my tolerance. It's the only post I've ever seen that stated something like that and I would like to know if it's true.
I can take 7 pills per day and upon my request, my multiple doctors, my mom, and myself monitor my intake carefully.
Because my father is an alcoholic, I have a lot of fears about addicton.
Unfortunatelt, I have gone 3 months without a single day off Vicodin. The pain is intolerable.

I am supposed to be seen at good hospital about two hours from my home but nothing is available until October.

Ibe be even found now that I'm still in pain on my meds.

im supposed to take 1 every four hours and 2 before bed. I have to take 3-3.5 pills for relief and dose it twice.
i think sometimes I take an extra oill when pain returns later at night.
Two times my count was off and I was given four pills to cover it.

I hate this. I hardly ever drink or do anything to alter my consciousness.
Inititally I did enjoy the pleasant side effects from the Vicodin, but of course they're gone now. I won't take a lot to get that good feeling back.

Paranoid--- paranoid that my pharmacist thinks I'm a piece of shit. I hate getting my script filled

I am just at my wits end with constant pain. I don't drive on meds and have become more isolated. I played music professionally, but the pain nausea and vomitting made me miss gigs so I stopped performing. im pretty bummed out
My doctor did promise that these pain meds are only temporary and he will help me get off of them once I have more testing and treatment.

so-- is it true that if I try to take a little bit less I can lose my tolerance and take less pills?
I'll admit--- since I suffer from mental health issues, I was guilty of enjoying the relief of those issues as well as the pain.
I'm just scared and alone--- tired --- feeling like I'm losing my strength

thank you to anyone who reads this

OP, I hate to do this to you, but I didn't get a clear idea of exactly what your question was. You are just trying to figure out how to lower your tolerance?

It seems like you're trying to talk through your situation. Discussing these concerns with a therapist and/or doctor is probably your best bet. Have you tried any other pain meds? They might switch you onto something different or at least find a combination that works better for you.

It might be really difficult, but don't even worry about what your pharmacist thinks. He's going to dispense your meds as the doctor ordered whether he's skeptical, concerned, or maybe even jealous.

I'm not really sure what it is you want to know but I think you need to just calm down. Don't worry what your pharmacy thinks at all. you're not in there 5 days before your refill date trying to make up a story about how your dog got into your pills and you need your refill now. Those are the only kind of people that they can't stand. If you're trying to reduce your tolerance, just take about half as much for a while, like 10 days or something. Basically just take the least amount you can get by on for as long as you can deal with it. Then you will be able to take a larger dose and feel the nice effects more. You can't realistically expect the pills to take all of your pain away. Opiates can make your condition more bearable but it's basically just a band aid. Lots of people keep taking higher doses to eliminate all their pain and feel the high but eventually they get to the point of not being able to control their pain at all and have to keep using just to avoid withdrawal.