• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Sacked after being arrested??

Small_town_casual

Bluelighter
For a start I live in the UK and in a nutshell my house was raided while I was at work. The police rang my mobile (don't know how they got that number) and told me they'd forced entry to my house yada yada and where was I as I needed to go the station. I was a labourer and working for a local guy and at first thought it was a wind up but agreed got dropped off at a local pub and 15 minutes police arrived and I was taken away, no handcuffs used.

Anyway they are trying to charge me with conspiracy to supply, they found 3 Es and £2,500 and have seized my phone, I got bailed and haven't been charged yet and since been back and been rebailed.

Now my question is, I was "let go" because of this even though nothing in the papers (was in mid March it happened) not been charged, not been to court or anything and no previous charges (have spent the night in the cells but wasn't charged). So my question is, did he have reasonable ground to sack me as such, yeah he is a local builder etc even though none of his work is local, I've never been late ever and was dinner time I got lifted (my boss dropped me off at the pub) so it's not like I phoned in to say I've been lifted, but worse of all he's someone I did class as a mate, he's been one of the lads before back I the day etc so just pissed me off a bit.

Anyone able to elaborate on the matter? And if you need to know anything else to be able to say just ask, cheers =D

How long had you been continuously employed by the company for? You'll need at least 2 years service to claim unfair dismissal.

Were you given a reason for dismissal? If so, this may help determine whether it was one of the 'fair reasons' in law.

Did they follow the correct procedures as outlined in their disciplinary policy? If not, you may have a claim for wrongful dismissal.

Did they give you an opportunity to appeal the decision?

You may wish to phone ACAS (the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) for free advice on your situation.

How long had you been continuously employed by the company for? You'll need at least 2 years service to claim unfair dismissal.

Were you given a reason for dismissal? If so, this may help determine whether it was one of the 'fair reasons' in law.

Did they follow the correct procedures as outlined in their disciplinary policy? If not, you may have a claim for wrongful dismissal.

Did they give you an opportunity to appeal the decision?

You may wish to phone ACAS (the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) for free advice on your situation.

No was only there a few months and it was because I was arrested, I phoned him to let him know I was out the cells and I'd be reet Tuesday (was Friday I phoned him, he'd gone away for a long weekend, Friday-Monday) and he said he couldn't keep me on because of it. :p

No was only there a few months and it was because I was arrested, I phoned him to let him know I was out the cells and I'd be reet Tuesday (was Friday I phoned him, he'd gone away for a long weekend, Friday-Monday) and he said he couldn't keep me on because of it. :p

Then you'd have no statutory right to file an unfair dismissal claim.

Your only hope would be to file a claim for wrongful dismissal, under something like procedural impropriety.

Fuck it ain't worth the hassle plus he's meant to be a mate of mine, just felt it was a bit harsh binning me off for that... Cheers for the advice though mate, much appreciated.

No worries... have a Masters degree in Employment Law so thought I'd put it to some good use since graduating haha!

You're right, unfortunately it isn't worth it, but I totally understand why you're pissed off. Best of luck in finding a new job mate :)