• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Your Favorite Drug Movie!

cannabiskid

Greenlighter
Hello All %)
I recently saw "Pulp Fiction" and I'm obsessed. I've watched it about 6 times in the past month. If you haven't seen it yet, its a MUST SEE, in fact all Quentin Tarantino movies are. Just created this thread for people who enjoy film, and drugs. so type up your favorite drug movies for everyone to enjoy!

1.) Life Is Hot in Cracktown

2.) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
3.) Trainspotting
4.) Requiem for a Dream
5.) The Wolf of Wall Street

Ha! Life is hot in Cracktown! Didn't think anyone knew about that film here. It kind of flew under the radar but it was indeed a good film.

I recently re-watched "Trainspotting" and there is so much that's relatable in that film, even though it's set in an entirely different country and era (1990's Scotland). I feel that there are certain things regarding "heroin culture" that are just universal and that movie captured some of them perfectly: quitting and having your junkie buddies quit with you to prove that it's "not that hard", being hesitant about providing a newcomer with heroin until they offer to pay for it (and then having all previous hesitation vanish when the prospect of getting high for free emerges), the polydrug abuse that so often seems to accompany heroin, etc. The main character of that film reminds me strongly of someone I used to know back when I used dope. Such a great film.

Life Is Hot in Cracktown << Don't know this one, so I can't rate it. But the others are all great movies and I can see why you'd place them in that order. I'm gonna switch them around a little bit though. Cause I think DiCaprio rules in drug-related movies. :D Also, blow should be in there somewhere IMO.

1.) The Wolf of Wall Street
3.) Trainspotting
4.) Requiem for a Dream
5.) Blow

I've also heard a great deal about 'drugstore cowboy', but I've never gotten around to seeing it. This thread reminded me of it, I'll watch it soon, my netflix is about to expire anyway and I don't have a credit card atm so Ill need to download, *cough* I mean purchase, some stuff to watch while I'm waiting for a new credit card.

Hello All %)
I recently saw "Pulp Fiction" and I'm obsessed. I've watched it about 6 times in the past month. If you haven't seen it yet, its a MUST SEE, in fact all Quentin Tarantino movies are. Just created this thread for people who enjoy film, and drugs. so type up your favorite drug movies for everyone to enjoy!

Only recently for the first time? If you don't mind my asking; how old are you? I really thought everyone on the planet (who owns a tv and the internet) had seen it at least once. Lol.

Shit I forgot about Blow. I'd probably switch Requiem to #5 and put Blow as my #4. The Wolf of Wall Street was good but I honestly didn't think it was as great as everyone else seemed too, so it can get the fuck out of my list. Drugstore Cowboy was good too but it's not making the list.

I've always loved Life Is Hot in Cracktown for the fact that it holds nothing back, it's quite realistic in showing how dark and disgusting a heavy addiction to crack or IV heroin can really end up being.

Some scenes in Life Is Hot in Cracktown are probably a bit too graphic for certain people to handle tbh.

Last edited:
I've also heard a great deal about 'drugstore cowboy', but I've never gotten around to seeing it. This thread reminded me of it, I'll watch it soon, my netflix is about to expire anyway and I don't have a credit card atm so Ill need to download, *cough* I mean purchase, some stuff to watch while I'm waiting for a new credit card.

Only recently for the first time? If you don't mind my asking; how old are you? I really thought everyone on the planet (who owns a tv and the internet) had seen it at least once. Lol.
Im 14

3.) Trainspotting
4.) Requiem for a Dream
5.) The Wolf of Wall Street

Yeah, my vote would be for Requiem for a Dream. Typical disturbing subject matter from Darren Aronofsky, one of my faves.

A scanner darkly. I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet.

If you haven't seen it, go see it. A scanner darkly is awesome. God only knows how many times ive watched it.

Trainspottings ok, and I love Robert Carlyle. Requiem for a dream is an excellent movie but unbelievably depressing. I usually watch it once a year and every time I feel emotionally drained by the end.

But yeah, everyone go watch a scanner darkly.

Last edited:

I only saw it for the first time about a week ago. I'm not much of a film person, though, so that is to be expected.

Drug films I liked include Trainspotting, and Fear and Loathing in LV. I'm very picky when it comes to films, as I expect them to portray reality like it is (unless the opposite is the purpose of the film), and I guess drug films score very low in this because the reality of drug use often differs greatly from the popular perception, and to an educated person is so painfully obvious that it just makes it hard to watch. Not all of them, of course, but a fair few.

I liked Blow a lot. This is hard to admit, because I have an unhealthy disdain for Johnny Depp.

Drug Store Cowboy was a sick one too. It really focused heavily on my subject matter (Opioids) so I was able to get into it pretty easily.

This is great! Thanks for giving me some movie ideas, even though I have a difficult time sitting through most there's a few here that I think I want to check out.

The three that stand out in my mind are Requiem for a Dream, Blow, and Candy.

Requiem For a Dream will always be a classic. The ending is horrific, but a good lot of it reminds me of the beginnings of my own addiction.
Blow is just an all around great watch.
Candy, while more mild, interweaves the love relationship with drugs and a love relationship between two addicts. Though it could be better, I especially like this movie, because it mimics so much of what I've either been through or seen in real life.

I liked Blow a lot. This is hard to admit, because I have an unhealthy disdain for Johnny Depp.

Drug Store Cowboy was a sick one too. It really focused heavily on my subject matter (Opioids) so I was able to get into it pretty easily.

And it had a cameo by w h burroughs as the priest, i swear when he (the priest) gets handed that shopping bag full of pharma opiods i found that touching for some reason he then says u bought your way into heaven for this my boy or something lol.

Also blow, other drug movies can be a bit depressing, think such is their point ya dig.

Another good "drug-themed movie" is "White Lightnin'" (2009). Good little independent film that flew under the radar, like "Life is Hot in Cracktown". It makes me proud of my hick/white trash heritage ;) It isn't strictly about drugs but there is a fair amount of substance abuse in it.

Spun is good one too. Most metheads/speedfreaks will find it entertaining, but watch it wired because the cravings are almost certain otherwise ;)

My favorite has to be Trainspotting. A few others would be Dazed and Confused, Basketball Diaries, Scarface, Wolf of Wall Street, Fear and Loathing, Enter the Void.