• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How to be a scientist of computer's

LazyTheGreat

Bluelighter
Hello Bluelighters! I am currently attending a community college at the moment. I have been contemplating whether I should pursue a degree in computer science for a while. There is a just few unknowns I would like to bring to the light. For one, how do you become a successful computer scientist? I know a degree will not necessarily get you a job, unfortunately. Another thing that I am afraid of is whether or not I'll be able to get the coding aspect of the class down. I like to think a few steps ahead and have a backup plan just in case. So, if I for some reason don't know how to code after I receive my degree what's my other options for employment, and how can I set myself up for success to get those jobs?

You don't have to code. You have so many options. Network engineering, computer engineering, robotics, research, security, administration... so many options.

Something to consider if you don't want to go the PhD route is to get an undergrad in CompSci and then get an MBA. Lots and lots of people go this route to get into management. A Master's in computer science is kinda useless. You learn a lot of methodologies and theories and it won't get you much further than someone with an undergrad and lots of experience. But with an MBA you have a better chance of getting into management to the executive level.