• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Meth as detox agent?

d0wN

Bluelighter
This is my first ever post, but I'm a long time lurker, so apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong forum.

I have been using opioids on a daily basis for approx 7 years, exclusively percocet and vicodin, always orally, at an average of 100 mg per day, give or take. They are not causing me any particular life problems, but they just don't do what they used to, and the $500 per month I spend on them doesn't seem value-proportional anymore. I can afford them but I'm just throwing good money after bad. So I've made several attempts to kick them without success. Tried tapering and cold turkey.

Recently, I ran across someone with access to Meth, so I copped a G, bought a bowl and blazed away. I have a long history with Meth going back 20 years. I'm assuming from what I've read that this is going to sound kind of strange, but I've never had any problem just putting the pipe down and walking away. I personally don't think Meth is addicting in a purely physiological sense, but that's for another day. What I found, quite by accident, is that while tweaking the withdrawal effects from the percs were muted almost to the point of not being present, save for the usual sneezing spasms and runny nose. I am averaging 15-20 MG's of ops while on Meth, only to stop the sneezing.

SO...am I crazy/delusional for thinking Meth could be my ticket out of opioid addiction? I have never had the after effects of quitting Meth that everyone, my wife included, seems to suffer thru. No intense craving. Sleep a couple of days and then meh. Now, what gives me pause is that I am 61 yes old, have 9 stents in my heart from 3 heart attacks, but am otherwise in great physical shape with a body fat content that is probably under the average for my height. With all this in mind, is this a good idea/ bad idea and why? I'm aware of the obvious, I know Meth raises blood pressure etc and it's not without risk, but I take lots of heart meds and BP has never an issue. My heart problems are vascular in nature, no congenital defects and little if any loss of muscle. My plan as I speak is 30 days if meth with 4-5 days of reduced tapering followed by 25 days of cold turkey with the meth acting as my blast shield. I will be hapoy to list all of my meds if you think it is germaine. Thoughts/strategies?

Last edited:
where I am from, meth is pretty much non existent and I don't even know of anyone who could get it in our area, let alone tried it. So unfortunately I cannot give you an answer from personal experience because I have never done meth, BUT from what I have read on this website and others.... yes meth would hep you out during withdrawal.

back when I was using and in withdrawal, if I had access to meth I would 100% use it during the acute withdrawal phase. Be very careful tho that you don't trade the opiates for a new meth addictive because it likely will happen.... after you kick the opiates there will be a massive void in your life that will need to be filled.... don't fill it with meth.

also you say you are 61 and had 3 heart attacks man you should deff not be smoking meth you quite possibly could get another attack and die. What you should do is get on a suboxone maintenance program... let me know if you were to have ne questions about suboxone.

I have done a little reading on sub's, if I recall correctly this would require me to go thru my Doctor, who is the one that has been prescribing the percs to me. She's a really nice lady and I would basically be telling her I've been hustling her for drugs all these years, but the bigger issue for me is that I am really adamant about staying out of The System and handling it without medical intervention. Plus, I've heard sub's can be harder to kick than my DOC?

I used methylphenidate as part of my opiate detox. Usually in opiate withdrawal we have adrenal spikes. The addition of meth or other stimulants can increase the risk of developing adrenal fatigue. Adrenal fatigue is pretty nasty once it sets rolling and treatment is a bitch as to cure the fatigue you need to exercise.

If your going to add meth into your detox chemicals I would consider taking it orally and would certanly also add in a dopamine/adrenal precursor and foods that are rich in these also. I would also add in an hour a day of prolonged low intensity exercise to cause vital neurotransmitter formation and regulation.

I would not go with the subs until you have really determined you can't get off another way. They serve purpose for many, but are also a trap many people get stuck in.

medications for acute opiate detox

The medications I would explore the use of for detox would be:
>Clonidine< DOSED EVER FOUR HOURS..

one of either
>NEURONTIN< >HERE< >HERE< >here<
OR >Lyrica<
OR >phenibut<

>A BENZO BUT JUST AT NIGHT<
>a nsaid<
>melatonin<
tylenol
Senokot S is a stool softener and laxative. If you do not want the laxative you can go for strait stool softenerDioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate.

(Opi Withdrawal) what is the best comfort meds for opiate w/d?

Your Personal Opiate Withdrawal Arsenal

Would temazepan work as the benzo even though it is part of my nightly drug regimen?

One more quick question: the reason I was considering a 30 day detox is to put little distance between me and the secondary withdrawal effects, but after doing some reading here I'm wondering if that's practical and if I should (IF I do this) just try to get past the initial withdrawal? Obv for me doing Meth for 30 days straight is fraught with potential problems...

Last edited:
Please don't do this, you're just trading one drug/addiction for another. Meth is extremely addictive. I know people who tried it out of curiosity and the next thing they knew they were addicted to it for years or even decades.

Meth is also extremely bad for your heart, and your post how your have stents. See a doctor or check into a rehab/detox run by medical professionals while your are still able to. Stay safe.

Last edited:
I'm taking a few days to look around the Forum and see what I can find (this is a big place!) and see if anyone else weighs in before proceeding...

Meth is sneaky in its addictiveness.
I also worry, as noted above, that it's not just the physical addiction that will get you - you will want to fill the opiate void with something, and meth will become it.
Be careful, and don't just rationalize your way from one addiction to another.

Well, Im 24 hours in on the opi detox, I took a 30 mg benzo (temazepan) last night and another this morning, slept fine, have smoked a little speed today, maybe half a bowl, it is def muting the wd symptoms, but there is still a fair to middlin' amount of discomfort and a general sense of feeling annoyed. Havent had any sneezing spasms to this point, which is HIGHLY unusual as that is usually the first sign that my system is demanding a pill. Im just kind of tracking this for my own perusal later, gonna try to find some threads about the safety and effectiveness of snorting the temazepam. The dose is 30mg but it makes me highly drowsy and I really don't want to sleep this early. I think my level of agitation is increased by the meth, so gonna prolly lay off on that and see if I can snort half of this benzo so I can get some relief without crashing.

The benzos will def help, but please make sure you use them in a manor that will not end in a physical dependence to them as you don't want to leave yourself with that to try and deal with.

Yeah true dat, good point. Im not gonna snort them, just use them for sleep as I have been. Just past 48 hours and holding steady. This is just kind of a dry run, wanted to see if the effects of the meth really served to ease the symptoms of withdrawl as I had noticed previously, and they do indeed seem to do that fwiw. But I'm kind of over speed as a pleasure drug of choice, I dont really dig the crash or the restlessness/boredom of the routine. The idea of an extended period of time on meth seems kind of meh to me, but I guess it's an option. First time Ive ever been dope sick and pulled 11 hours at work, so I guess that's not nothin'.

3 heart attacks later and your planning on doing METH? Come on man. Lets use our common sense here. If you want to die then I completely understand what you are planning to do. Otherwise there aren't many true experts on here so take what you read with a grain of salt. Nearly EVERY drug user with any length of a habit under their belt considers themself an expert. When in reality they don't know shit

I have been using opioids on a daily basis for approx 7 years, exclusively percocet and vicodin, always orally, at an average of 100 mg per day, give or take. They are not causing me any particular life problems, but they just don't do what they used to, and the $500 per month I spend on them doesn't seem value-proportional anymore. I can afford them but I'm just throwing good money after bad. So I've made several attempts to kick them without success. Tried tapering and cold turkey.

...I have a long history with Meth going back 20 years. I'm assuming from what I've read that this is going to sound kind of strange, but I've never had any problem just putting the pipe down and walking away. I personally don't think Meth is addicting in a purely physiological sense, but that's for another day...

...I have never had the after effects of quitting Meth that everyone, my wife included, seems to suffer thru. No intense craving. Sleep a couple of days and then meh. Now, what gives me pause is that I am 61 yes old, have 9 stents in my heart from 3 heart attacks ... My heart problems are vascular in nature, no congenital defects and little if any loss of muscle. My plan as I speak is 30 days if meth...

I'm quoting you on the parts that raise some questions, first, are you completely honest with yourself? Isn't having to spend 'good money after bad' because of a difficult addiction a life problem? I'm only doing this because you asked the "am I crazy?" question, not to criticize you, but to point out some things that could be contradicting, hope I don't come out as harsh or anything because I only wish for what I think is best for you. Whether we define this addiction issue as a problem or not isn't really the important part, it's that you become sure you aren't fooling yourself in any way.

You say you have a 20 year long history with meth, yet you never had a problem putting the pipe down and walking away? Why such long history then? What's the big difference between physiological and psychological addiction? You didn't really provide us an example of your using habits including amounts, but long-term meth use could be the reason you are having cardiovascular problems in the first place. It really sounds like meth has at least contributed to those heart attacks, especially since we aren't talking about congenital stuff, is that not an after effect? How sure are you that meth had no part in your heart problems, because someone might say you didn't put the pipe down and walk away when you should have if that's the case? Do you think over 30 days of being on meth is necessary to kick opioids, or is it just an old habit?

Just be honest with yourself, don't have to answer to these questions to nobody but yourself either I suppose. I'm a little worried, you say that blood pressure has never been an issue but what if it becomes an issue now for the first time when you're kicking opioids on meth? Can you deal with it in the sense that you know what signs to look for in your body if you're in danger and what to do about them? Checked for interactions between stims and your heart meds? Might be wise to do a little in depth research if possible.

When was the last time you used meth under more demanding circumstances for 30+ days? That gram might have been ok, but were you in full blown withdrawal at that point, and how how many of those will you need for the whole withdrawal process, could it be a different story? How sure are you that your arteries can handle it? I mean you already have 9 stents, I fear you will end up with more and might consider that a lucky outcome...

With that said, you aren't crazy if you think that meth can help someone with opioid withdrawals, there are plenty of testimonies for that, but it's definitely not for everyone. For some it makes things worse.

I had similar experiences using IV cocaine. And yes the thought of being speedy while dopesick is awful, but I was doing coke before it got to the point where I felt sick. Then just kept going for a few days, on a bender, and came off the bender and woke up and realized " hey I'm not dopesick"

This is the thread I posted a few years back when this happened. (Warning it was originally posted in Other Drugs, so if you're prone to triggers you may not want to read it )

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...awal-Can-a-science-savvy-someone-explain-this

wow man. i seriously feel bad for you. you are in an extremely bad situation. plz don't take any meth. with your condition, it could lead to a heart attack, and most likely will. my best advice to you is to get your ass to a detox clinic immediately where they might give you suboxone or at least help you with the withdrawal. plz don't take any meth. honestly, i think the risk of dying from meth is greater than the risk of dying from the withdrawal you might be going through

I've had SOME relief from MDMA in the past, but it was short-lived and not worth the next day headache... Get some kratom or lope to help you out, not friggin meth...