• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why am I still wide awake 24 hours after 1 dose of Meth?

VincentVega27

Greenlighter
Quite new to this stuff, but I smoked between 1 and 2 points of crystal about this time yesterday. I don't think it was the greatest stuff as I didn't feel amazing. Buzz wasn't bad but I wasn't on cloud 9. Also it only really lasted 3.5 hours or so before the paranoia started to kick in a bit.

Not long after that I took an Etizolam to take the edge off a bit. Felt OK for the next while and ended up doing another around 12 hours after I started smoking hoping that should knock me out. 3 hours later I was still distracted and unable to concentrate on sleep so I took a Melatonin. It's now a full 24 hours after I started and despite doing another Etizolam an hour or so ago I'm still wide awake.

Normally 1 Etizolam knocks me clean out but they are not even touching the sides.

Is this normal, I thought it should be wearing off after a 12 hours or so?

Many thanks

It should be wearing off soon. Just sit tight and relax. Stay hydrated and try to eat. It's not unheard of at all for Methamphetamine to keep a user up for a full 24 hours after a single dose. Post back and let us know how you're doing, but I think your insomnia should be subsiding imminently.

I've never used meth and do not ever want to; but people I know who have told me how it's extremely strong and just a small amount of it smoked, snorted, or used in another ROA (route of administration) keeps you awake for days. Do you have any benzos for the comedown? The people I know who were into meth would take low doses of a benzo when coming down. Also force yourself to eat, stay hydrated with water, and taking a hot shower will relax you. Stay safe.

I've never used meth and do not ever want to; but people I know who have told me how it's extremely strong and just a small amount of it smoked, snorted, or used in another ROA (route of administration) keeps you awake for days. Do you have any benzos for the comedown? The people I know who were into meth would take low doses of a benzo when coming down. Also force yourself to eat, stay hydrated with water, and taking a hot shower will relax you. Stay safe.

The OP clearly said in his post that he took etizolam twice.

the half-life for methamphetamine is around 12-15 hours, so that could be why. (http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/job185drugs/methamphetamine.htm) It's the adrenergic activity keeping you awaking. Norepinephrine promotes alertness and vigilance. From the link I provided:

(1 hour) less intense euphoria, hyperactivity, rapid flight of ideas, obsessive/compulsive activity, thought blending, dilated pupils; Binge use – (1-5 days) the drug is frequently readministered in an attempt to regain or maintain euphoria; Tweaking – (4-24 hours) dysphoria, scattered and disorganized thought, intense craving, paranoia, anxiety and irritability, hypervigilance, auditory and tactile hallucinations, delusions, and normal pupils; Crash – (1-3 days) intense fatigue, uncontrollable sleepiness and catnapping, continuing stimulation, drug craving; Normal – (2-7 days) apparent return to “normalcy” although drug craving may appear; Withdrawal – anergia, anhedonia, waves of intense craving, depression, hypersomnolence, exhaustion, extreme fatigue.

Last edited:
the half-life for methamphetamine is around 12-15 hours, so that could be why. (http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/job185drugs/methamphetamine.htm) It's the adrenergic activity keeping you awaking. Norepinephrine promotes alertness and vigilance. From the link I provided:

(1 hour) less intense euphoria, hyperactivity, rapid flight of ideas, obsessive/compulsive activity, thought blending, dilated pupils; Binge use – (1-5 days) the drug is frequently readministered in an attempt to regain or maintain euphoria; Tweaking – (4-24 hours) dysphoria, scattered and disorganized thought, intense craving, paranoia, anxiety and irritability, hypervigilance, auditory and tactile hallucinations, delusions, and normal pupils; Crash – (1-3 days) intense fatigue, uncontrollable sleepiness and catnapping, continuing stimulation, drug craving; Normal – (2-7 days) apparent return to “normalcy” although drug craving may appear; Withdrawal – anergia, anhedonia, waves of intense craving, depression, hypersomnolence, exhaustion, extreme fatigue.

Thanks for the reference, that clears some things up.

The OP clearly said in his post that he took etizolam twice.

Actually 3 Etizolams (spread out of course) and I've still only managed an hours sleep 30 hours in. Normally one tizzy will knock me out for 8 hours on anything less potent like E, Acid, or Coke.

I did just one relatively low dose hit. Pretty crazy considering it didn't even seem like the best gear.

Not really a convenient come down for a 4 hour high if you ask me! Meth is a hell of a drug.

We live and learn I guess 8o

I just want to add that, the reason why the effects of meth are so prolonged is because of the overwhelming power of Dopamine and Norepinephrine reuptake inhibition that keeps the brain flooded in those neurotransmitters for very long periods of time.

Things that are D2 antagonists and especially adrenergic receptor antagonism will help a lot! Stuff like Hydroxyzine which in combination will shut down histamine receptors, will have pronounced effect with the addition of blocking the dopamine and adrenal activity keeping you wired. Even a Clonidine and a few benedryl would do the trick. just countering the adrenaline activity with sleep deprivation / reason-to-be-tired, will have synergistic sedation, then add an antihistamine on top and you should knock yourself out for sure.

But honestly, it all comes down to blocking the D2 and α2A activity, that is the source of the prolonged energy you get from meth. That's why a seroquel can abort effects of drugs so dramatically. you can just start tweakin hard as fuk, pop a seroquel, and add sleep deprivation and you will just pass out HARD!

Last edited:
I just want to add that, the reason why the effects of meth are so prolonged is because of the overwhelming power of Dopamine and Norepinephrine reuptake inhibition that keeps the brain flooded in those neurotransmitters for very long periods of time.

Things that are D2 antagonists and especially adrenergic receptor antagonism will help a lot! Stuff like Hydroxyzine which in combination will shut down histamine receptors, will have pronounced effect with the addition of blocking the dopamine and adrenal activity keeping you wired. Even a Clonidine and a few benedryl would do the trick. just countering the adrenaline activity with sleep deprivation / reason-to-be-tired, will have synergistic sedation, then add an antihistamine on top and you should knock yourself out for sure.

But honestly, it all comes down to blocking the D2 and α2A activity, that is the source of the prolonged energy you get from meth. That's why a seroquel can abort effects of drugs so dramatically. you can just start tweakin hard as fuk, pop a seroquel, and add sleep deprivation and you will just pass out HARD!

You do know that the dopamine type 2 receptor (D2) exists presynaptically as well, as a feedback regulating autoreceptor. When activated by excess dopamine that's released, it tells the cell not to release more. A D2 agonist would do this. The D2 receptor is inhibitory - binding of dopamine postsynaptically activates a GIRK channel it shares with the GABA B receptor causing hyperporizations. That's why D2 agonists such as pramipexole, ropiniorle, apomorphine are sedating and can cause sudden sleep attack The D2 receptor is not excitatory so blocking it will not have the effect you're thinking of.

A D2 antagonist would do the opposite. It would block the presynaptic receptors, increasing dopamine release from the neuron. D2 antagonists cause seizures because they block the D2 inward rectifing potassium current.

And an alpha 1 antagonist would work better than an alpha 2 agonist like clonidine. You mentioned seroquel? That's a dual alpha1/alpha2 antagonist. So basically it's latter action on the alpha 2 autoreceptor (which controls the release of norepinephrine and serotonin in some parts of the brain) would release more norepinephrine. Seroquel works because of it's powerful alpha 1 blocking activity, 5-ht1a partial agonism (which is also autoreceptor for serotonin, so it would decrease release and subsequent serotonergic EPSPs) and 5-ht2a antagonism, and its antihistaminergic effect, which also relies on potassium for its effects.

Seroquel has unique properties at the D2 receptor as well. It doesn't bind tightly to them and doesn't have high intrinsic activity. Were it not for the alpha adrenergic antagonism, serotonergic effects, and histaminergic, at the right dose it would potentiate the recreational effects of drugs. Similarly how buspirone does in low doses...it's a D2 antagonist and in low doses it's only able to hit the autoreceptors, so dopamine release would be enhanced, not antagonized. Low doses of any D2 antagonist that's releatively pure would only enhance the effects. And blocking the D2 postsynaptic receptors inhibits the IPSP, disallowing them to cause hyperpolarizations upon activation. This is why hydroxyzine goes so well with opioids (Not counting its histaminergic effects.) It has very weak D2 antagonistic effects, that, at the dose used, mostly just affect the autoreceptors, increasing synaptic dopamine levels. I always found hydroxyzine to be stimulating on its own at 100mg, and it definitely increases the stimulant effect of bupropion, I've noticed.

"From biochemical and physiological studies on D2-like receptors, it was shown that these coupled, via G-proteins, to the inhibition of adenyly cylcase, the stimulation of potassium channels, and the inhibition of calcium channels." - from my dopamine receptor book. There are a lot of reports of "sleep attacks" on pramipexole (a dopamine receptor agonist) as well as ropinirole which is similar. They pretty much make people nod out out of nowhere. I read a story where it happened to this woman while she was driving. The GiRK channel the D2 receptor shares with the GABA B receptor is very inhibitory by itself. Notwithstanding the other effects of D2 activation, such as reduced dopamine release, and the above mentioned effects.

It's mostly the D1 receptor responsible for the positive effects of stimulants. Most of what the D2 receptor does is cause reward seeking and cravings. This is evidenced by modafinil, which is a selective dopamine reuptake inhibitor - it lacks the prolonged energy and hypervigilance induced by norepinephrine. Modafinil is not stimulating like amphetamines, and were it not for it's pro-histaminergic and orexin effects in the brain, it wouldn't be classified as a wakefulness promoting agent. The DRI effect is not responsible for "stimulating" properties, but for it's focus, concentration, and motivation it provides.

The adrenergic activity is what you want to block. And there are safer things than the atypical antipsychotics, such as prazosin, clonidine, guanfacine, trazodone. All which strongly inhibit adrenergic activity. Seroquel has too many side effects, ranging from metabolic problems, hormonal problem (it can cause men to grow boobs), blood sugar problem, akathisia and tardive dyskinesia, as well as seizures by blocking all the inhibiting qualities of the D2 receptor. The full-antagonist antipsychotics are best to be avoided unless you absolutely need them.

Now if you're having racing thoughts and whatnot and having other distressing psychological symptoms (paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, etc.), a D2 receptor antagonist would work well. For psychological purposes. But physiologically? The D2 receptor does not cause sedation by being antagonized. The GIRK channel it's coupled to is linked to t type calcium channels just like the GABA B receptor...and it can elicit burst openings of the calcium channel which can cause manic symptoms, just like baclofen can, but antagonizing eradicates it's inhibitory postsynaptic potentials, which makes the brain more excitable.

You're new.

That seems normal.

If yku want to come down off it quicker and dont have any downers have a couple beers or wine, turn off all tv and phone and lie in a dark room.

Its boring but it works.

I'm going to send this to the archive, as it's been dead for 2 years.