• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quotes and their meaning.

manboychef

Bluelighter
Post a quote and what it means to your recovery. I am hoping this thread will open up some discussion about the philosophy of recovery.

"When searching for answers be wary not to forget the question."

I find that asking why in recovery is important, but sometimes can be very hurtful to ones recovery. A lot of fairly bad things happened to me as a kid and as an adult. Times that I have tried to quit using before have caused me to shine a light on those experiences rather than accept that they happened and move on. It was never helpful to me to think about past transgressions against me, or those that I have committed when the original question was: "Why do I use?". When I would think about the problems it kept me stuck in the problem, which would lead to self defeating thought patterns. I found myself thinking: "If this is what happens when I am at my best, why persist in trying to better myself?" when I should have been asking the question. "What can I do to better myself?"

Here is another quote I found to be particularly poignant in my recovery.

"If nothing changes nothing changes."

In order to get better I had to be willing to change anything. I also had to be willing to get out of my comfort zone.

Last edited:
I am not sure it is a quote, but this saying expresses the freedom found in even just a few seconds of meditation. For at least just those few moments...

You have nowhere to go,
Nothing to do,
No one to be.

Pretty liberating.

Somthing else I have learned from my albeit young life so far:

If it feels right, it probably is.
If it feels wrong, it probably is.
Learn to trust your instincts.

Can we activate this thread?

I only ask as I have seen users given trouble over "bumping" old threads.

To be honest I think if you have a meaning behind posting in a thread it simply should not be seen as a "bump".

I'll post and see what happens then.

So I wanted to start a quote thread in or around this section but figured I should take a look to see if one already exists.

I was right smack dab in the belly of the beast around the time you started this sucker.

Anyways here is one. I figure I will share a picture with it and if permitted will remain active in this thread as per your intention for starting it man-child.

You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight.
- Jim Rohn

puzzle-1280-400x325.jpg

"You can not change your past, but you can start in a new direction and change your future."