• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Relationship between recreational drug preferences and therapeutic response to drugs?

zoot4thestarz

Greenlighter
Okay, so I have wondered about this topic for years but I have been unable to research answers to my questions because I have a hard time even wording the question, with such a limited knowledge of psychopharmacology and neuropsychopharmacology. I understand that many factors influence how each person responds to a drug. I want to know more about the relationship between personal preferences for certain drug classes/drugs and the potential therapeutic efficacy of either legally prescribed medication or illegal drugs used for self-medication (as opposed to drug abuse/recreational use). I'll use myself as an example to pose some of the questions I have related to this topic.

I have always preferred opiates over stimulants. My favorite opiate was hydrocodone, but I resorted to, first Oxycodone, then heroin (and subsequent heroin addiction) because hydrocodone wasn't consistently available to me. I do not enjoy the effects of cocaine/crack cocaine. Amphetamines have a positive therapeutic effect on me, but I can use them without abusing them. Opiates, on the other hand, I have no control over and pretty much immediatly become addicted if I begin using them. The drugs that provide me with the most euphoria and relief from emotional pain are nitrous oxide, ketamine, dmt, and gabapentin, even though I've spent the majority of my drug use using opiates. I do not like the effects produced by psilocybin, lsd, salvia, dxm, alcohol, or marijuana. The only time in my life that I felt completely free from the urge to use opiates, need for amphetamines, and relief from anxiety was while I was prescribed Wellbutrin (Bupropion), however it caused gran mal seizures and I have never been able to use it since then or find a comparable drug. Buprenorphine and diphenhydramine also cause me to have gran mal seizures.

Can this information be used to reveal how my brain functions and potentially guide me to a therapeutic (preferably prescribed/legal) drug that would "balance" my brain in such a way that provides the same relief from anxiety and sense of well being as my preferred "recreational" drugs do? For the purposes of this topic, I'm not interested in alternative nondrug treatments for possible brain imbalances/anxiety/dysphoria, although I support and recognize the therapeutic value of behavioral modification techniques, meditation, psychotherapy, excercise, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post and I'm looking forward to all insights (be they anecdotal, empirical, and everything in between).

Buprenorphine, diphenhydramine AND Bupropion caused you to have gran mal seizures? Was this confirmed by an EEG within 24 hours of the seizure? I'm dubious. Were there any extenuating circumstances surrounding the seizures (ie, stress, drug abuse/withdrawals)?

I think those are more pertinent questions you should be asking.

Seizures are a side effect of wellbutrin, diphenhydramine, and buprenorphine (as well as a host of other drugs) for people prone to seizures and I've been taken by ambulance each time, I'm under the care of neurologist/have had eegs and I'm on antiseizure medication/haven't had a seizure in 3 years. Your response has nothing to do with the topic at hand and provided nothing but a completely uninformed opinion...

I never enjoyed any opiate nor were they that good as pain killers for me.

Benzos + dissos on the other hand...... what pain?

There are no better drugs for emotional pain than opioids for me, there are many other drugs that may dull your emotions, but opioids... What else do you need when you're nodding out?

I've known two friends/acquaintances who've had grand mal seizures on bupropion, it's worth noting that at least one was highly benzodiazepine dependent.

There are no better drugs for emotional pain than opioids for me, there are many other drugs that may dull your emotions, but opioids... What else do you need when you're nodding out?

Man, I agree with you 100%

my addiction

I've known two friends/acquaintances who've had grand mal seizures on bupropion, it's worth noting that at least one was highly benzodiazepine dependent.

So i have done almost every drug from weed to acid to fentynal. But recently i have been sticking to weed and been snorting wellbutrin 150mg everday for the past 2 months. Recently i have become what feels like an addiction to the motion of snorting and have been very violent and paranoid when not snorting it (i smashed a tv and the pigs rolled). I have been prescribed this med for bipolar but I feel like it is causing more harm than good to my addiction revovery, any advice on how i should move forward?

So i have done almost every drug from weed to acid to fentynal. But recently i have been sticking to weed and been snorting wellbutrin 150mg everday for the past 2 months. Recently i have become what feels like an addiction to the motion of snorting and have been very violent and paranoid when not snorting it (i smashed a tv and the pigs rolled). I have been prescribed this med for bipolar but I feel like it is causing more harm than good to my addiction revovery, any advice on how i should move forward?

Welcome to bluelight!

Youd be better off starting a new thread to get answers to your question instead of hijacking the OP's thread with your post.

Have you read the books "TIHKAL" and "PIHKAL"??
Just curious because of your first statement of "doing almost every drug"

Man, I agree with you 100%

Everything that is either naturally extracted from or synthesized bio-chemically from the opium poppy, ie; codeine, morphine, heroin etc. takes away all pain.

This branch of drugs, opiates, in either its natural or pharmaceutical form is the ONLY, I repeat, ONLY substances known that takes away physical as well as psychological pain.

No other chemical does this, only the opiates take away psychological pain for the duration of effect.

This is why I've tried Heroin once and never ever again, never.

Morphine, Tramadol maybe once in a while. But Heroin, fuck no. I can fathom why people will sell every possession and be left with only a teaspoon, a syringe and the clothes on their backs.

This branch of drugs, opiates, in either its natural or pharmaceutical form is the ONLY, I repeat, ONLY substances known that takes away physical as well as psychological pain.
I have to contradict here. Don't know if it's genetically related and applies only to a certain part of the population, but dissociatives / NMDA antagonists have this effect too, for me they work miles better than any opioid - but there's also a synergy, NMDA antagonism + mu agonism ...

I would also be curious to know what recreational preferences say about brain chemistry in relation to therapeutic potential. It's a fascinating question.

I like opiates, but my choice drugs are marijuana and amphetamine (so nearly opposite of you). Maybe amphetamine is therapeutic to you because of its influence on endogenous opioid release? Maybe the indirect action makes it less rewarding to you much like ROA changes the reinforcing feel of amphetamine to me? Oral I find myself craving less with the slower onset vs snorting.

If bupropion gave you some relief, you might try sertraline/Zoloft. It has similar DRI/SSRI action as well as sigma agonism that seems to help balance me out.

Please forgive any mistakes. I'm not a med student or professional, just a girl self educating ?

But Heroin, fuck no. I can fathom why people will sell every possession and be left with only a teaspoon, a syringe and the clothes on their backs.

Clothes on my back? What clothes: all I need is this big, soft, monkey.

Everything that is either naturally extracted from or synthesized bio-chemically from the opium poppy, ie; codeine, morphine, heroin etc. takes away all pain.

No other chemical does this, only the opiates take away psychological pain for the duration of effect.

Dissociative anaesthetics too, the other isomer from opioids; but you just don't remember you forgot the physical and psychological pain, and the WDs make you way more aware of it, before the automatic memory, short / long /&/ 'muscle' (non-controlled conscious) memory (i.e. remembrance) takes hold like an elastic band and snaps you back to a more closely 'associated' (to those burdens) mental state.

Clothes on my back? What clothes: all I need is this big, soft, monkey.

Dissociative anaesthetics too, the other isomer from opioids; but you just don't remember you forgot the physical and psychological pain, and the WDs make you way more aware of it, before the automatic memory, short / long /&/ 'muscle' (non-controlled conscious) memory (i.e. remembrance) takes hold like an elastic band and snaps you back to a more closely 'associated' (to those burdens) mental state.

Noted, this is something I will have to look into as it sounds interesting. There has to be some academic studies somewhere on some university archive, pdf preffered...

Noted, this is something I will have to look into as it sounds interesting. There has to be some academic studies somewhere on some university archive, pdf preffered...

Sorry for spelling/grammar, English is not my first language, it is not even my second.