• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc UA Facts & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Znegative

Bluelight Crew
There are often UA/drug screening questions being posted, this is against the rules in BDD & OD.

However we've decided to put out this closed sticky thread in an attempt to give some basic information.

If you post a UA question, It WILL be closed. Also, if you know the answers to some interesting drug testing facts, such as different RC's testing positive, please PM a mod and we might add it to this page. This thread will be updated at the rate at which new and pertinent info comes to light. Also, if you find any of the information listed here to be false, please notify one of us and we'll change it. I did my best to research and list sources here, but no one is immune to error. Hopefully this will be of some help to people trying to find answers in regards to this topic, since questions are disallowed.

Types of Drug Testing

• Oral: FluidVery recent use up to 2 days, depending on the drug
  • Blood: Most drugs are non-detectable after five to 48 hours, depending on the drug. A good rule of thumb is only use blood for drug testing if the person is impaired at the time of collection.
  • Urine: May allow detection for several days, sometimes even more than a week. However, urine analysis does not generally permit any toxicological evaluation of drug impairment, merely drug use.
  • Hair: Drugs stay in the hair, so detection is dependent on the length submitted for testing. A standard hair drug test is 1 ½”, or 90 days
  • Nails: This includes Nail Clippings (from the tips of the nails) and Nail Shavings/Scrapings (from the surface of the nail). Nail clippings yield an approximate thirty (30) day timeframe, six (6) months prior to collection. Nail clippings and shavings yield up to a six (6) month timeframe

5 Panel Dip Test
Generally, most five panel drug tests look for the following:
  • THC
  • Cocaine
  • Opiates
  • Methamphetamine/Amphetamine
  • PCP

6 Panel
This is the same as the 5 panel with the addition of testing for benzodiazepines

7 Panel
This is the same as the 6 panel, though it will also test for either Barbiturates, or more likely Oxycodone or MDMA.

8 panel
  • Marijuana
  • Cocaine
  • Opiates
  • Amphetamine
  • Methamphetamine
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Barbiturates
  • PCP

10 panel
  • Cocaine
  • THC
  • Opiates
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Methamphetamines
  • Tricyclic Anti-depressants
  • Oxycodone
  • Buprenorphine
  • Barbiturates
  • Methadone

12 Panel
  • THC
  • Cocaine
  • Opiates
  • Amphetamines
  • Methamphetamine
  • PCP
  • Barbiturates
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Buprenorphine
  • MDMA

13 Panel Drug Test
This is a less common test that wont likely be used in the workplace but possibly by parole officers and outpatient/inpatient rehabilitation programs. The drugs it can detect are:
  • Amphetamines
  • Barbiturates
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Buprenorphine
  • cocaine
  • 'Extacy'(MDMA)
  • K2-Spice
  • Marijuana
  • methadone
  • Methamphetamine
  • Extended Opiates/Opioids
  • propoxyphene
  • Opiates

Drugs that will test positive for Opiates:
  • Codeine
  • Heroin
  • Morphine
  • Dehydrocodeine
  • Opium/PST/Laudenum/Paregoric

What does 'Extended Opiates/Opioids' refer to?
Semi-synthetic Opiates/opioids like Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Oxymorphone, Hydromorphone.

Detection Period and Cut-off Levels
DrugAmphetamineBarbiturateBenzodiazepinesCocaineMarijuana(TCH)MethamphetamineMethadoneOpiatesPhecyclidinePropoxypheneExtended OpioidsMDMA
Cut-Off Level1,000 ng/Ml300 ng/ml300 ng/ml300 ng/ml50 ng/ml1,000 ng/ml300 ng/ml2,000 ng/ml25 ng/ml300 ng/ml2000 ng/ml250 ng/ml
Detection Period1‐4 days1‐7 days1‐4 days1‐28 days1‐4 days1‐4 days1‐4* days1‐4 days1‐4 days1‐4 days1‐4 days1‐2 days

*It should be noted that with methadone, 1-4 days should only be used as a measurement for someone that doesn't take methadone regularly, as people on maintenance would probably be detectable for a number of weeks due to the long half life.

How long will Buprenorphine/Subutext/Suboxone be detectable in my urine?
Generally, about 7 days, but this is dependent on a number of factors, including what dose you are on, how long you've been taking that dose, how you administer buprenorphine etc. For instance, someone who injects .25mcg of suboxone and quits for a week will probably pass a drug test, whereas someone who takes 8mg sublingually and quits for a week before the test might not have as good of a chance at passing.

Half-Life Charts
Opiate/OpioidHalf-life
morphine2-4 hours
oxycodone2.5 hours
Buprenorphine36-37 hours
Hydrocodone3.5 hours
Hydromorphone2.6 hours
Oxymorphone1.3 hours
Methadone22 hours
Fentanyl3.5 hours
tramadol6-7 hours
tapentadol4.5 hours
Levorphanol11-16 hours
Pethidine/Demerol3-5 hours
One should note that whenever one of these drugs is in an extended release formula, it is going to be detectable for longer.

Types of Employment Drug Testing
The most common type of testing program is pre-employment. Courts have consistently upheld the legality of requiring a pre-employment drug test as a condition of employment. If a firm plans to test current employees, the employer should have policies and procedures in place, including supervisorial training and steps to take if there is a positive test.

Post-employment testing can include random testing (for safety-sensitive positions), individualized suspicion testing, post-accident testing, and testing that is legally required in certain industries, such as Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements for truck drivers.

The first point for consideration for drug testing is the type of specimen to be collected for testing. The most common type of specimen is urine, followed closely by hair, saliva and breath testing; blood testing is seldom used for pre or post employment testing, except in cases of accidents or court order.

The second point for consideration is place of collection for employers is usually limited to at the employers place of business or off site at a designated collection point such as a laboratory, doctors office or hospital

The traditional remote site urine drug testing is done in a local lab such as Quest or Labcorp. Most employers utilize a standard five-panel test of "street drugs," consisting of marijuana (THC), cocaine, PCP, opiates (such as codeine and morphine) and amphetamines (including methamphetamine). Some employers use a 10-panel test, which includes prescription drugs that are legal to possess and use; employers can also test for blood alcohol levels. Most employers require an applicant to submit to the urine drug test within a specific period of time, so that a drug user does not wait until the drugs leave the system. Laboratories and collection sites also have methods to determine if the applicant has attempted to alter the test sample by drinking excessive water, contaminating the sample, or by using some sort of product that is sold in the hope it will mask drug use. Results are then sent to the employer usually within 24 hours if test is negative. If the test is positive the specimen is rechecked and given to a Medical Review Officer (MRO) for processing, which can add 2-4 days being reported.

Urine Testing on-site
The second type of urine drug testing is On-Site Drug testing. Instead of sending the applicant to a facility, we send a Drug Test Technician (DTT) to your site to perform the test. The process is the same, only the collection technique is different.

The real advantage of this type of testing is:

For the employer,

a) Employee does not have to leave company job-site
b) It’s a simple process with a lower total cost
c) Job applicants and employees can go to work immediately

For the employee,

a) Confidence among employees for the safety of the workplace
b) Increased morale
c) Productivity increases

Employer Testing/Point of Care
Point of care drug testing is when the employer utilizes a small kit to test the employee for the presence of drugs or alcohol at the place of business, jobsite or wherever the employee happens to be at the time. These kits provide fast and accurate results. Many employers find this a cost effective solution to their testing needs / requirements. With POC testing, we supply a device that screens for drugs of abuse and reports the results right on the spot within 10-15 minutes. These kits may not meet the requirements of certain state and federal requirements. We always recommend that if the results are positive, 1) the sample may be sent to the laboratory for confirmation or 2) the employee be brought to the nearest laboratory site with a chain of custody form for a confirmation test.

When results are positive
Testing labs have extensive procedures to reconfirm a positive test before reporting it to an employer. Most drug testing programs use the services of an independent physician called a medical review officer to review all test results. In the case of a positive result, the officer will normally contact the applicant to determine if there is a medical explanation. If the positive test is confirmed, the job applicant can usually pay for a retesting of the sample at a laboratory of their choice. Urine samples for all positive tests are retained for that purpose. Merely taking a new test is not helpful since the drugs may have left the person's system. Certified laboratories will stand behind their results and make expert witnesses available. All drug-testing results should be maintained on a confidential basis.

The most common type of testing program is pre-employment. Courts have consistently upheld the legality of requiring a pre-employment drug test as a condition of employment. If a firm plans to test current employees, the employer should have policies and procedures in place, including supervisorial training and steps to take if there is a positive test.

Post-employment testing can include random testing (for safety-sensitive positions), individualized suspicion testing, post-accident testing, and testing that is legally required in certain industries, such as Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements for truck drivers. -Source

Military Drug Testing
DoD labs test 60,000 urine samples each month. All active duty members must undergo a urinalysis at least once per year. Members of the Guard and Reserves must be tested at least once every two years.
After arrival at the lab, samples then undergo an initial immunoassay screening (using the Olympus AU-800 Automated Chemistry Analyzer). Those that test positive for the presence of drugs at this point undergo the same screen once again. Finally, those that come up positive during two screening tests are put through a much more specific gas chromatography/mass spectrometry test. This test can identify specific substances within the urine samples.

Even if a particular drug is detected, if the level is below a certain threshold, the test result is reported back to the commander as negative.

DoD labs are equipped to test for marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines, LSD, opiates (including morphine and heroin), barbiturates and PCP. But not all samples are tested for all of these drugs.

Every sample gets tested for marijuana, cocaine and amphetamines, including ecstasy. Tests for other drugs are done at random on different schedules for each lab. Some laboratories do test every sample for every drug.

Commanders can request samples be tested for steroids.
  • Random Testing. By regulation, each military member must be tested at least once per year. Reserve members must be tested at least once every two years. This is done by means of "random testing." Basically, a commander can order that either all or a random-selected sample of his/her unit be tested, at any time. Results of random testing can be used in court-martials (Under Article 1128a of the Uniform Code of Military Justice), article 15s (nonjudicial punishment), and involuntary discharges. This includes using the results to determine service characterization (honorable, general, or other-than-honorable). Members do not have the right to refuse random testing. However, commanders cannot order specific individuals to take a "random" test. Those selected must be truly "random."
  • Medical Testing. This is testing which is accomplished in compliance with any medical requirements. Urinalysis tests given to new recruits falls under this category. As with Random Testing, results can be used in court-martials, article 15s, and involuntary discharges, to include service characterization. Members do not have a right to refuse medical testing in the military.
  • Probable Cause. If a commander has probable cause that a person is under the influence of drugs, the commander can request a search authorization from the Installation Commander, who is authorized to issue "military search warrants" after consultation with the JAG. Again, results of urinalysis tests obtained through search authorizations can be used in court-martials, article 15s, and involuntary discharges, including service characterization. Members cannot refuse to provide a urine sample which has been authorized by a military search warrant.
  • Consent. If a commander does not have probable cause, the commander can ask the member for "consent to search." If the member grants consent, the results of the urinalysis may be used in court-martials, article 15s, and involuntary discharges to include service characterization. Under this procedure, members do not have to grant consent.
  • Commander Directed. If a member refuses to grant consent, and if the commander does not have enough evidence to warrant a probable-cause search warrant, the commander may order the member to give a urine sample anyway. However, commander-directed urinalysis results may not be used for court-martial or article 15 purposes. The results MAY be used as a reason for involuntary discharge, but MAY NOT be used to determine service characterization. In other words, the member can be discharged, but what kind of discharge he/she receives (honorable, general, other-than-honorable) depends upon his/her military record (WITHOUT using the urinalysis results).
-Source

Court Ordered Probation Drug Testing
Court-Ordered drug tests for probation vary, and are put in place based on the offense of the individual and the determination of the court. These can be five, nine or 10 panel tests. Often, they include an alcohol test. Common drugs tested for include propoxyphene, barbiturates, opiates, PCP, marijuana, amphetamines, cocaine and benzodiazepines. If a test comes back positive for any of these drugs, there is a confirmation process, and you will be always be given a chance to explain any prescription medications you are taking to our physician prior to the release of the results.

Some of the most common probation drug tests are:
  • 5 panel urine test
  • 5 Panel plus Alchohol Urine Test
  • 10 Panel urine test
  • 12 Panel urine test
  • 5 panel hair follicle test
-Source

Metabolites
Most drug tests are actually testing for the metabolite of the drug. For instance, heroin will show up as mono acetyl morphine, as that is what it is converted to. Same with Codeine. Because of this, a person taking a standard 5 panel drug test that only tests for opiates, would be able to take methadone, oxycodone, buprenorphine, and other opioids that are not converted to morphine. Similarly, lisdexamphetamine is metabolized into amphetamine, so it will test positive for amphetamines

Questions

I have to take a drug test early tomorrow morning. I won't bore you with the details of the situation, but basically I've put myself into a position where I really need it to be positive for buprenorphine, which I last took 8 days ago as of the time I take the test. I have used heroin very recently (I've been taking it all day & night) and cannot actually taken any bupe between now and the test without throwing myself into precipitated withdrawals.

So I physically possess the buprenorphine, I just cannot take it due to precipitated withdrawal risk. WIll mixing some subutex powder into my urine sample be detected by the tst and so come back as positive for bupe? If it helps the tests are individual strips (they look like they're made of paper or plastic or something) that have small red lines appear to denote a positive or negative sample, so they're nothing too high-tech or anything. What do you guys & gals think? Would this work?

l;dr cant take bupe, need to test for bupe, will adding bupe to the urine sample give me a positive test for it?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

Yes, it could, though it depends on whether the test analyzes levels. This link is really informative in regards to this issue. Basically, it will test positive, but you got to watch how much you put in, I mean, really dilute the hell out of it (I don't even know how you'd go about doing the math to find out how much to dilute it, but check out the thread).

If the test checks for adulteration, it will see however that the levels of buprenorphine are outrageously high and that there is no norbuprenorphine present. I wouldn't go throwing a whole two mg or something in there lol.

Will methylphenidate test positive for amphetamines or cocaine

No Methylphenidate is not an amphetamine and is not converted to amphetamine.

Will Propylhexadrine test positive for meth/amphetamine?

I've done a lot of research on this for personal reasons, but from what I've read, it can, and often does produce a false positive for meth/amphetamine, however you can have further testing done, which will rule it out as a false positive. I've heard the same in regards to Ephedrine and Pseudofed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.