• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Diazepam, Clonazepam & Magnesium....Safe?

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
I have been on Diazepam and Clonazepam for many many years and currently trying to come off Clonazepam very slowly. I read Magnesium helps muscle cramps, good for sleep, good for anxiety etc.....But would Magnesium react with my benzos as in making them weaker, stronger or is Magnesium a safe supplement to use whilst on benzos?

magnesium aint gonna do shit unless you have been living in an underground bunker for 5 years, you get plenty in your diet. It won't react or do much of anything. A slow taper is the only way to lessen the pain

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18799816
Behavioral studies have suggested an involvement of the glutamate pathway in the mechanism of action of anxiolytic drugs, including the NMDA receptor complex. It was shown that magnesium, an NMDA receptor inhibitor, exhibited anxiolytic-like activity in the elevated plus-maze test in mice. The purpose of the present study was to examine interaction between magnesium and benzodiazepine/GABA(A) receptors in producing anxiolytic-like activity. We examined behavior of mice treated with magnesium and benzodiazepine/GABA(A) receptor ligands, in the elevated plus maze. The anxiolytic-like effect of magnesium (20 mg/kg) was antagonized by flumazenil (10 mg/kg) (benzodiazepine receptor antagonist) while combined treatment with the non-effective doses of magnesium (10 mg/kg) and benzodiazepines (diazepam (0.5 mg/kg) or chlordiazepoxide (2 mg/kg)) produced synergistic interaction (increased time in open arms and number of open arm entries) in this test. The obtained data indicate that benzodiazepine receptors are involved in the anxiolytic-like effects of magnesium.
So I guess taking magnesium could potentiate benzos and I've read that it'll help with withdrawal symptoms.

Most people consume way too much calcium and not enough magnesium. Magnesium will help with cramps. Calcium makes the muscles contract while magnesium makes them relax. If you think you are low in potassium, drink organic coconut water. It has more potassium than a banana.

I take 1,200 mg of magnesium a day. It was prescribed 20 years ago by my cardiologist. I also take 10 mg of Valium a day (for muscle spasms) and 0.5 mg of Xanax. You'll know you are taking too much magnesium when you get diarrhea.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18799816

So I guess taking magnesium could potentiate benzos and I've read that it'll help with withdrawal symptoms.
Well, your NMDA system and GABA system both work together intrinsically, GABA inhibits neuronal excitability ( nerve cell death) and NMDA is what cause neuronal excitability.

Magnesium is used by your body to bind to the NMDA-receptors on the surface of your cell. This binding is inhibitory to NMDA, therefore could be considered and NMDA antagonist. This stops the flow of calcium into the neuron and inhibits it.

Benzos bind to the GABA-receptors and activate them. This causes the flow of chloride into the cell which also block the flow of calcium into the cell, causing inhibition.

Your body gets all the magnesium you need from your diet so no supplements necessary. These pics are great
7u9tpnw4r

http://postimg.org/image/7u9tpnw4r/
6w7pbz3vv

http://postimg.org/image/6w7pbz3vv/
fxramp84r

http://postimg.org/image/fxramp84r/

Excellent help as always! Reading on the net Magnesium Citrate is getting a lot of positive reviews for anxiety.......Interesting what Crackers said about bananas as reading up on them earlier and they are meant to help anxiety too!

Excellent help as always! Reading on the net Magnesium Citrate is getting a lot of positive reviews for anxiety.......Interesting what Crackers said about bananas as reading up on them earlier and they are meant to help anxiety too!
I was doing some research on magnesium for anxiety a while ago and iirc oral Bioavailability is pretty low and doing a footbath with magnesium chloride hexahydrite is the best roa.

I can also attest to that backed by bloodwork. When I've had blood taken during an anxiety attack/panic attack my potassium was generally the one chemistry value not within normal limits (always low).

From drugs.com Interaction Checker:

"A number of studies have reported that antacids can delay the gastrointestinal absorption and reduce the peak plasma concentration (Cmax) of some benzodiazepines, including clorazepate, chlordiazepoxide and diazepam, although the overall extent of absorption is generally not affected. The exact mechanism of interaction is unknown but may involve delayed gastric emptying or cation binding of the benzodiazepine. As a result, benzodiazepine onset of action may be delayed and clinical effects diminished. However, one study reported a significant increase in diazepam absorption during coadministration with aluminum hydroxide, and there was a marginal increase in the onset of sedative effect. Aluminum hydroxide also increased the Cmax and systemic exposure (AUC) of triazolam in 11 dialysis patients such that their drug levels reached into the range observed for the matched controls. In contrast, another study by the same group of investigators found no significant effect of aluminum hydroxide on temazepam absorption or Cmax in 11 patients with end-stage renal disease. A multi-dose study also failed to find an effect of antacids on the steady-state levels of N-desmethyldiazepam, the active metabolite of clorazepate, although an acidic environment is thought to be necessary for the rapid conversion. Based on available data, the clinical significance of this interaction appears to be minor. As a precaution, patients may want to consider separating the administration times of benzodiazepines and antacids or oral medications that contain antacids (e.g., didanosine buffered tablets or pediatric oral solution) by 2 to 3 hours."

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=464-0,475-0,703-0,1511-0,1516-0,1507-9825,646-5790,2329-16534&types[]=major&types[]=minor&types[]=moderate&types[]=food&types[]=therapeutic_duplication&professional=1

Thank's Jason, I have a feeling the OP, from May of 2016, got a handle on his supplements.

NB: magnesium supplements aren't identical to magnesium-containing antacids, usually.

Also, too much magnesium will give you the shits.

-> Archive