• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Private Investigator Career I'm going to school to become a professional Private Eye

olympic smoker

Bluelighter
Yes I'm serious my friends. I plan on opening my own offices with employees. I'll invest in the latest technological spy equipment, gear & gadgets hidden cameras, listening & recording devices - anything to implimant my business. I will have attented PrivateinvestigatorEDU College or some other institution like that. I live in Canada so I may have to travel abroad to complete my training. It'll be beneficial visiting other countries to pick up new & different schemes. That's not to say that Canada dosent posses some fine establishments themselves. Canada also has slacker laws then most other countries. You can get away with more shit up here than you can say in Texas or in China/Japan. I have all sorts of ideas on what types of servies we're gonna specialize in. I'm currently just doing a little reading on the net about the whole system of PI's. For example. Wat can they get away with? What can they not do? How potentially dangerous could it get? Will I have to learn martial art moves so I can defend myself? What about carrying a gun? (Licensed one of course) Maybe mace/bear spray.
I hope you don't think I'm trying to be pretentious when I tell you that it's very important that I'm able to help people. Maybe these people have no where else to turn to for help. There has to be somebody that they can trust to protect them. A company dedicated to resolving life's predicaments.
If somebody is afraid to walk into their house late at night after getting off their graveyard shift - then we're there to accompany them all the way. Help them inside, check locked windows & doors, make sure a boogeyman is not crouching underneath the bed. The young hostess who's positive a peeping tom has her in his sights. Sure call the cops...make a report & they'll do a few drive-bys..but the Private Dick that you've hired will not only have his partner parked down the block watching with night vision cameras...but He'll also place tiny motion sensors all over the outdoor & indoor. And he'll be watching the monitors closely. Now that's comfortably safe.
A friend of mine, and this is a true story! Not every night, but once in awhile. He would swear up & down that someone had been inside his house while he was out. He was absolutely positive that people, unbeknownst to him, would sneak inside his house & just snoop around. Be cause they never stole anything. He couldn't figure it out. Why were they doping that? WTF did they want? He could tell things had been moved around. Things were not where they used to be. A bowl left inexplicably in the freezer. Contents in the fridge looked displaced. Clothes in drawers moved around. Cats on the outside when he always let them indoors at night. A book shelf slightly amiss. Little things like that. Who's doing that? & why?..A Private eye could help.
What about the young mother who's working 3 jobs & can't walk her twins back & forth to school. She needs a surveillance team nonchalantly watching her kids just incase her nutjob ex husband is planning on kidnapping them. Or how about Mildred... she got down & thanked God for the secret pen camera we installed on her Granny's dresser. After Grandma would appear with mysterious bruises on her arms & back, their new black, overweight healthcare worker claimed Na Na was only clumsy. Pen Cam revealed a shocking truth.: a 97 year old elderly lady was being abused, a serious breach of trust.
Same goes for nanny cam protection. LET US COME INTO YER HOME & SECURE THE LIVES OF YER BABIES in case nanny turns into susan smith.
Cheating husband...Unfaithful wife? The bread & butter of my outfit will probably be cheating spouses survalience/set up/caught in the act & pics to prove it. Have someone followed to see if he or she is being deceitful.
We verify employees' claims, such as workers' compensation claims. Has somebody been poisoning the pets in the neighborhood?. Let our team catch the monster who'd do that. 8) Conduct background checks or searches of potential lovers, business partners or companies;) help research a crime, wrongdoing or threat :!find the cause of fires, property damage or accidents and / or the persons responsible for them :\ debug" your office or home :) •access up-to-date computer databases of public records
AQnd lastly...What do you think the name shud be?...thankssssssssssss
Question::::Would you hire a Private Investigation Firm to see if yer spouse cheats?
What other reasons do you think people might need the help of a trained & professional P.I.?
Lastly:Would you trust the private investigators as moral, law abiding folk. Or do you think they're just as crooked as the rest of the liars & thieves?[:

Last edited:
I would suggest that you get licensed and gain a reasonable amount of experience in the industry before you even think of trying to open up your own business.

well yes....in the beginning of my post right in the opening paragraph I wrote & this is a quote
" I will have attented PrivateinvestigatorEDU College or some other institution like that
So yes I understand how important it is to be professional & licensed

i think you have a very romanticised view of what this will be like.

there's a lot of 'essential complexity' running a business like that - the actual private-eyeing bit. but there's also a huge amount of 'accidental complexity' too related to running the business. what do you know about running a business? how will you attract customers? why should they choose you over somebody else? how will you price your services? how will you hire and manage employees, etc?

alasdair

well yes....in the beginning of my post right in the opening paragraph I wrote & this is a quote
" I will have attented PrivateinvestigatorEDU College or some other institution like that
So yes I understand how important it is to be professional & licensed

I suggested that you gain some experience in the industry before attempting to start your own business - not just get licensed. I agree that you most definitely have a romanticised view of what this will be like.

You do not know any of the regulations in your area and appear to have no idea as to the costs of such operations. Most of the examples you provided show that you lack basic knowledge in many areas eg. having a PI install motion sensors - completely different training and licensing is often required to undertake such works and to monitor the alarms of any premises. How is a mother working three jobs just to support herself going to pay for a "surveillance team" to walk her kids to school and back? Why would you need to travel to complete your training, and why would you think that any training you do in another country will be recognised once you get home? I could go on...

Get educated, licensed, and try to actually get some work in the industry first - that will be hard enough, believe me. If you succeed and gain some experience, you can then eventually start to look into going out on your own. At this point though, you're getting way too ahead of yourself and are wasting time better spent on working out an actual, realistic plan to get yourself started and employed.

Why don't you try being a legal process server (serving legal documents)?

Most states require a criminal investigator license, etc. & you could get good experience this way (investigating and finding people) and also get PAID... lol. Then after you're feeling pretty good about your qualifications, then.. start a business. Goodluck!

If you like helping people, why not consider nursing or something similar?

You can study in your own country and have the option of traveling abroad still.

I agree that running your own business would be a pain in the ass, especially if you are just starting out in the industry and would have to invest in all that equipment.

FYI, be careful selecting your clientele. There is an unsavoury element that will use your services for unscrupulous things, ie counterintel/blackmail jobs from OC.

Definately not worth it if you think it as an area in which you get some serious action. I used to be in security business and in military before the patrol car I drove got hit by IED so I have plenty of contacts on surveillance and private investigation.

99,9% of cases are cheating wifes or husbands on domestic jobs and checking if employees steal stuff from offices and warehouses in corporate jobs. Once in a year you get a missing kid job or similar or you get to survey who the heck gave out code for the latest program in development.

Get some good sitting muscles as most of your job consist of sitting in a car or similar hideout.

Edit: Most of the good ones are in their fourties or fifties as all of them are selfmade and have gathered training for their current jobs throughout their life while they have served under others or in military or security business or even as cops. I wouldn't trust a younger guy to be able to do anything other than mess things up more.

Last edited: