• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

June Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. Sober Summer Fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
another day began.

OCD is so hard to explain to someone that doesn't have it. I hate when people say "My OCD is I can't have dirty dishes in the sink. etc" I want to shake them and say "That is not OCD that is being tidy." If you have an irrational fear response if you do not do the dishes...so much so that you will go home from work, or drop everything else to ensure you do not feel that fear you may have OCD.

As long as I am learning and growing, I am happy....they say A truly smart man knows that he knows nothing.

I know a truly smart man and his name begins with Z ;)

Actually Id say you were more smart than wise, but I guess youd have to be one to be the other.

Hospital stay ruined my track record. They even gave me fentanyl instead of Oxanest as the Dr. who ordered the shot had not refreshed my records and thought that I still use 160mg oxycodone a day. I nearly OD'd at the hospital due the shot they gave to me.

Trying to justify that it wasn't my fault and instead of theirs as I truly thought they were about to give me just some few mgs of oxycodone instead of fentanyl. From now on I'll always ask what they are about to inject. Well atleast I was able to stay still during MRI.

Well atleast I know that I have another prolapsed disc but luckily it isn't that huge issue due to it's placement so after this acute phase I can keep on using Lyrica instead of opiates.

Moreaux, I can imagine you asking for some elbow grease from the clerks :)

A friend of mine who at the time studied psychology thought for a while that people have an area called timing belt on their brains as I happened to say that our mutual friend should have his timing belt checked and I meant his car with it.

Well I see I'm a little late on the nature talk.

either way I just got back from a little vacation I guess. Went to a friends ranch way out in East Texas. I'm from Dallas and a city boy for sure, but I love the country in small doses. No running water or another human for miles. The amount of stars I could see with just my eyes was incredible. Lots of firemarm therapy. .357, AR, 12 ga pump, .308, and a couple .22s. Lots of fun, lots of sun. And most importantly no heroin. little bit of weed though.

Do I get to call myself sober if I'm only smoking as opposed to putting needles in my arm?

Possibly the most important lesson I have learned in recovery has been that I need to define sobriety for myself. In my case, certain behaviors (lying, stealing, cheating on a partner, intentionally misleading or manipulating people) are considered a relapse. The use of recreational (not under a doctor's care who is aware of my medical history) benzos and opioids is considered a relapse. The use of cannabis in moderation, entheogens in moderation, and possibly the occassional stimulants like caffiene are not considered a relapse. You need to be honest with yourself in evaluating what you have had problems with and struggle with in terms of defining sobriety for you. If you had a problem with cannabis using cannabis probably should not be considered a part of or conducive to soberiety.

The black and white refrain from ALL drug lines of abstinence only programs are not conducive to my sobriety or recovery, and is a far to simplistic and narrow mindes approach to work for me. Everyone is different though, so you should reflect and see what makes the most sense for you. No one else can answer these questions for you. You already have all the answers, you just need to spend time reflecting on the evidence to realize what they are.

Well I see I'm a little late on the nature talk.

either way I just got back from a little vacation I guess. Went to a friends ranch way out in East Texas. I'm from Dallas and a city boy for sure, but I love the country in small doses. No running water or another human for miles. The amount of stars I could see with just my eyes was incredible. Lots of firemarm therapy. .357, AR, 12 ga pump, .308, and a couple .22s. Lots of fun, lots of sun. And most importantly no heroin. little bit of weed though.

Do I get to call myself sober if I'm only smoking as opposed to putting needles in my arm?
My answer would be no, because you aren't. I am not trying to be negative but honest. I had the same situation. Mine was booz which I decided to quit over 8 months ago but I still smoke the natural. My sober friend I have know 35,years told me I'm basically a dry. I just say I don't drink, period. Good luck, keep your chin up and surround yourself with the right people. Good luck with al!

abstinence and sobriety are two very different things hewn from the same cloth. They are not mutually exclusive either.

another day began.

OCD is so hard to explain to someone that doesn't have it. I hate when people say "My OCD is I can't have dirty dishes in the sink. etc" I want to shake them and say "That is not OCD that is being tidy." If you have an irrational fear response if you do not do the dishes...so much so that you will go home from work, or drop everything else to ensure you do not feel that fear you may have OCD.

As long as I am learning and growing, I am happy....they say A truly smart man knows that he knows nothing.
Same with the anaxiety attacks unless you have anaxiety attacks then others do not understand when they say "well just go do something" " get your mind off it" it's not that easy.
Well written, love what I read!

Awesome, although I have noticed that one of the biggest challanges in my recovery is dealing with the "I want it now" urge. Renunciation is something I am working really hard on, and my meditation practice is helping a lot with that.

Feeling rough but looking forward to no longer feeling this way. I keep getting really sick in the morning...but I know this will pass and I will be as strong as I once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.