• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

On anxiety medication, but want to take a psychedelic?

psychman71

Greenlighter
Hey so I might be going on some anxiety medication soon, and I know benzodiaphenes can greatly reduce the effects of LSD. Being on this medication is very important so I don't want to just jot go off it. What can I do to help truly experience the trip? Can I slowly stop taking the meds before I trip or what? Advice, tips, anything helps!

Pretty dangerous to just stop benzos once you've been doing them for awhile, seizures, and such. Plus you'll be in withdrawal. Really though you don't really want to use benzos as a treatment for anxiety for more than two to four weeks. It's a shit show otherwise....

If you have anxiety/panic issues you should not be taking psychedelic drugs. What Help?!?! wrote about benzos is true.

If you have anxiety/panic issues you should not be taking psychedelic drugs. What Help?!?! wrote about benzos is true.
That's not exactly true. You can still trip, it's just not the wisest decision. When I had bad aniexty problems I stopped tripping a lot but still tripped ocassionally and it could really help put things into perspective. Granted though I was already very experienced with psyches. You could just lower your dose of the benzos when your planning to trip. That way you won't WD and it shouldn't effect the trip as much! I personally don't find benzos to really dampen psyches that much though I know others do...

You might be going on some anxiety medication soon?

Sorry doesn't make sense with the title of the thread - either you are or aren't. If you are, then I would take your benzo dose as normal and the psyche should still work although you might lose some of the sparkle. It won't kill the trip completely.

If you aren't on them yet - then, just trip bruh.

I'm also confused... Either way, I don't do psychedelics anymore, but if I did I would either just skip my morning dose of my prescribed benzo or maybe half it and then just have it on hand to take later after you were through with the trip. Just because you take it later than you usually do doesn't mean you're going to automatically go into withdrawals. Just keep track of how you're feeling and don't get so fried that you forget to take your medication completely.

I wouldn't chance that sort of thing though with BZD WD, because not only is it possible to seize out but death is also a possibility especially since most psychedelics lower seizure threshold.... If your on Clonazepam it might be doable because of the longer HL but alprazolam it wouldn't.

I've never heard of psychedelics lowering the seizure threshold... Links? Other than that, I'm well aware of the dangers of stopping benzos. I've been taking 2mgs of Xanax daily for probably 4 years now. But either way, you're gonna start having other symptoms from stopping benzos like restlessness, anxiety, agitation etc. way before you would be in risk of seizures. It's not like you would be feeling fine one minute and then all of the sudden seizing, hence why I said to just keep the benzos on hand and don't get so fried that you don't know what you're doing. Although not recently I've gone a day without my medication, and while it wasn't exactly comfortable I didn't have a seizure or anything. Just my anxiety came back and I couldn't sleep.

Last edited:
It's simply not safe to do. To much risk. Why risk something like that? Give me a minute and I'll try grab some links.

Thanks everyone for all the replies, some were very helpful!

To address some questions:
You might be going on some anxiety medication soon?

If you aren't on them yet - then, just trip bruh.
I had a Dr. appt and they said the meds are a possibility but i have another appt soon where they will be making a final decision, so I am just taking precaution.

thanks for the help, it was useful

I hear benzos are really bad to get dependent on in the first place then you have to bare in mind that some of the best psychedelic experiences happen when you are at the mercy of the trip so taking aspects of it away whether intentional or not can diminish the trip greatly which can render the whole experience void of any of the significant feelings and experiences that come along with tripping in the first place. The thing is, benzos are used to reduce a psychedelic experience so you already taking them for your own personal reasons doesn't make a difference as to whether they will affect your trip because they simply will affect your experience whether it's completely or greatly or even moderately.

You are best either finding a way to come off benzos in the first place as they are dangerous to mess around with when you just come off cold turkey or don't take psychedelics at all because from what I've read and the evidence suggesting benzos as trip killers just makes me think that you taking psychedelics will be pointless. If you can swap your medication then at least you will have less dangers coming off them depending on which ones you take. If you need them then take them, it's not worth endangering your health just to trip not unless your Aldous Huxley on your last breath.

Be safe :)

I'd recommend to the op to only take benzos as needed for anxiety so you don't develop a physical dependence. I wish I had done that from the get go. I guess hindsight is 20/20. Now I've been taking them daily for probably 4 years now and am looking at a potentially long taper if I ever want to get off them.

Yeah I'm not necessarily looking to get on them, its more of thats what my doctor might being prescribing me, and I would like to take psychedelics but i don't want it to be pointless. Maybe i will try it out and if it works, it works. If it does't, it'll be fine.

thanks for all the responses!

I hear benzos are really bad to get dependent on in the first place then you have to bare in mind that some of the best psychedelic experiences happen when you are at the mercy of the trip so taking aspects of it away whether intentional or not can diminish the trip greatly which can render the whole experience void of any of the significant feelings and experiences that come along with tripping in the first place. The thing is, benzos are used to reduce a psychedelic experience so you already taking them for your own personal reasons doesn't make a difference as to whether they will affect your trip because they simply will affect your experience whether it's completely or greatly or even moderately.

You are best either finding a way to come off benzos in the first place as they are dangerous to mess around with when you just come off cold turkey or don't take psychedelics at all because from what I've read and the evidence suggesting benzos as trip killers just makes me think that you taking psychedelics will be pointless. If you can swap your medication then at least you will have less dangers coming off them depending on which ones you take. If you need them then take them, it's not worth endangering your health just to trip not unless your Aldous Huxley on your last breath.

Be safe :)

benzos do have the ability to dull out a trip for some, they can smooth out the edges for others. Its certainly not pointless and you can still have powerful experiences on benzos. I don't really take benzos anymore, as i used to be dependent. However, I take phenibut almost every time I trip either early on or in the later stages/comedown. Its kind of a must have on hand for me, because I am anxiety prone, but more the physical variety. When I was benzo dependent, they had little to no effect on the trip besides canceling out some anxiety. benzos affect gaba A and have no impact on serotonin so they don't have the mechanism required to completely kill a trip. It depends of the person, but generally, they make the trip more manageable by easing anxiety. It is true tho, that if you are anxiety prone you should be careful with psychedelics. not a given that you don't have the capacity to experiment either. it can go either way, but use extra precautions with dosages, set and setting, etc.

Nutty is pretty on point, if you need to take a benzo here or there, that is fine. Just don't take them everyday. Once or twice a week is ok but benzo withdrawal is pure hell if you are taking them everyday. you will wish you were dead. It is one of the most horrible things a mind can experience. You can also create permanent anxiety issues for yourself and/or aggravate your anxiety to the extreme. Not something to be taken lightly. Still slightly confused about whether you are taking them daily or not, but please consider the warnings people are giving you. most likely they will try SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclics, etc before using benzos. It should be noted that SNRIs can have a terrible withdrawal too. Effexor withdrawal is on par with benzos, some consider it worse. They are pretty apprehensive these days about handing benzos out and rightly so. They don't seem to mind handing out SSRIs and SNRIs but they have their own risks as well. Benzos are really only good for short term, or intermittent use.

Last edited:
Yeah that's how I feel about them, Jammerin! If anything a small dose of benzos beforehand if I'm feeling a bit edgy really just smooths out the edges for me and actually allows me to trip harder due to having no fear. I'm start smoking cannabinoidsor weed like crazy then too if I have them. Really though it's just nice to have them on hand. Just knowing their there is enough to dispel anxiety for me!