• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Overwatch

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
So, Overwatch is finally out! PogChamp

I wasn't lucky enough to get into the beta, so I'm just checking it out for the first time now... I really suck at FPS games (who am I kidding, I suck at games in general), but still... it's a Blizzard game.

Almost every hero feels really satisfying and compelling to play. Each one seems to have its own distinct flavor, which encourages a unique playstyle. There are a number of heroes with awesome movement abilities. Genji and Lucio have some parkour-type stuff going on, Tracer can teleport short distances, and Widowmaker has a grappling hook! I haven't even tried all the heroes, so I'm probably missing something. The weapons in some stylized shooters end up feeling a bit like nerf guns, but the handling / sound design / animation make the weapons feel powerful in Overwatch.

Can't really say if the game has lasting appeal for me yet, obviously, but so far I'm having fun. Anyone else playing?

I've been out of the gaming scene for some time (travel and other commitments)

I have always been a massive supporter of Blizzard games and did have a serious Starcraft, Diablo and eventually WoW addiction when I was younger. So of course I was intrigued when I learned Blizzard was developing their first First Person Shooter (If you don't count the cancelled Starcraft Ghost). I haven't played the game but I've been watching a lot of game-play and reviews and it looks like a game that I could have fun with.

I have over 500 hours of Team Fortress 2 clocked up on steam and I can't help but notice the incredible similarities between the two games. But that's not surprising really as Blizzard is known for taking other idea's to polish and perfect into their own games and it's for this reason that I'm considering checking it out. I love TF2 and still play it on occasion even after 9 years. This is helped with the continued mod support (something which overwatch currently lacks but may change) and Valve's continued additions to the game.

I'm not sure about paying $89.95 AUD for it yet and I might wait for a while, but otherwise I'm interested because of the team based mechanics. TF2 was phenomenal in this regard and Overwatch looks similar.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about paying $89.95 AUD for it yet and I might wait for a while, but otherwise I'm interested because of the team based mechanics. TF2 was phenomenal in this regard and Overwatch looks similar.

You only have to pay $70 AUD for the base edition, I think. The Origins Edition is $90 AUD, which comes with a few silly extras. Still not a small chunk of change, and overcosted relative to American pricing according to the current exchange rate. :\

Team based mechanics are indeed a crucial element of Overwatch. I never really got into MOBAs like League of Legends, but it has a bit of that flavor for me. Characters coordinating their unique abilities to take control of enemy territory, basically.

You only have to pay $70 AUD for the base edition, I think. The Origins Edition is $90 AUD, which comes with a few silly extras. Still not a small chunk of change, and overcosted relative to American pricing according to the current exchange rate. :\

Ahh you're right. Dammit Blizzard.. when you goto purchase the game through the b.net launcher it takes you directly to the Origins version with big bold 'Buy' letters. Then in very small print down the bottom of the screen it has 'Overwatch also available for purchase' which is $69.95'. I'm not a fan of these marketing tactics. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

Team based mechanics are indeed a crucial element of Overwatch. I never really got into MOBAs like League of Legends, but it has a bit of that flavor for me. Characters coordinating their unique abilities to take control of enemy territory, basically.

Yeah. I've been watching more videos over the weekend and some reviews. I honestly think I will get this soon.. I'm surprised by the amount of people in the video reviews not realizing that you must switch classes continuously depending on the make-up of the other team and which classes are holding certain choke-points. This was a given in Team Fortress 2.. but it seems a lot of people think they can just play one class the entire game. Might be a run-off effect of too many games like CoD where people expect to be-able to win the match on their own.

Alright.

I bought the game today and have just spent the last 3 straight hours playing. I have not had this much fun in a multiplayer since 2007 when Team Fortress 2 was released. There is just so much to learn with classes and strategy. I've only played through a handful of classes so far but I already have a couple of favorites, the polish on this is phenomenal but I expected nothing less with Blizzard. I'm still getting into the rhythm of learning the maps, classes and chokepoints but so far I'm really enjoying it and can see myself playing this alot.

The only concern I have at the moment is there's a couple of classes I feel 'guilty' about playing and that suggests to me there's a minor imbalance here or im just playing against players that have yet to work out proper counter-attacks. For example I can pretty much crush as offensive or defensive with Bastion - He seems like the Heavy equivalent from TF2, it's easy and that makes it boring so i'm trying to avoid using him.

Solider 76 is probably my favourite at the moment until I learn a few more of the trickier classes, if you have experience with arena shooters like the old UT or Q3A you can really dominate with him especially with the self heal.

Alright.

I bought the game today and have just spent the last 3 straight hours playing. I have not had this much fun in a multiplayer since 2007 when Team Fortress 2 was released. There is just so much to learn with classes and strategy. I've only played through a handful of classes so far but I already have a couple of favorites, the polish on this is phenomenal but I expected nothing less with Blizzard. I'm still getting into the rhythm of learning the maps, classes and chokepoints but so far I'm really enjoying it and can see myself playing this alot.

The only concern I have at the moment is there's a couple of classes I feel 'guilty' about playing and that suggests to me there's a minor imbalance here or im just playing against players that have yet to work out proper counter-attacks. For example I can pretty much crush as offensive or defensive with Bastion - He seems like the Heavy equivalent from TF2, it's easy and that makes it boring so i'm trying to avoid using him.

Solider 76 is probably my favourite at the moment until I learn a few more of the trickier classes, if you have experience with arena shooters like the old UT or Q3A you can really dominate with him especially with the self heal.
each class, hows a counter class(es), so if you use a class that is OP, it is up to the enemy to switch to effectively counter you.

getting really good at pushing objectives with reinheart. as long as i have a healer and a fighter, we gonna crush

anyone playing on xboxone?

Two legendary skins so far. I'm so stoked I got one for Solider 76 as this seems to be the class I play the most for both offensive and defensive. You can really dominate if you know what you're doing.

The match-making is becoming more challenging as I approach the early 20's, but I'm learning more about every class and their tactics as I go along. It's been a long ass time that a game as been able to hold my attention in such successive amounts as this one has. I'm finding Genji to be a ton of fun to play. Once you get the angle of you're class and their abilities down, you can really wreck havoc.

have been following this game since last year, I was hoping that it would be F2P :\ would buy it if I had the money but unfortunately I spend everything on drugs lol.
Looks dope tho.

have been following this game since last year, I was hoping that it would be F2P :\ would buy it if I had the money but unfortunately I spend everything on drugs lol.
Looks dope tho.
F2P = loads of hackers.

I'd never play another F2P game. Fuckers

Blizzard released a patch today introducing Competitive Play mode. - I don't think I will bother since most of the time I'm placed on US servers and my latency is completely shot. But hopefully this means I can play quick play more casually without having to deal with the ultra-competitive people.

Personally I love being assigned a rank in multiplayer games. I'm still a bit nervous about going into competitive though. I think I'll fool around in Quick Play just a little bit more, until I'm feeling more confident in my skills.

Personally I love being assigned a rank in multiplayer games. I'm still a bit nervous about going into competitive though. I think I'll fool around in Quick Play just a little bit more, until I'm feeling more confident in my skills.

I've been following some threads on competitive, there seems to be a lot of issues with people been penalized for their team members leaving.. which is casuing a lot of frustration considering how difficult it is to rank up. Even a win doesn't guarantee you will move even 1/3 in rank. But it's just as easy to lose 1/2 a rank or an entire rank from losing, especially so if team members are leaving mid-game as if effects the entire team.

I think if I do consider it I will wait for Blizzard to fine-tune the mode's penalty and match-making system.

As of the moment, Junkrat is my favorite class. I just have so much fun trapping and blowing people up.. using the remote bomb to rocket jump onto ledges and escape battles gives a major advantage when you get it's fluidity down. The trap helps me counter almost every class except Pharrah.

Major patch on the PTR: New support hero 'Ana' and significant changes to classes.

Wish I had the money to play games like this, or No Man's Sky.. :(

Although, not much of a FPS guy, but still I would give it a try - Blizzard fan.. There is an interesting story behind the origin, Blizzard scrapped another game that served as the inspiration for this one. Well they don't admit that, but there are some suspicious arguments for it.

The Titan project right?

I remember back when I was still into WoW during the first expansion reading about the lead designer moving to work on another MMO project for Blizzard. And then nothing ever happened. I've been out of the MMO scene since 2010 so I don't know how popular those games continue to be these days. I had unlimited time back then which is the only reason I was able to get so deep into the genre but these days I don't have the same amount of time..

I'm personally enjoying Overwatch, it has the same level of polish I would expect from a Blizzard game. I think the ranking system for competitive needs a major re-work and Blizzard has admitted this themselves. I'm not much into the competitive side so it doesn't bother me a whole lot.. I just wish there was some more incentive to win beyond earning a rank. The games can be fun but many often blur into one another after enough time.. and there is literally no reward besides the satisfaction of winning. That's fine for a while but after 80+ hours there needs to be more..

They seem pretty damn committed to the game considering it's a whole new direction for them so I expect they will continue to make adjustments as there needed.

Note: McCree is overpowered as hell now. If you have good hit-scanning and accuracy.. he's almost unstoppable. I don't think it will last long, so i'll enjoy it until Blizzard nerfs him again.

Last edited:
Major patch on the PTR: New support hero 'Ana' and significant changes to classes.

So far I really like Ana. It's fun to play a sniper / healer combination.

I just wish there was some more incentive to win beyond earning a rank. The games can be fun but many often blur into one another after enough time.. and there is literally no reward besides the satisfaction of winning.

There are the golden weapons, which you unlock by winning competitive games I believe. You know what would be pretty cool? A reward that gives you a custom spray -- you upload a .jpg, like you can in games like Counter Strike. Not that I really use "sprays" anyways.

There are the golden weapons, which you unlock by winning competitive games I believe.

Yeah. I think they will continue to add more, I hope they do just as some more incentive to 'win'. When you give people more incentive there more likely to work together. The problem at the moment is beyond earning a rank and the golden weapons (which is just too far out of reach for many people needing 300 competitive wins) there's not much reward.. which can be demotivating to people, which results in shittier games because people will just do whatever they want rather then play viable classes because winning means nothing.

But with that said, it will happen.. Blizzard will be working on this full-time especially as they want it to become a mainstream e-sports game.

Note: McCree is overpowered as hell now. If you have good hit-scanning and accuracy.. he's almost unstoppable. I don't think it will last long, so i'll enjoy it until Blizzard nerfs him again.

Haha... apparently so. I went 19:1 K/D with McCree defending on King's Row last night.

(Also, damn you Blizzard... I swear, the Widowmaker model gets showcased four out of five times on the menu screen. I can't help myself from absent-mindedly staring at her... curves. Just let me out of the menu and into the game, plz!)