• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Good jobs for a tattooed, drug-using hippy with no faith in society

EphemeralOutlet141

Bluelight Crew
Just as the title says. I live a very alternative lifestyle and I absolutely loathe the boring, oppressive environment a lot of jobs offer. I've mostly worked in warehouses (since they don't give a shit who you are), but I have a history of diagnosed back problems that prevent me from doing that anymore. I'm currently unemployed (thanks to the aforementioned back issues) and live by myself.

I've considered self-employment, but I have no idea how I would even get into that. I have customer service experience (although I hate people), photography experience, and a wealth of outdoor maintanence experience. I'm also decent with computers (as in using them, not fixing or repairing).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you had a company, would you hired a drug-using hippy with no faith in society who hates people?

Depends on the company.

Maybe one day I'll own a hotline where you can call one of said people and both complain about how much everything sucks.

Just as the title says. I live a very alternative lifestyle and I absolutely loathe the boring, oppressive environment a lot of jobs offer. I've mostly worked in warehouses (since they don't give a shit who you are), but I have a history of diagnosed back problems that prevent me from doing that anymore. I'm currently unemployed (thanks to the aforementioned back issues) and live by myself.

I've considered self-employment, but I have no idea how I would even get into that. I have customer service experience (although I hate people), photography experience, and a wealth of outdoor maintanence experience. I'm also decent with computers (as in using them, not fixing or repairing).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Internet is a wealth of opportunity, but it takes work.

Also, most self-employed people have a lot of experience in what they are offering/consulting in.

It's much better to be a master at something than a jack of all trades. Pays better too. :) It sounds like you first need to figure out what you want to do and start getting some experience.

Depends on the company.

Maybe one day I'll own a hotline where you can call one of said people and both complain about how much everything sucks.

Haha! I would definitely call your hotline.=D Seriously, maybe you have the next big idea there....

I would recommend, based on said person's description, looking into SCUBA Diving instruction etc.

There are no shortage of anti-social, shark-loving, tattoo-covered, drug users in the industry.

Dishwasher FTW. No responsibility other than being fast and you can be a total stoner and you often get a free lunch. I made it big and retired early but look back fondly on my hippie days as a dishwasher. I think you need a college degree now though. :p

^^^ You definitely do not require a college degree to wash dishes - not in USA or western Europe at least.

OP, I empathize with some of your feelings, but I was smart enough to not have my tattoos show if I wear long sleeves and a collar.

I have a college degree, and a few certifications, but I probably wouldn't have been able to accomplish that if I hadn't gotten a bunch of scholarships. I'm poor as shit, to this day. I honestly was eating better food, after my car accident when I was on disability. I cannot stand the masses, but have learned to tolerate them, through both forced interaction at works, and medication. Everyone who meets me, says to another coworker "Wow he is so helpful and friendly!" A big LOL to them. I am not thinking happy thoughts while I force a smile out to converse with them.

Getting through today's life and society is all about learning to act (and how poignant - since we idolize our actors and actresses)

If your tattoos are visible, even with long sleeved shirt with neck-collar, "good luck have fun", as it were.

I would recommend, based on said person's description, looking into SCUBA Diving instruction etc.

There are no shortage of anti-social, shark-loving, tattoo-covered, drug users in the industry.

This made me laugh quite literally. Go for scuba diving lessons and its some tattooed drug user who says things like "ok asshats in the water come on you useless fucks. Man these sharks are awesome, way better then these idiots" and its just always like that.

This course is awesome!

I recommend finding a dive center to do an internship out of, if you want to have an enjoyable job and life for a while

My career can wait, while I fully enjoy myself working for once

Yeah find something you like and get self employed. Usually anything in a factory doesn't have appearance restrictions and are usually equal employer. You can do anything in social work surprisingly. But you said you don't like people. I'm a human service worker and do 1 on 1 support for people with developmental disabilities and literally everyone is tatted pierced and has priors. Out group pre interview felt like a rehab reunion since everyone has had an addiction. And as long as your priors aren't for schedule 1narcotics I got certified through the Maryland board of nursing as a medication technition so I can handle pills and narcotics. :D best of luck to you!

Is there stuff in life you do like to do? Try to make money with that somehow. If that's not possible for whatever reason, look for jobs that associate with that type of work. E.g. if you'd like to be a SCUBA diver instructor, but your back can't handle the weight of the oxygen tank, see whether you can get a job at a SCUBA diving school as bartender or some type of building/gear maintenance or something. Then at least you would be working in an environment that revolves about something you resonate with.

I appreciate all the replies, even the sarcastic ones.

I really do enjoy psychology, but I just can't picture myself buckling down and doing 8 or so years of school for something that doesn't guarantee a job. At least not right now in my life. I want to enjoy myself. I wish becoming successful didn't cost all my free time and favorite hobbies (and possible appearance changes).

Why can't everything revolve around me :p In all seriousness I think I have a hard time dealing with change.

Forgive me for challenging you in your own thread, but within what context would you think that a psychology degree would not guarantee a job?

In all likelihood, you will have a job one day.

I can't really think of many better things to have on a CV than a psychology degree.

That's management level education in many fields.

Forgive me for challenging you in your own thread, but within what context would you think that a psychology degree would not guarantee a job?

In all likelihood, you will have a job one day.

I can't really think of many better things to have on a CV than a psychology degree.

That's management level education in many fields.

I have a few family members with psych degrees and they haven't been able to do much with them. It could be because of my area or they themselves are just unlucky/lazy/unintelligent. Just personal experience, didn't mean to make it sound that absolute.

I suppose what area of psychology you would major in could play a part

Behavioural psychology, in a broad sense, seems to be worth every penny

Something like temporal proximity for value decisions, on the other hand, may get you a back door into a philosophy degree

In Australia, a psychology degree is not that useful unless you get the grades to do honours, as you can't practice without a post-graduate qualification. I have met a few people who've used an undergraduate psychology degree as a pathway into a management career, but they've usually been lucky with other job and experience opportunities that have allowed them to work their way into that position. Still, one woman I know with an undergrad psych qualification ended up becoming a general manager of a national organisation, despite both very average grades and bright pink hair, so it's possible!

If you're good with computers, you could look into improving your tech skills and knowledge and getting into IT support from home. I know Apple run a program in some countries where some of their tech support workers are supported to work from home.