• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Reasons for living for an athiest?

petrichormadness51

Greenlighter
What comforts you in life when you're feeling like there isn't a reason to live? I can't look to god and none of my family relationships are strong and I feel my current relationship crumbling. I'm feeling really low today, any replies are welcome :/

-Elle

In dark times I have stayed alive in order to lessen other people's suffering. Surely there would be people who miss you or be upset by your death? Are there people you could help by staying alive? Even strangers? Even just other people here on Bluelight?

Are there things that bring or have brought you joy in life? Feeling life is not worth living is only temporary and you will feel joy again.

If I am feeling bad, I let my emotions out. If I want to cry, I cry. If I'm upset and want to just hit something, I punch a pillow. Ride your emotions out in a healthy way. In the mean time, I do activities that I enjoy whether that is listening to music, cycling, etc. Thinking of past memories that make me smile is something I do too since it helps me remember a time where I was having a good time. Even bad memories make me smile because I know I can get through a rough time and so the bad emotions I feel will go away over time.

I have recently went through an emotional roller coaster that started in October, so I know what you mean. For me I was hit by a car and a lot of things that I enjoyed in life were taken away from me for several months as I was recovering. Some of my relationships faded away and I've been spending the past few months developing new ones and making the ones that lasted stronger. Life for me has been looking bright the past few weeks. I've been lurking on this site for a long time but just decided to make an account when I saw your post. This site has been really helpful when I see that other people were able to get through really difficult times.

You can get through this!

I really appreciate the feed back. I usually lurk as well but I was losing myself there for a minute. I used to be straight edge, didn't even smoke cigarettes. I was in an abusive relationship that cost me my son to cps and after that, I've kind of just given up on myself. Started smoking marijuana and got turned on to ecstasy tabs which can really be anything and aren't good of you aren't testing what they are. They've also been known to deplete serotonin and I just went on a four day binge with the stuff. I think once I let my brain chemicals heal, I'll start feeling better. In the mean time, going to try to relax as much as I can. Again, I really appreciate the encouraging words.

Life is worth living for many reasons - but essentially you need to remember whatever issues you're currently facing are transient in nature (As is life) and they will pass.

You shouldn't live your life for the sake of other people or a God you don't believe in. Focus on YOU - what can you do to make yourself happier?

You're also right about the brain chemicals - if you've just had a 4 day binge on MDMA then you need to give yourself time to get better and move on to bigger and better things.

All the best <3

Having your son taken away is an terrible trauma. You need support. I am a mother and my heart breaks for you. You are incredibly strong and don't forget that. You got out of the relationship and now you need to go further: you need to find out why you got into it. (Usually there is childhood trauma.) Losing your child to CPS heaps shame upon shame and you need support to free yourself from that shame. This does not mean refusing to accept responsibility it means treating yourself with compassion as a human being. The whole CPS paradigm sets up so much self-loathing in a parent and I don't think this benefits anyone. Are you getting any kind of therapy? Do you think it is helping?

Please try hard not to turn this all against yourself. You can heal. The relationship with your son can be healed. Faith is a hard thing to have inside when you are feeling exhausted and defeated but it is essential. Don't lose faith in yourself.((<3))

^ this x 1000. Very beautifully said Herbavore and totally on point.

Having your son taken away is an terrible trauma. You need support. I am a mother and my heart breaks for you. You are incredibly strong and don't forget that. You got out of the relationship and now you need to go further: you need to find out why you got into it. (Usually there is childhood trauma.) Losing your child to CPS heaps shame upon shame and you need support to free yourself from that shame. This does not mean refusing to accept responsibility it means treating yourself with compassion as a human being. The whole CPS paradigm sets up so much self-loathing in a parent and I don't think this benefits anyone. Are you getting any kind of therapy? Do you think it is helping?

Please try hard not to turn this all against yourself. You can heal. The relationship with your son can be healed. Faith is a hard thing to have inside when you are feeling exhausted and defeated but it is essential. Don't lose faith in yourself.((<3))

What comforts you in life when you're feeling like there isn't a reason to live? I can't look to god and none of my family relationships are strong and I feel my current relationship crumbling. I'm feeling really low today, any replies are welcome :/

-Elle

I look to the love I have felt and shared. Not just people but with my dogs. I struggle each day to find a reason to live and my dogs are my best one. My little guy is sleeping at my side tonight as always. He's my great friend. I don't need a god to feel love. If there was a god I wouldn't respect it anyway. Good luck.

If you're anything serious about your atheism, you should have thousands of reasons you can only try to start getting out of you, knowing you'll never finish.

I know it's easy to assign logic to suicide, and it is certainly forgivable in some circumstances (already badly injured with no chance of survival etc) but that cold logic doesn't take into account the loved ones you have in your life, no matter how distant they may seem.

I assume your child is still alive, for instance. My rule is I can't do it if my parents are alive. If I had kids, I'd assign the same rule I think.

And plus, you have a badass screen name. I love the smell of natural petrichor. Cool word too. "Petrichor."

Fuck it, live for petrichor.

Edit: Madness isn't bad either, taken in minute doses. Live for that too.

-Elle

I live for and take great pleasure from my two dogs. Walking and playing and napping with them. I also play ukulele and listen to music. Hobbies are great distractions also. Ultimately however I don't really think there is a compelling reason to stay on this insane planet. I'm here so I make the best of it.

Goddamit I did it again. I posted in a thread where I already answered the OP. This must be what they mean when they talk about leading a double life.8(

First off i have to say that suicide is NEVER the answer its selfish and its a waste of human life which is a very precious thing. Ive lost friends to depression/suicide and they all thought that we would be better off without them or they wouldnt be missed but it leaves a lasting impression on those around you its just a very dark feeling knowing that someone you were close to was that depressed. So no matter how isolated you are or if you are having trouble with family or whatever there will always be someone that will never forget you and your spirit and always wish that things could have been different. And as for meaning of life as an Atheist i believe that an Atheists life is a much more beautiful and pure thing than that of a very religious persons because we recognize the importance of not only life but the continuation of life and cherish that instead of the afterlife There were humans long before there was religion we are here to live not to worry about what happens afterwards. Although its been proven to have active effects on the human brain when one is in an "enlightened state of mimd" i believe its all in the power of the mind not elsewhere. All i can say is to keep your head up and dont let it all bring you down. I did the whole fuck the world thing before and its a vicious cycle it leads nowhere. And dont let people get to you either your are not a bad person just because youve made bad decisions in the past you cant let a small speck of time in your life define who you are. The best thing to do is just surround yourself with people and always look towards the future dwelling hasnt ever helped anyone you cant change the past you can only make tomorrow better. And i agree that you should try to get into some sort if therapy and or rehab and search for the underlying issue youve already reached a pivitol step in moving your life forward just by recognizing and accepting the issue. Its nothing short of natural to self medicate or seek an escape in using so you cant beat yourself up.

Last edited:
I'd like to share a counterpoint to the above post as I strongly disagree. Suicide is not never the answer. No one knows what you are going through and IMO what is selfish is others telling you you are being selfish by taking care of yourself the way you decide is best for you. Often others would see you suffer so they do not have to and that's hardly love in my book. I'm not advocating suicide. It's your body, your life, your choice and I respect your rights as a free and capable human being. I trust that you know what is best for you. Much love to you.

I think suicide is a very personal decision, and in some cases appropriate. However, the decision to commit suicide must be well throughout out and planned, as I think acting on whim just to escape and immediate situation is cowardly and irrational.

As an atheist, I never committed suicide because what if there is nothing after this. I have lived through several 20 minute grand mal siezures and during those siezures I was existing in nothingness, and is was terrifying, and not something I want to go back to.

Well, I'm an aspiring artist, and I live for making art. You need a passion of some kind, IMO.

I think suicide is a very personal decision, and in some cases appropriate. However, the decision to commit suicide must be well throughout out and planned, as I think acting on whim just to escape and immediate situation is cowardly and irrational.

As an atheist, I never committed suicide because what if there is nothing after this. I have lived through several 20 minute grand mal siezures and during those siezures I was existing in nothingness, and is was terrifying, and not something I want to go back to.

However you were in nothingness with some part of your brain/mind intact. At death there is likely no brain or consciousness left. If that is incorrect and nothingness is terrifying then we are all in a lot of trouble because we all will die.

Nothingness sounds beautiful. There was nothingness when I OD'd years ago. Opening my eyes in the hospital and realizing I was alive was the part that fucking sucked.

I feel much like you. As im a non-believer as well but i wouldn't label myself an atheist. When im down and feel that nothing is worth living I try to learn something new and it reminds me that life is about gaining wisdom and knowledge either by choice or making mistakes. "Why do we fall down? To get back up". You can always find a purpose for the knowledge you know. Just be motivated to use it.

I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. I am still here and kicking. I was having a very bad week if I may make a huge understatement. I still feel like shit but I feel hopeful. My mind has been open to what is going on inside my brain and I'm working on it. It helps knowing the demon to be able to defeat it. I've started work again that keeps me busy, and I'm going to set some small goals so I can try to get on the right track. Again thank you so much to everyone here. I hope you're all feeling well.

-Elle