• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis addiction

Dracarys

Bluelighter
I've noticed that there are still people out there who don't believe, or don't want to believe that cannabis is addictive. Regardless of how much i love cannabis, i think it's wrong to deny the existence of something that is just very real, and a problem to many people. Beside, it's just wise not to indulge in over-excessive use of any drug, even cannabis. Well, just every once in a while maybe...but not everyday.

Just as the body has it's own system for pain-regulation with endorphins, it has a system for the regulation of stress with endocannabinoïds. And just as the body adjusts to the daily use of opiates, it will become adjusted to daily cannabis use. When daily intake of THC is interrupted, the body will all of a sudden lack a system for regulating stress. The result is a rebounce of stress related symptoms that would normally be supressed by THC. This could be insomnia, nausea, sweating, irritation, anger or rage, depression or feelings of dysphoria, loss of appetite, etc. It's hard to draw a line between physical and psychological symptoms here, because after all, the brain is an organ.

I'll preface this with "it's not for everyone", but if you or anyone is looking for support you can search for MA meetings in your area here:
https://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/

It's very much like NA or AA, but obviously tailored for pot heads instead of junkies or drunks.

In my opinion/experience, it's not addictive. Well, actually it kind of is, because I've used it longer than any other substance and I have no immediate plans of ever stopping using it...there's just no consequences when I cease using it, though, which makes me think that it's not addictive. 0 withdrawal symptoms, either psychological or physical, if you care to use that dichotomy. I realize that it may be different for other people, though, different physiologies react differently to THC (and all drugs for that matter)

In other words: if someone were to say that they were addicted to marijuana, I'd never say "no, that's impossible! Marijuana isn't addictive!" It's a psychoactive drug so of course it has the potential to be addictive...but I personally don't find it to be addictive. You kind of have to wonder about the trials and tribulations that are talked about in MA meetings, though...I cant imagine that the tales of woe are as extreme as they are in AA or NA meetings

I'm sure the frequency of extreme tales of woe are greater only because most NA drugs and alcohol are inherently more dangerous, but the actual tales themselves...you are missing out my man.

I think it's more of a routine as many ppl use cannabis daily. It can be stressful to change a routine. But I don't think the distress one goes through when they don't have cannabis equates to it being addictive.

However I did meet a girl in rehab who claimed to be their for pot. The entire facility thought she was a joke. I felt bad for her.

I think it's more of a routine as many ppl use cannabis daily. It can be stressful to change a routine. But I don't think the distress one goes through when they don't have cannabis equates to it being addictive.

However I did meet a girl in rehab who claimed to be their for pot. The entire facility thought she was a joke. I felt bad for her.

But the stress IS a sign of addiction. I've just explained that. There is scientific evidence that the stress, both physically as well as mentally, people go through are the result of a withdrawal mechanism. The brain is used to the daily intake of THC and so the body stops producing endocannabinoïds.

There was a drug for weight loss, called rimonabant. It was a cannabinoïd antagonist. So basically it produced these cannabis withdrawal symptoms, with the purpose of making people lose their appetite. Unexpectedly however, large numbers of people taking it, started committing suïcide. The urge to commit suïcide was a side-effect of this anti-cannabinoïd drug. That's how serious and real cannabis addiction is.

That's why I suggested MA instead of the others. There's a pretty bad dynamic even inside places like AA. If you aren't THIS big of a drunk, what the fuck are you doing here? It's just people's attitude you can't ever really get away from.

Can you imagine though, like what if, a guy went into an NA meeting and said, "I have a pot problem" and then everyone immediately is like "oh boy here we go", and then he goes on to say that he just killed his wife and it's because of pot. You'd probably be taken back, and question the fuck out of it wouldn't you? Well a similar case is currently in court.

I really don't believe this guy should go free just cause he claims he was high. He needs to be punished severely for his actions. Sure, maybe better wording on the edible packaging like the FDA does with alcohol, but that's it.

Regardless of how mentally fucked up this guy is, he claims that pot pushed him to do it. That in itself is enough definition for an addict IMO whether he smokes everyday or if that was his first time ever doing pot. It doesn't matter. He is an addict, and his story blows all of yours out of the water.

But the stress IS a sign of addiction. I've just explained that. There is scientific evidence that the stress, both physically as well as mentally, people go through are the result of a withdrawal mechanism. The brain is used to the daily intake of THC and so the body stops producing endocannabinoïds.

There was a drug for weight loss, called rimonabant. It was a cannabinoïd antagonist. So basically it produced these cannabis withdrawal symptoms, with the purpose of making people lose their appetite. Unexpectedly however, large numbers of people taking it, started committing suïcide. The urge to commit suïcide was a side-effect of this anti-cannabinoïd drug. That's how serious and real cannabis addiction is.

That's an interesting fact about that drug. Very interesting.

That's why I suggested MA instead of the others. There's a pretty bad dynamic even inside places like AA. If you aren't THIS big of a drunk, what the fuck are you doing here? It's just people's attitude you can't ever really get away from.

Can you imagine though, like what if, a guy went into an NA meeting and said, "I have a pot problem" and then everyone immediately is like "oh boy here we go", and then he goes on to say that he just killed his wife and it's because of pot. You'd probably be taken back, and question the fuck out of it wouldn't you? Well a similar case is currently in court.

I really don't believe this guy should go free just cause he claims he was high. He needs to be punished severely for his actions. Sure, maybe better wording on the edible packaging like the FDA does with alcohol, but that's it.

Regardless of how mentally fucked up this guy is, he claims that pot pushed him to do it. That in itself is enough definition for an addict IMO whether he smokes everyday or if that was his first time ever doing pot. It doesn't matter. He is an addict, and his story blows all of yours out of the water.

I don't wanna derail this conversation but that guy is just a nut case trying to get off. You don't actually believe that edible caused those reactions? That case is being used to attack the industry IMO.

I don't wanna derail this conversation but that guy is just a nut case trying to get off. You don't actually believe that edible caused those reactions? That case is being used to attack the industry IMO.
Drugs are powerful things brosef. The industry has been broken for almost a century. This ain't gonna do shit.

I think what people don't understand is that anything can be addictive. Ripping our your own fucking hair can be addictive. Saying that "it's not a drug" and that "it's not addictive" is 1. ignorant and proves an immense lack of education and knowledge about drugs and the human physiology and 2. a scapegoat that they're using to try and make themselves feel better about their behavior. However saying that you are not addicted to cannabis is a different story. Everyone reacts differently to drugs and everyone has their own DOC. Personally marijuana mind fucks me so much that it's hard for me to enjoy it more than very rarely. Benzos do nothing for me in the sense of a high therefore I don't really bother with them. Opiates...................................................game over.

What really is the problem with 'addiction' though if it isn't doing you any harm?

I think really we should just judge someone's drug use in how much physical and psychological and social harm its doing to them, regardless of how often they use it or how 'addictive' it is.

I think cannabis is habit forming and certainly psychologically addictive, but it's never caused any problems for me. I've had years of daily use followed by years of cold turkey abstinence on-and-off a couple of times now. I never had any issues when stopping. Never noticed much difference in any aspect of my health or life either (I do vape only though so no coughs or anything anyway). I just think cannabis is a great, if not THE, drug for daily use. It was just hella fun to toke up in the evening each night and blaze through weekends if there's no commitments to see to, and with seemingly no negatives to doing so (for me). I can always take it or leave it though. Really I think it can just be problematic for some with certain mental health issues.

I have to agree with the above statement. I'm a heroin addict. But really I am able to keep my shit together. I don't do insane amounts, or hang out in bad parts of cities or on the streets. I don't hang out with others who do drugs because no one knows I fo drugs. I have a good job two kids and a husband. The injecting and dangers of heroin are present but I like to think I am very careful as I have kept my tolerance Low and it doesn't take much to get me good. In fact most would laugh at the amount I use as its so small lol.

What really is the problem with 'addiction' though if it isn't doing you any harm?

Because that's not addiction?

I mean look, I understand that this post will be about as popular as the flu, but the textbook definition of an addiction is continuing a behaviour despite negative consequences. If there's no harm, that's not an addiction. If you go to work everyday and make money and your family is happy, no one says you are addicted to your job, if there are no bad consequences. If you eat carrots and salad every single meal and feel great, no one says you need to go to detox.

Not the greatest analogies ever, granted. But I just wanted to address the point. To be clear, I'm not saying MJ addiction is real or it isn't. I'm a drunk, so I know pretty well where underestimating addiction can lead someone. It's entirely possible, and I'm inclined to believe the people who say they are addicted in good faith.

But something that hypothetically doesn't harm you isn't an addiction. At worst, it's simply a habit.

Beside, it's just wise not to indulge in over-excessive use of any drug, even cannabis. Well, just every once in a while maybe...but not everyday.

Does that also apply in your thinking to caffeine? Coffee containing caffeine is the worlds most used psychoactive drug. I'm wondering if you think it's ok to use caffeine every day? Only once in a while?

I enjoy a couple of coffees every morning and I dont think that is any issue. Same with me having a vape of cannabis once or twice in the arvo or evening, I dont think that is really any issues either. Why do you think it's an issue if I do it every day?

I know many people who drink alcohol every day or smoke tobacco every day or take pharmaceutical pills every day. Who is to say I can't consume some cannabis every evening after work if I wont to, who is it hurting? What's the problem?

Does that also apply in your thinking to caffeine? Coffee containing caffeine is the worlds most used psychoactive drug. I'm wondering if you think it's ok to use caffeine every day? Only once in a while?

I enjoy a couple of coffees every morning and I dont think that is any issue. Same with me having a vape of cannabis once or twice in the arvo or evening, I dont think that is really any issues either. Why do you think it's an issue if I do it every day?

I know many people who drink alcohol every day or smoke tobacco every day or take pharmaceutical pills every day. Who is to say I can't consume some cannabis every evening after work if I wont to, who is it hurting? What's the problem?

I don't have an agenda man. No-one is saying that you can't do it. It's just that it's not completely without any harm or risk.... to yourself. Ofcourse cannabis is probably one of the safest drugs in the world. But you could become addicted to it. It could harm relationships and friendships, as it could make you lose interest in the world and make you introvert and withdrawn. It could affect your short term memory so thereby making you perform less well on school, work or study. So it could hurt your career. It could make you paranoïd or depressive, or even trigger a psychosis, if you're predispositioned to devellop such illnesses or afflictions.

Because that's not addiction?I mean look, I understand that this post will be about as popular as the flu, but the textbook definition of an addiction is continuing a behaviour despite negative consequences. If there's no harm, that's not an addiction. If you go to work everyday and make money and your family is happy, no one says you are addicted to your job, if there are no bad consequences. If you eat carrots and salad every single meal and feel great, no one says you need to go to detox.Not the greatest analogies ever, granted. But I just wanted to address the point. To be clear, I'm not saying MJ addiction is real or it isn't. I'm a drunk, so I know pretty well where underestimating addiction can lead someone. It's entirely possible, and I'm inclined to believe the people who say they are addicted in good faith.But something that hypothetically doesn't harm you isn't an addiction. At worst, it's simply a habit.
well you could be physically or psychologically dependant on a drug (which most would call an addiction) but not really be suffering any harms from that dependence, that's what I'm saying

I think there are really two types of addictions or at least two components to addiction. As a society, we lump them together.

A drug that is physically addictive is different than a drug that psychologically addictive. Drugs that are physically addictive are both. MJ is a drug that is only psychologically addictive.

A video game can be psychologically addictive. Same with fast food and sex.

I think there is a myth out there that MJ is not harmful. It can certainly be harmful but out of all the drugs on earth, it is very tame. Sure it's not great to smoke everyday but there are much worse things that you could be doing to yourself.

Alcohol and cigarettes are much worse for your body than MJ.

Coffee is more addictive than weed. Quitting cold turkey sucks. It's a harmless addiction, because caffeine isn't bad for you and it's available everywhere.

I wouldn't call weed a true addiction, having been through benzo and opiate withdrawal. As a daily habit it's mostly harmless. The only downside for me is I'm a little less sharp at my job the next day. I mostly get high on weekends now. Some of the most brilliant people I've worked with were daily smokers, so it's different for everyone.

I believe it is psychologically addictive, and for some people this is the toughest aspect, but I also believe it is mildly physically addictive, that is to say the withdrawal symptoms are not nearly as bad as say benzodiazapines, alcohol or opiates.

In my opinion.