• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Throwing out pennies?

Droppersneck

Ex-Bluelighter
So I just got back 3 cents with a receipt and I threw out the pennies bc I didn't want them to get in the washer, stuck in my seat, rusted in the cup holder etc. It feels wrong but I typically throw out small amounts of change. What are your thoughts?

Pennies cost more than a penny to produce so throw them anywhere you like.

They are annoying, I typically throw all change into a container then turn it into cash

I have left many pennies at the register.

However, when I had a no good, very bad dope habit finding old stashes of change ( including the hated pennies) saved me from an awful day of sickness...

in aus our smallest denimination is 5c. i like saving up change, i fill up a coin jar then exchange it at the bank for abt $50.

to me its like saving kief in a grinder or resin in a pipe.

I don't know where I read this but apparently the energy and time exercised by a person to pick a penny up off the ground earns less than the minimum wage, or something to my effect, anyway I'm totally indifferent towards them, don't take them as change if I can help it, many places don't even bother to take or ask for them, and we should've made the dime to smallest coinpiece a decade ago

I think it's ok for you to throw your penis away, droppy. If that's what you want.
I mean, the idea of you reproducing is dreadful.

Doesn't currency belong to the government? Don't be surprised if your public admission on this matter puts you on the FBI radar.

Seriously though, Australia phased out 1 and 2 cent pieces 20+ years ago.
People still seem to chant
"what's the colour of a two cent piece?
Dirty copper"
at the fuzz at football games and such though.
In that sense they had unquestionable value.

^ i like that like I like so many UK/aus/anglosphere-isms

I just throw them into a jar in my room. If I have a shitload on me I just feed them into the self checkouts. I don't understand the people that bring a jar of change to a cashier and expect them to count it out

^ i like that like I like so many UK/aus/anglosphere-isms
You ever been to Australia? I think there's plenty you'd like here.
There's plenty not to like also...but that's like anywhere.

We got the metric system. It's all divisible by 1000 and shit. I believe much of your US retail drug industry switched over long ago ;)
What's your take on that, i'm curious?

I became completely comfortable with the metric system by way of the drug business.

Everyone in the drug business knows their 2.2, 35, etc. tables like kiddies know their 1-10 tables lol.

But really basically every non-pleb-tier drug is measured in metrics, from micrograms to kilos.

The exception being weed, which is IMO exactly what I've implied.

Also, "eightballs" and "ounces" of coke, but seldom to never "qp's," so I'm talking at the non-retail level I guess for that.

We are more prepared for the change to metrics than any other usual Americans on the street tbh.

Interesting, yeah. I suppose i was thinking "grams" - but you guys are probably more likely to have a slang term for a G on street level, right?
Who ever said druggies don't move with the times?

yeah, definitely, it's a "g," a "gram," a "griz," etc.

in the decidedly non-retail world of LSD distribution it's often referred to as a "girr," "full," or "whole."
tbh I never heard "girr" for gram in other contexts but I don't get out much

but any any more of this belongs and DC and might actually make a worthwhile thread there.

Good point.
Aus currency goes as follows;

Coins: 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, $2
Notes: $5, $10, $20, $50, $100.

I dont bother picking up anything less than 20c, and i have a jar for chump change that i take to the bank and turn into "real money" when it gets full.
When i was younger (and poorer) i used to make a killing finding money in nightclubs.
For some reason, $2 coins are small and make very little sound when you drop one. I used to find them on the floor around the bar all night, when heading back to get water (cos i was speeding, not drunk).
Never paid to get in to that dump (on the guest list, baby), never bought drinks - but always came away with between $10 and $50 of found monies. Usually lots of $2 coins.
Whoever invented those weird things is a hero to me.
Or, was, when i was poor, high and lacking in self respect enough to do that on a night out.
If drunks wanna throw their money away, i was happy to retrieve it....then back to the dance floor.

^ wow
we have a $1 coin but it is almost practically never used
the only place it is generally encountered here anyway is that it is given out as change by NYC subway tokencard machines
and NYers usually rush off as fast as possible to spend it because it is a pain in the ass to keep around

an ok, one last comment before -->DC: "divide this somewhat round five or six figure number by 35" might be a halfway decent "cop test" stateside high-retail to mid-wholesale level anyway lol

Yeah, i got a dollar coin from a vending machine in the states years ago.
Never knew they existed!
I find $1 a pain in the ass (especially as they look so much like the higher denominations). When i've found $50 on the street, i know exactly what it is, long before i can read the text on it. US paper money looks cool, but for wastrels like me, colour-coordination of $ bills is very useful.
Especially as we have no tipping culture here. Give a cab driver $100 and he'll give you change for your fare....unless you say "keep the change", which i do on the rare occasion i use cash - and i like the driver. But tipping is non-obligatory; the reasons for which i wont go into, cos its another lame US vs Au pissing contest.
My sister does very well with getting tips from her wealthy clients - it works for her.
But for me, here, as a consumer the cost of goods/services require no extra thought, because tipping is totally optional (nobody thinks less of you for not tipping) and tax is already added to the price (and doesnt vary by state - it is a federal tax, and incorporated into every price you see). No need to do math as you pay your bill, work out additional state tax, fair tip, etc etc.
If it says $10, you pay $10.
Much more simple for the consumer.

I find [U.S.] $1 a pain in the ass (especially as they look so much like the higher denominations).

depending on how long ago you visited the States you may not even know
the original $100 bill (or, OK, at least original in my lifetime)
apart from the portraits and the "$100" on it
looked basically like every other bill, now they are fairly distinct if not brightly different colored like yours or pounds/Euros/most others
I came very close to giving one of these old style ones, which still circulate but rarely, to a bum fairly recently to our mutual shock and embarrassment.

There are tons of creative ways to dispose of pennies. You can dump a bag full in the tip jar at Starbucks. Or you can throw them in the middle of a busy street. Meth people talk about melting them and selling the copper. I used to throw them on the roof of my house because the copper kills roof mold.

I remember the first time i was in the states, if you paid with a $100 (a "hundgy" in colloquial aus speak) - or a $50 (over here lots of people call these "pineapples", cause they are like a yellow/brown/green mix of colours) - they'd hold it up to the light to check the watermark, that its legit. That was about 18 years ago.
More recently...my memory fails me as to what $100 bills look like. Probably because they were never too long in my possession...heh

new:

federalreservenoteonedollarf.jpeg

has various security features including the watermark, copper (or something) wire inside, etc.

old:

federalreservenote5dollarah.jpeg

has very few security features if any

there were several iterations between the two

also,

federalreservenoteonedollara.jpeg

quite rare, often kept for superstitious or sentimental value
clerks from other countries (here, stereotypically, arabs) sometimes don't realize they are an actual thing
$50 bills are fairly uncommon too unless you are in neighborhoods/areas where people usually cash their paychecks
if not from a check cashing store, here $100 bills are typically from the illicit drug business
and no doubt the two circulate frequently between
otherwise it's almost all $20 aka the "yuppie food stamp" gotten from ATMs
in yuppier parts of town a $100 bill is actually déclassé as it is suggestive of a lower class person who lacking a bank account cashes their checks; either that, or a drug dealer, or someone trying to impress strippers or whatever
actually in these parts of town paying cash is déclassé
i once saw a bar that said no cash accepted
a fucking bar
i'm not quite sure who the fuck would such a tend that bar
they probably also have the little meters in the bottles
but i digress

Last edited:
There are tons of creative ways to dispose of pennies. You can dump a bag full in the tip jar at Starbucks. Or you can throw them in the middle of a busy street. Meth people talk about melting them and selling the copper. I used to throw them on the roof of my house because the copper kills roof mold.
Similarly, i sometimes like to go to market stalls and other places that sell stuff, but dont have much cash in the register.
I know from my time as a cashier or whatever job handling money, it was often really appreciated if someone loaded you up with small change - rather than clearing out what coins you have by paying for something worth a couple of bucks with a $50.
I mean, it works here...especially 20 or 50c coins - but as i said, we phased out 1 and 2 cent pieces long ago.
Considering how worthless they are, it seems high time the US did the same.

Maybe El Presidente Trump could build his lousy wall with em?