• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

π–π stacking on benzenes with transition metals

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
Anybody know of a website that elucidates some of the potential transition metal pi-stacking complexes for benzenes?

Ever since reading how the sandwich-stacked chromium-tricarbonyl (eta6-coordination moiety substitution) of troparil doubled its binding strength, I have been wondering if it really isn't just an issue of asymmetrical volume of the otherwise planar arene/aryl. It'd be interesting to see what T-shaped or parrallel-displaced pi-stacked C3 modifications do to considerations of binding @ the DAT.

My other question is whether the pentamethyl interferes with the H5 of the C6H5 remaining places on the phenyl, whether the tricarbonyl stick out the same way to likewise interfere, and if so, if there aren't at least 2 free spaces then on the phenyl with the tri-substituion-stacked versus the penta-substitution-stacked.

Any good resources in this vein at all would be greatly appreciated.

You are going to have to dig through the chemical literature to read the studies looking at substituent effects on van der Waals interactions.

I don't understand what you mean in the 3rd paragraph of your post. When you say "the pentamethyl", what are you referring to?

If you are trying to figure out how much bulk tolerance there is in the aryl accepting part of the binding site, then the best approach is probably to look at the DAT crystal structure that was published in 2015.

I don't understand what you mean in the 3rd paragraph of your post. When you say "the pentamethyl", what are you referring to?

Ttwiek.jpg

(lol, random screen-capture image name was generated as "Ttwiek.jpg")

cf. 21b:

h5seF4.jpg

Nobody can even give other possible TM conformations for potential stacking in this way? Am I that far out into uncharted territory?

God damn that carbonyl complex looks fuck ugly. no WAY I'd let that in me. Metal carbonyls are nasty customers. Take nickel carbonyl for instance, toxic due to the nickel content AND the CO release in vivo. Extremely toxic stuff, so much so I'd never work with it in my lab. Fuck no.

God damn that carbonyl complex looks fuck ugly. no WAY I'd let that in me. Metal carbonyls are nasty customers. Take nickel carbonyl for instance, toxic due to the nickel content AND the CO release in vivo. Extremely toxic stuff, so much so I'd never work with it in my lab. Fuck no.

Well what I'm asking for is alternative transition metal pi stacking arrangements. Are you sure it isn't protected in vivo and excreted unchanged?