Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Your TV Show(s) and Discussion

Can someone tell me why Peaky Blinders is so amazing?? I hear people rave about it all the time, but it doesn't look like something I would like.

Do you like crime drama in general?

It's a period crime drama about a period little discussed but (IMO as an amateur historian) one of the most fascinating as the late modern world was just beginning to come into formation. It is heavily stylized, violent, has a contemporary soundtrack. Very charismatic and interesting characters.

The Expanse - This was a hidden gem. I had no idea what to expect.. just incredible. I actually made a thread for it some months ago in F&T. It's based on a series of novels.
Sounds promising. Will check it out!

Billions - I'm not sure why I like this show. I find the financial world and it's power interesting.. plus Paul Giamatti is excellent.
Definitely an amazing performance by Paul Giamatti.

Hannibal - I might be in a minority here but the artistic design behind this show was jaw dropping, it was so cleverly written and acted. Like watching a kaleidoscope of psycho-emotional exploration into the subconscious.
Great cast - esp. Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Haven't watched season 3 yet but will do asap.

Peaky Blinders - another one I need to watch ...so many high quality TV shows, so little time! 8o

...so many high quality TV shows, so little time! 8o

I know! It's a serious problem! As a serious TV person, I can't keep up with all the ones that I want to watch, which is why I prefer to "binge" seasons so I can keep the coherency of the narrative while watching 6-7 shows at once. Even Emily Nussbaum, the TV critic for The New Yorker, who does it for a living, has spoken of the difficulty of keeping up with all the quality TV out there. (I think it was her, if not, it was a critic for The Atlantic or another publication I read ... there are too many of those to keep up with, too.)

Great cast - esp. Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Haven't watched season 3 yet but will do asap.

Yeah, really. Mads Mikkelsen was mesmerizing as the cunning Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Everytime he was on screen I was completely engaged in the dialogue. I know a lot of people were disappointed in Season 3 because it started to become very art-house and complex, but for me this just added to the surrealism of everything that was going on. It may of been the reason the show was cancelled.. but I was personally very satisfied.

Can someone tell me why Peaky Blinders is so amazing?? I hear people rave about it all the time, but it doesn't look like something I would like.

For me personally it's the characters, particularly Cillian Murphy. He does an outstanding job at portraying an extremely intelligent and cunning crime boss that always displays a presence of control. I'm not sure if Tom Hardy will be making a re-appearance in the new season but he was also exceptional at his role.

i thought the name Peaky Blinders sounded rather lame its interesting Cillian Murphy - who looks quite feminine - plays a gangster. he was great as scarecrow in Batman Begins. The plot to the Black Mirror episode you mentioned sounds similar to Metropolis . I thought the X-mas special was the best episode of the series but what takes place in "The Entire History of You" is probably the most creepy realistic scenario. It saddens me that no one watches 'person of interest' been my favorite show for the past few years and is now cancelled.

I do love anything related to crime. I just don't know if I could get into something set in that time period.

i thought the name Peaky Blinders sounded rather lame its interesting Cillian Murphy - who looks quite feminine - plays a gangster. he was great as scarecrow in Batman Begins. The plot to the Black Mirror episode you mentioned sounds similar to Metropolis . I thought the X-mas special was the best episode of the series but what takes place in "The Entire History of You" is probably the most creepy realistic scenario. It saddens me that no one watches 'person of interest' been my favorite show for the past few years and is now cancelled.
I started watching "person of interest" solely because the "villian" from Lost is one of the stars. I should go back and watch some more of it. And Black Mirror was absolutely amazing, especially the Christmas special. I wish they'd make more episodes!

Billions - I'm not sure why I like this show. I find the financial world and it's power interesting.. plus Paul Giamatti is excellent.
that's a great show. paul giamatti is always excellent. the tension between the chuck, bobbie and wendy characters is great.

alasdair

I do love anything related to crime. I just don't know if I could get into something set in that time period.

trust me. give it a try.

some of the most fascinating stuff in there is how both like and unlike contemporary society it is.

i love period pieces though. of any period, really.

but if you love crime staff you've gotta check it out.

wasnt able to really get too into tv recently until I watched orphan black. just finished the third season and was pretty good. not as interested in season four bc most of my questions are answered already but ill give it a spin im sure.

ive tried to watch the first episode of peaky blinders a few times now and haven't finished it lol.

guess ill have to check out the expanse or the americans next. is the expanse on netflix or amazon?

wasnt able to really get too into tv recently until I watched orphan black. just finished the third season and was pretty good. not as interested in season four bc most of my questions are answered already but ill give it a spin im sure.

ive tried to watch the first episode of peaky blinders a few times now and haven't finished it lol.

guess ill have to check out the expanse or the americans next. is the expanse on netflix or amazon?

dude continue into s.4 there is more left
give peaky blinders a chance. it's a period piece and moody and idiosyncratic so it might take you a minute to get immersed
get there and you won't be sorry
idk if the expanse is on anything but if you have syfy right now the whole thing is free on demand (at least thru my cable co)

Found the expanse on exodus. Much better than genesis btw. Have a hard time getting into the first episodes and if I fail to be sucked in immediately, I either fall asleep or lose focus. ADD bro.

So after a few failed first episodes I am getting into Mr robot. Really digging it so far. Think USA puts out some decent programs that have easy accessibility but more impressed with this than something like suits, white collar, etc. Interesting main character and already reeled me in with 2 episodes. Just my style.

Gonna check out season 4 of orphan black but waiting for the wife to catch up. Still interested but I think novelty wears off after about 3 seasons. Glad they aren't going to stretch it forever and wrap things up with season 5. Damn good show imo

Like the period of peaky blinders so will def give it another shot. Just kinda had a few fails so far with it and I get turned off after attempting to watch the same thing repeatedly.

Peaky Blinders s3 espis 5 is lit. This was an amazing performance by Tom Hardy, prob best acting i've ever seen

This one's a gem. Created by Seth Rogen and the co-producer of Breaking Bad. About a crooked preacher with a special ability, a junkie vampire and a seriously tough chick.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5016504/videoplayer/vi838449433?ref_=vi_nxt_ap

Preacher-Season-2-Cast-Poster.jpg

the-best-character-on-preacher-was-living-in-his-moms-basement-before-being-cast.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWZ_g15tHYk

Warning, Triggering Content:

Last edited:
I would watch Peaky Blinders, but I can't understand a word anybody says. Which is odd, because I have English friends and have no trouble understanding them through their accents. Newcastlers and Scots aside; nobody outside of their region can umderstand them.

Speaking of Scottish accents, Outlander on Starz is a terrific show that continues to grow on me. It contains the only villain in history to suppalnt Vern Shillinger from Oz for most evil fuck of all time. Dude is fucking brutal.

Preacher is great. Still waiting to catch the finale, as Hurricane Irma knocked me out for a week and AMC's OnDemand service is slow to upload new episodes.

Also, Snowfall looks promising after one season. I respect shows that show patience and restraint when it comes to the payoff.

I wanted to watch Snowfall but was turned off by all the bad reviews. So you would recommend it then?

I wanted to watch Snowfall but was turned off by all the bad reviews. So you would recommend it then?

3-4 DHP has a great list of shows above in line with my liking. I was also an OZ fan with the O'reilly brothers. Mcmanus, vern and adibeezy.

Snowfall has some slow spots and lingers on some characters it probably shouldn't but try the pilot & episode #7 "Cracking" before giving up on it.