• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

May Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. LOVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think being clean really makes you hate cigs? Since I have been sober I hate cigs. They make me feel like crap everytime but yet I still smoke away.

Anyways congrats to everyone putting in the work to get clean. It couldn't be a better time especially if you went thru a long cold winter. Nice weather makes all the difference (for me anyways).

These meds make me feel really sick....and for some reason everything I drink and eat has a distinct nyquil flavor.

[MENTION=68855]Priest[/MENTION]TheyCalledHim, you asked about peoples' opinions regarding counting clean time...that's something I've been thinking about a lot. As anyone can see from my posts, I do indeed count days/weeks, etc. But I firmly think that there are counterproductive, even harmful effects of such counting.

The main reason I think counting clean time (at least a literal counting like I do) is harmful is because during early recovery it's all but assured that we're gonna slip. Racking clean time is hard for everyone, but it's especially hard for the people who need the most help: those of us in the first steps of changing our lives.

I feel like we need a metric for progress, but it needs to take into account the realities of recovery's ebbs and flows.

Say I've gotten 30 days clean. There's a big difference between slipping up by getting high once, vs. getting a hotel room and going on a five-day run. To my thinking, in early recovery, a *small* lapse so long as it's a *rare* event shouldn't reset the clock all the way to zero. As time goes on, it seems logical that the meaning of "rare" might change, getting stricter.

All this is to say that people in early recovery need encouragement, not shaming. I guess this whole post comes from my negative experience with NA, where dicksizing with clean time was just one of many ways that people were made to feel deficient and disappointing when they were most vulnerable.

Obviously, the hard part is that once we admit shades of grey, everything gets murky really fast. I can fully understand and respect classic arguments that there is no room for half-measures in recovery and that a slip is a slip. But at the end of the day, I think recovery is inherently murky. Counting time in some way does seem helpful. But a literalist, all-or-nothing clock seems counterproductive during early recovery...maybe even past then.

i'm in so much pain today. my broken ankle makes doing anything a complete pain in the ass since i cant put any weight on it. and my chronic pain which has been bad for months is even worse a week off opiates, which i anticipated but i just spent 30 minutes crying trying to get myself together and ready to leave the house while attempting to not do anything to amp up the pain im already having.
its a gorgeous day out here, sunny and warm, i am hoping after i get out of class around 3:30 i can spend some time in the sun. i really need to remind myself that this will pass because i am so overwhelmed today. :/

hang in there friend. Just believe that feeling pain now will give you a good yardstick to measure pleasure with. Eventually that pain will be gone, and obsessing about it now will just make it worse. Have you tried naproxen?

i cant take nsaids so naproxen is out. the pain wont actually be gone because i have chronic pain but it wont always be as intense as it is the last few days so i try to keep that in mind.
my day got a bit better after i got out and did the stuff and got some sunshine. i hope everyone else had good days too.

So sorry I was late about getting this one posted guys. I've been sick. :|

Lots of <3,

(and thanks to simco for starting last month's as well <3)

This thread is for anyone who wants to get or is staying sober.
Everyone is welcome to post in this thread.
Please adhere to the Bluelight User Agreement and Sober Living Forum Guidelines.

I love the title of this thread CH, seriously. This month is all about self compassion for me, so the theme of the thread could not be better.

And, while I know you are super popular and undoubtably very busy, when are we gonna chill with your buddy? ;)<3

Great work Simco!

It's very motivating to read through this thread - a lot of inspiration!

I am epically failing on the nicotine front, but I have 2 years with booze and 6 years with everything else, so I may have lost a minor battle but I feel like I am winning the war. I am going to be very diligent this week regarding cigarettes, and will transition 100% to the nicotine patch. I have done it before and will do it again.

Today is my moms birthday. I made here this little flower arrangement.
j7B9NiJ.jpg

It is zinnias, roses, amistad, and lavender. She loves the color orange.

Today I saw a hummingbird on my amistad bush. It was pretty damn awesome.

Congrats to everyone staying sober today. I love you all for loving me back.

Nice! That is soooooo pretty :)

When I was a kid our neighbors had this awesome garden out back. They were this sweet elderly couple, and I was a pretty cute kid, apparently, so they loved me. I would hope the fence all the time and steal their many different roses and birds of paradise in order to put into boquets and sell on the street for pocket money :D

Thanks compañero! Now, what I think is really cool is how I biked 60 miles this morning %)

I am finally starting to really feel healthy with myself again now that the methadone is getting out of my system! It amazes me how good getting off methadone feels and how comfortable my even slightly aggressive taper has been. So different from the propoganda NA and AA nazi types will make it out to be like. The ignorance and small mindedness in that program disgusts me sometumes, despite all the wonderful qualities it also offers. So sad how behind the times it has become. . .

Sixty? Wow! Is that on like a mountain bike or a motorcycle?

How many days off methadone are you, or are you tapering still?

12 days no opiates. Feelings are weird. And its spring and I wanna kiss everyone.

I'm not hating them there's just so many of them all at the same time.
Like my ex bf is in a coma on life support after an accident in Cuba and might die. Some pretty big feelings that I don't even know how to process. And then being in pain and bored cuz my ankle is fucked. And then being super happy cuz I caught feels for a new guy and that's kinda fun. And then and then and then.

I'm really used to being able to completely check out from the emotional reality of life and make decisions and such from a cold removed stand point.
Emotions are exhausting.

Sixty? Wow! Is that on like a mountain bike or a motorcycle?

How many days off methadone are you, or are you tapering still?

Bicycle, 30 miles from La Canada to Covina, there and back. I love to bike, obviously :)

I am at 6mg right now, down from 13mg three days ago. Gonna get some buprenorphine from my psychiatrists partner Thursday and I think I will just jump off then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.