Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Most Overrated Movies

alasdairm.

What I meant was that some movies are PURELY entertainment and this pisses me

isnt that why u watch movies, to be entertained? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
The definition of art is up to the observer...
What I mean is, just because the creator defines his\her creation as art, doesn't MAKE it art.

why not? there is no universal definition of art so a statement like "this is art" or "that is not art" discussed generally is, essentially, meaningless.

anybody incolved in the process can define their understanding of art. your comment seems to suggest that an artist's definition of one of their own works as "art" is invalid. that seems like nonsense to me.

it's art to him/her. it's not art to you. on some level, whether you like it or not, it's art.

if i shit in a bucket and say it's art, it's art.

alasdair

Last edited:
Almost every movie mentioned on here so far, I consider classics. I guess that makes me a boring cheesy half wit who knows nothing about movies. ET? Harry Potter? These are GREAT movies in my opinion.

Here, you can disagree with my most overateds............

Signs
The Deer Hunter

^^^^well, ok then...*disagrees with Deer Hunter* That movie's great!

What is beautiful or appealing is up to the individual. No?

indeed - and that definition still applies if the individual in question is the artist who created the work in the first place, doesn't it?

alasdair

Last edited:
cydonorb said:
What is beautiful or appealing is up to the individual. "

Well there goes Picasso's GUERNICA, the works of Goya, THE DEATH OF SATURN, allof Poe & the works of Rabelais. None of these works are beautiful

!

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

there is a scene in koyaanisqatsi where we see an atomic explosion - classic mushroom cloud. one of the most terrible images in the human sphere. even it has a strange beauty...

alasdair

AmorRoark said:
Who can disagree with Signs?

Although I do indeed think that Signs is slightly overrated...I must say your ridiculous hatred for the movies is unwarranted Amorroark. The movie is actually pretty scary in parts. You just didn't want to like it and had decided not to before you even walked in the theater. But despite your bashing on it as "not being scary" you managed to crush my hand for an hour and a half and jump 100 feet out of your seat every time something that was supposed to be scary happened. :p

^^^
I did dislike that movie. Just because I was scared doesn't mean I qualify it in the "good movie" catagory. I never ever liked it. I have my own mind Skywise... and I can speak for myself. Stop acting as if otherwise.

^^^^ To that Yeux, I only have to say...

"I did dislike that movie... I never ever liked it. I have my own mind [Yeux]... and I can speak for myself. Stop acting as if otherwise."
;)

....and about signs: i liked it, i thought it was scarry. its really challenging to do an "aliens attack the world" movie without it appearing cheezy i.e. independence day (i appologize for the shitty example, i cant think of another movie.) i thought it was a well done different approach.

*throws 2 cents in*

Just saw Anger Management. UTTER CRAP!

Seriously overrated for a movie with a pretty lame story line.

^^^ How can the movie be called "overrated" when it was slammed in every review I read?? I think the general consensus was that it was crap.

PS. Making comparisons between Hitler and the person you are debating with is a very clever way to win an argument. Bravo :p

Godwin's Law...

alasdair

Last edited:
In my opinion, if your going to do an alien movie.............make kick ass state of the art, yet cheesy effects(Independance Day) or make it good (Fire in the sky).

Signs sucked. Maybe I just had my expectations set too high.
I hated Signs, but loved The 6th Sense and Unbreakable.

Benefit: Sorry, but i guess when you come from different sides of the world, the reviews you read are going to be different.

Damn, I don't know what this long argument is about but it sure is boring to read. (I never saw the US)
Anyways, I thought Monty Python and the Holy Grail sucked @ss. I don't even think a 3-year-old could appreciate that humor. But then again I despise English humor movies.