• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Belbuca 150mcg (buprenorphine buccal film) Effective for Dilaudid Withdrawal?

I've had it before insured it can't be that hard.

...and I am NOT doubting you. I am simply asking the gentleman(Prescottdave) who I originally quoted as saying something about it being illegal to prescribe a medication for other than it's FDA approved purposes, what EXACTLY he meant. I never intended to argue with anyone about it.

Yea these belbuca SUCK. I normally take 2mg of Suboxone or Subutex a day and yesterday i took a 600mcg belbuca for the first time and i felt like SH#T.
600MCG IS .6MG SINCE 1000MCG IS 1MG.
Like i Said i normally take 2mg a day of subutek when i come off opiates and it would take 4 of these 600mcg of belbuca to equal 2mg of subutek or Suboxone. I like subs but the belbuca did NOT work for me personally.
I was in wds all night couldn't sleep keept shaking cold.
I usually wait 18-24hours before taking subs and i waited with belbuca and STILL FELT LIKE SH#T.
I HIGHLY HIGLY RECCOMEND YOU GET YOUR DR TO WRITE YOU SUBUTEX OR SUBOXONE AT LEAst 2MG daily. I can make a 8mg Suboxone or Subutex last me five days. Since i take 2mg a day that would mean i would have to take more than 10 belbuca!
Hey bud... if you ever get stuck with just belbuca put them under your tongue just like you would a suboxone

I've never heard of this medication before I'm assuming it's like suboxone, that is what im.on but does it have the blocker naloxone? That is where all.my problems are right now

I don't think you're reading his message correctly. Belcuca is NOT Suboxone" its only one ingredient in Suboxone and like Butrans or Zubzolv its prescribed totally different.. I first started taking Bup in France for ONLY pain after my neck was crushed and it was highly effective. Only after I came back home to the USA did I get put on Subs because they shouldn't really prescribe Subutex unless you're a pregnant women. The 8mg sub is not the same as a 12 hour Belcuca or even close as the method it is taking into your system is not under the tongue but stuck onto the inside of your cheek. If you're someone that get migraines from Subs then Belbuca should knock that out all together. Do some reading about Belbuca...and although you can get subs and Dilaudud maybe try to reduce that. When the cows come home, and they will, you will be in alot better shape with Belbuca than a true opiate...like Dilaudud or Oxy. I prefer the pain relief without being high. But we are all diff.

This is false. I was prescribed subutex for pain management for several years. On thr bottle is stated take 8mg in the morning and in the evening for pain. True this was subutex not suboxone but that really shuldnt matter. I didn't have insurance and subutex was the only generic with bupe at the time according to my doc. I started getting them in 2012 and stopped in 2015. Those variables shouldn't matter at all though.

This is directly from the NAABT website. You can also view this info on FDA.gov. NAABT states, "FDA has approved Subutex®( buprenorphine) and Suboxone® (buprenorphine/naloxone) to treat opioid dependence (addiction). However, neither Suboxone nor Subutex has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of depression or pain."

In rare instances generic bupe can be prescribed for pain by obtaining specific DEA and SAMHSA approval. Most prescribers do not want to be bothered with this process or will opt for an FDA approved medication that contains buprenorphine. I would imagine it could be harder to get it covered by insurance. This could differ state by state.

Last edited:
Like many drugs, it can be prescribed off label. Both Suboxone and Subutex can be used off label to treat pain issues, although it isn't very common in the US (it seems more common in France and places in Europe than here). Subutex and Suboxone are specifically "designed" as opioid use disorder medications, but like other meds they can be prescribe off label for other uses.

When it comes to using buprenorphine to treat pain in the US, something like a buprenorphine patch or implant seems more common than using Subutex: https://www.drugs.com/pro/buprenorphine-patch.html

In other places other forms of buprenorphine (like Temgesic in the UK) is more commonly used form of buprenorphine to use in treating pain related conditions.

The issue with using Suboxone or Subutex to treat pain (and why it isn't used often for such in the US) is that the dose of buprenorphine is far too high, providing more of an antagonist affect at the standard 8mg dose of Suboxone/Subutex. Doses of 2mg might work alright, but generally speaking lower doses of buprenorphine produce more of an opioid agonist effect than higher doses, where the partial antagonism is more prevalent.

Temgesic, a pain specific form of buprenorphine used in Europe, is measured in micrograms, not milligrams, for instance.

As an indication, back when i was coming off of heroin (about 1/4 gram a day), my doctor prescribed me 24mgs of subutex a day (to be tapered off over time).
This was enough to stave off wd - i didn't even need to take the full dosage. After some years of treatment (i kept on taking it for pain-management of my chronic abscesses) I had a bagful of B8s ^^

175mcrg seems absurd, though whatever works

Yeah, buprenorphine is actually prescribed for pain it seems, on a semi-regular basis.

Though you have multiple forms now(Zubsolv, Bunavaile etc)

(Haven't studied Belbuca, though)

I being new here seem to have missed something.Could someone tell me if Belbuca will substitute for Suboxone without getting withdrawals.
Is Belbuca a weaker dose of buprenorphine and what would 600mcg of Belbuca equal when compared to 8 mg of Suboxone .
Sorry folks , i'm maybe too new to the site yet..Any help would be appreciated .

^
As some BL'ers stated earlier in this thread, Belbuca is just a tad bit better absorbed than Suboxone, so 600MCG/0.6MG of Belbuca would equate to about 0.7MG of Suboxone or Subutex. You're looking at about 12- 0.6mg Belbuca's to equal an 8mg Sub.

Yeah, Belbuca is, wtf?

Who seriously though they could tear. Sub into pieces, slightly improve absorption, and make money off of it? Gotta hand it to then for being, um, Jerks, I suppose

The Big Pharmas looking for a magic pain med for opioid naive individuals. Though don't use it for end stage Sub tapering lest the insurance companies find out as pain and MAT should always be far apart per the RULES. I love how the FDA just wants to help people.

^ Damnit it’s inspiring Jekly! All of they’re sacrifices - they keep making new versions of the same drug, only to help us, and make sure that addiction and, actually relieving suffering stay well apart-all just to keep us safe. Your gonna make me cry man, your gonna make me cry

(Advertisement for Zubsolv, Buccal BUNAVAIL, Belbuca, and -still no generic- Suboxone film strips

Even na?ve, 150mcg is ridiculous for ? severe , round the clock pain management ?;

EUPHORIA from Belbuca Film??

Anyways - I went 22 hours and took a belbuca film. I had enjoyable bouts of euphoria as I get relief. Pretty much indicated I can take suboxone, which I did.

I know this is a way old post AND if you didn't mean this then I apologize....BUT are you saying you experienced EUPHORIA from Belbuca Film??

I have taken 15 days of Belbuca strips so far and not one time had Euphoria, not even close...

Back during percocet days I did, but not this Belbuca stuff..

do tell please..:D

It's not impossible. Have you looked at the studies? And how is it the same ROA? Buccal bioavailability of buprenorphine is significantly stronger than sublingual

It's not impossible. Have you looked at the studies? And how is it the same ROA? Buccal bioavailability of buprenorphine is significantly stronger than sublingual

Plasma concentrations of buprenorphine and norbuprenorphine were analyzed by nonlinear regression analysis with standard noncompartmental methods.

Buprenorphine biovailability by the sublingual and buccal routes was estimated as 51.4%(SL) and 27.8%(Buccal), respectively

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8889672

Last edited:
^ Think he was referencing, a Bunavail, a buccal strip with high (supposedly 80-90% BA) Although it had patented buccal strip adhesive thingie

^ Think he was referencing, a Bunavail, a buccal strip with high (supposedly 80-90% BA) Although it had patented buccal strip adhesive thingie

Good Catch Sir, BEMA Technology FTW.

BUNAVAIL has twice the bioavailability (drug absorbed into the body) of buprenorphine compared to Suboxone, the market leader in this category. As a result of the improved absorption of buprenorphine with BUNAVAIL, which is the direct result of the BEMA technology, plasma concentrations of buprenorphine comparable to Suboxone can be achieved with half the dose, which may help to reduce the potential for misuse and diversion and potentially lessen the incidence of certain side effects.

I guess it works well with Fent too..

The first product to be developed and marketed using the BEMA technology was Onsolis (fentanyl buccal soluble film). Following the successful development and approval of the first product utilizing the BEMA technology, we began to apply the same technology to improve the delivery of other therapies, such as buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone. The BEMA technology may also be developed with other active drugs, particularly in conditions where rapid delivery of drug is important, oral dosing is not optimal, or where intravenous line or injections are unavailable or not practical.