• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Surgery with an opiate addiction

ajcook

Greenlighter
I am having surgery for a herniated belly button at the end of May. I am addicted to poppy seed tea. My regular doctor knows about my addiction but the surgeon and anesthesiologist don't know. I have been dosing down to ween off, my goal being clean before the surgery. Now I'm not so sure I'll be totally clean before my surgery since I've had some emotional bumps along the road. What are the implications of being addicted to this crap and the anesthesia? I'm actually hoping to use the pain medicine they are giving me to taper off the tea. But I'm also afraid that since I have such a high tolerance (don't feel 5 5mg percocets at all), that it won't help as a pain reliever. Any info/advice from opiate addicts that have surgery would be very helpful.
5.gif

About 4 years ago i had a bad opiate addictionheroin and pills anything really) i would do as much as i could all day but anways i was in a bad car accident ( friend nodded off at the wheel on the highway coming back from a drug festival lol) i suffered a broken spine from this. 3cms deeper of a fracture i would be in a wheelchair. They had to do emergency surgery obviously fuse my spine and put metal in my back. The anestisia worked fine i didnt have any complications with the surgery or being put too sleep. Now the pain pills afterwards i did have too eat more and more for the pain ended up just doing heroin in the end. But yea that was my exsperience with it. Be careful with your pain meds. If they find out your an addict too they may give you something else as an alternative too opiates. I hope you are able too ween off dont let yourself go down that road ive bern clean a lil over a year and i wish i could get theyears of my life back that i lost being a slave too opiates.

If it were me, I would be upfront about the addiction piece because of the increased tolerance you have. If you want effective pain management through this process, I don't see a way around it as it will quickly be evident if the pain pills are not adequately controlling the pain. I have been honest with my doctors and it has not stopped them from trying to script me narcotic medications unfortunately. Ultimately you need to be comfortable during your healing process, and if you have a high tolerance the chances are good that you will be in pain if you don't have that discussion with your doctor. You do run the risk of not getting opiates, but how is that any different than getting opiates that are not strong enough to get beyond your tolerance.

I have surgery scheduled at the end of the month and I fear I will be without pain meds. My doctor is insisting on narcotic pain relief, and the addict in me is instantly excited at the prospect of pain pills so if I can't get something non-narcotic I won't have pain relief. I'm afraid to take opiates because I've been sober for a few years and don't want to risk initiating a relapse.

Good luck!

We have all right to be treated well and that also gives us right choose to not take narcotic pain killers if we don't want them.

Tell your surgeon about your usage and then they know how to adjust anesthesia properly. Narcotics can be prescribed for legit pain issues for opiate addicts if they want. You might have to stay in hospital for longer than normally as they adjust doses according to your tolerance.

x_benzo_girl, could it be possibly for you to stay in a hospital until you can manage with NSAIDs or similar for pain? Idk how much one hospital night costs fpr you in the states but I guess it is something astronomical unless insurance pays for it. Here it is just 23 euros for a night due it being tax funded so I stayed in hospital for a while until I managed with a smaller dose as before surgery and then started to taper off.

We have all right to be treated well and that also gives us right choose to not take narcotic pain killers if we don't want them.

Tell your surgeon about your usage and then they know how to adjust anesthesia properly. Narcotics can be prescribed for legit pain issues for opiate addicts if they want. You might have to stay in hospital for longer than normally as they adjust doses according to your tolerance.

x_benzo_girl, could it be possibly for you to stay in a hospital until you can manage with NSAIDs or similar for pain? Idk how much one hospital night costs fpr you in the states but I guess it is something astronomical unless insurance pays for it. Here it is just 23 euros for a night due it being tax funded so I stayed in hospital for a while until I managed with a smaller dose as before surgery and then started to taper off.

It's actually a simple outpatient procedure I'm having done on both feet. They're going to remove the middle bones on each of my last two toes and replace them with rods - both feet at once. I'm thinking it should only be sore for a few days, and shouldn't be that bad. I just want something "in case" I'm wrong. I'm very active and have been told I'll be able to start walking again in a few days, but I can see myself just pushing through and don't want to be kept awake at night because of pain. Being awake late at night for me is a huge trigger so I try to avoid it at all costs lol.

I may see if they have a topical I can use as opposed to a pill. A few years ago I dislocated my thumb and manage through getting it repaired and healing without painkillers, and it was excruciating. I figure if I can do that, the surgery won't be nearly as bad, so hopefully I can just do without anything.

I say be upfront with surgeon and everybody else. If youre going under its important they get it right. I was abusing my pain meds before emergency surgery last June and all i said is i have a high tolerance which to a dr means you take too many opiates. Plus drs like to scale drugs like ones badder than the other. Poppy seed tea isnt gonna flash red lights like heroin would. Rather be safe than sorry and im pretty sure theyll keep you comfy afterwards. They did me and i was already in the books at my hospital for narcotic abuse and previus alcohol abuse and they stilk gave me plenty. So i would tell everybody you have high tolerance bc you consume poppy seed tea. I always wanted to try that. Good luck

Don't try it!!!! Its super addictive, look at posts that deal with the withdrawal symptoms of pst, its nasty, some say as bad as heroin.Thanks for the advice though, I think you guys are right that I need to mention it. Should I tell the surgeon and the anesthesiologist or just the surgeon?

Well, generally the Dr will fill them in but i would mention it to both for sure. Get your surgery taken care of and go back to yur tea. Its just safer if you tell them cause they will up the pain medication. Trust me, they will. Ive had 2 emergency surgerys in two years and i told both im on high opiates every day and they said ok and he told nurse to crank up my diladid. Like i said, they judge substances. If you went in and said i have a heroin habit they would judge you but they wont think much of pst. When is your surgery again?

Thanks everyone for your advice, I truly appreciate it. I just love this site where we can talk to each other with no judgement and with such experience and honestly, its quite amazing.

I actually got on this site to see the right way to iv and its blossemed into wonderful friendships in all categories. I can help and be helped. I love to see i have messages. Youre in the right place. I hope weve helped a bit and youre doing ok. And if your not, theres no judgment out here. Theres assholes here and there but thats normal. Im usually snoozing but im wide awake. Sucks. Just wanted to say hi. Take care

Yeah hi to everyone awake at this ungodly hour. May your pains be minimal and your day be worthwhile. I'm grateful for you all. This is not the bottom of the barrel for me, it's the cream of the crop.

I'd definitely ask the anesthesiologist vor spinal anesthesia! It provides superior pain relief during and for 5-6 hours after the procedure and doesn't mess with your opioid receptors at all. Although you might be a bit nervous, hernia surgery is not a big deal and normally done within 30-45 minutes. If you don't want to be awake during the procedure, they'll just give you some midazolam.

Generally it's the way to go if you have a history of opioid abuse and need surgery: Ask for regional anesthesia! Almost all procedures on your abdomen and extremities can easily be performed that way either with or without general anesthesia and may provide excellent pain relief for days after the surgery if they put a catheter in!