• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: Addicts Turning To Anti-Diarrhea Medication Imodium A-D To Get High

DocDRDoc

Bluelighter
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/05/04/study-imodium-ad-high/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Some opioid addicts are turning to an over-the-counter alternative to get high.

CBS2’s Elise Finch reported that they’re taking dangerous doses of Imodium A-D, a widely available gastrointestinal medication.

According to a report published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine, the anti-diarrhea medication has growing appeal with substance abusers because it’s cheap and readily available.

Loperamide is the main ingredient in Imodium A-D. It causes intestinal slow-down, which helps stop diarrhea, but it is an opioid.

“It’s an opioid agent and it helps to bind receptors in the brain and cause a similar euphoria or high,” Dr. Scott Krakower, a physician who specializes in addiction disorders at Northwell Health, said. ...

"It's an opioid agent and it helps to bind receptors in the brain and causes a similar euphoria or high"

Well guys, the myth has got to be true. "It's a lot similar to morphine or oxycodone" Make sure you buy out your local pharmacy's loperamide before it's too late.

More like addicts turning to imodium to get them off the drugs that enslave them.

"It's an opioid agent and it helps to bind receptors in the brain and causes a similar euphoria or high"

No actually its flushed so quick im thinking a minor interaction. This medication has allowed many people who are hooked on binding opiates to break free eventually

It has poor oral systemic bioavailability and central nervous system penetration,

http://www.annemergmed.com/article/S0196-0644(16)30052-X/fulltext

Last edited:
I don't know about everyone else, but for me, getting diarrhea to stop feels sooooo good it is like getting high. %)

I came to post a similar article. Here's the link: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160503

"The results can be dangerous to the heart — and sometimes fatal — warn toxicologists in a study recently published online in the Annals of Emergency Medicine.

The researchers describe two case studies where people who were addicted to opioids tried to ease their withdrawal symptoms by taking many times the recommended dose of loperamide, a drug commonly used to treat diarrhea. Both patients died.

But at these very high doses, loperamide may be even more dangerous than its more widely abused brethren. Opioids generally suppress breathing, but loperamide can also fatally disrupt the heart's rhythm."

I just took a hefty dose of lope yesterday to make it through work. But I won't be any more.

I certanly would not take it long term. I think there have been at least a few Bluelighters who have passed from lopi as well. How many people have taken this with no problems? Seems like quite a few. I wonder how lopie's studied negative effects would look like compared to various opiate addictions? What other drugs showed up on the tox screen.

Postmortem toxicology analysis of cardiac blood demonstrated a loperamide concentration of 77 ng/mL (therapeutic range 0.24 to 3.1 ng/mL),8 7-aminoclonazepam concentration of 180 ng/mL (therapeutic range 23 to 137 ng/mL),9 free buprenorphine concentration of 1.8 ng/mL (therapeutic range 1 to 8 ng/mL),10 and free norbuprenorphine concentration of 2.9 ng/mL (therapeutic range 0.33 to 3.5 ng/mL).11 Results for head gas chromatography and expanded high-performance liquid chromatography and time-of-flight–mass spectrometry analysis performed by a national forensic reference laboratory were negative for all other analytes, including methadone, 6-monoacetylmorphine, ethanol, quinine, and quinidine. The cause of death was determined to be mixed drug intoxication.

The patient’s underlying cardiomegaly likely predisposed him to cardiac toxicity

2nd case
Comprehensive postmortem toxicology revealed a femoral blood loperamide concentration of 140 ng/mL. Comprehensive gas chromatography–mass spectrometry analysis result was negative for all other analytes, including methadone, 6-monoacetylmorphine, ethanol, quinine, and quinidine.

. Like that in case 1, the patient’s cardiomegaly was likely contributory.

So what do we really have here? I'm less than overwhelmed with this data.

But if you have cardiomegaly or even if you don't I wouldn't take ridiculous lope doses like these people did.

Last edited:
Scary stuff - I know lope can help with withdrawals in high doses, but I would never suggest to try and get high off of it.
It's just too dangerous, IMO.

Lope works wonders during withdrawals but as far as recreational use....mmmmm it's definitely not worth it! I'm surprised to see this made it to the news but then again not THAT surprised.

i can remember there being threads on lope about trying to get it to cross the BBB with tonic water/black pepper (contain quinine) which was supposed to help things along. in order to get an opiate high from it, don't remember it being successful tho.

A common food additive worked and it had very similar characteristics to morphine.

I certanly would not take it long term. I think there have been at least a few Bluelighters who have passed from lopi as well. How many people have taken this with no problems? Seems like quite a few. I wonder how lopie's studied negative effects would look like compared to various opiate addictions? What other drugs showed up on the tox screen.

2nd case

So what do we really have here? I'm less than overwhelmed with this data.

But if you have cardiomegaly or even if you don't I wouldn't take ridiculous lope doses like these people did.

Im not overwhelmed at all. The combos of lope/bupe or methadone/lope plus underlying cardiac disease were surely causitive. How many addicts may have any number of undiagnosed conditions including cardiac. Add a few QT prolongers, and boom TDP which can be fatal.

According to an article I read today, the US, meaning the FDA, plans to recommend that lope be sold from behind the counter and only in limited quantities.

Based off what.. decreased opiate use. There is an inherent problem with the regulators at the FDA being funded by the people they regulate. So they are going to do this based off the absolutely shit "study."

I say we randomly pick a kindergarten class, though one that's amphetamine free.. I know the fda says its all good to give four year olds reg amps 24 7, but we need sain ones to take over for the FDA.