• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin Toxins

embryo923

Bluelighter
I spoke to a very credible nutritionist about the weight gain I was experiencing from my gabapentin prescription. I am a very experienced drug user and I use gabapentin for it's intended purposes and have only begun to gain (a lot) of weight since I started taking it. I know it's a common side effect and very unpleasant. I asked the nutritionist about this and he told me it was from all the toxins from consuming gabapentin. He didn't elaborate because there were other issues I was there to discuss.

Anyone have anything to add about the "toxin" comment? What would be going on physiologically here?

a very credible nutritionist [...] told me it was from all the toxins from consuming gabapentin.

Wow, he's "very credible"? I wonder what he'd have to say about medicinal marihuana then. That stuff must be toxic as fuck considering the kind of intense munchies you get from it. :p

Anyone have anything to add about the "toxin" comment?

That the guy's a quack maybe?

What would be going on physiologically here?

Nobody seems to know exactly how Gabapentin works, but if it turns out to affect the GABA receptor after all, it wouldn't be the only drug of its kind to do so (I get mad munchies from benzodiazepines, for example, which are allosteric modulators of the GABA receptor)

Wow, he's "very credible"? I wonder what he'd have to say about medicinal marihuana then. That stuff must be toxic as fuck considering the kind of intense munchies you get from it. :p

That the guy's a quack maybe?

Nobody seems to know exactly how Gabapentin works, but if it turns out to affect the GABA receptor after all, it wouldn't be the only drug of its kind to do so (I get mad munchies from benzodiazepines, for example, which are allosteric modulators of the GABA receptor)
Regardless of what you have to say, he's still more credible than you at the moment.

Its 99% renally cleared, so its not metabolized into toxins. Whether it in its own right is a toxin you can decide.

Its 99% renally cleared, so its not metabolized into toxins. Whether it in its own right is a toxin you can decide.
What causes the weight gain? This isn't just a little weight,, it's like 15-20 pounds within a couple of months. Water retention?

I imagine partly. Many get fluid retenion or edema with it. Maybe metabolic, too.

Pregabalin, which is similar to gabapentin, definately caused me to want to eat more.

I would say that if there aren't any metabolical changes or symptoms then it is just question of eating more than you consume.

Also I do believe that proper nutritionist should address things differently than just talking about "poisons".

Pregabalin, which is similar to gabapentin, definately caused me to want to eat more.

I would say that if there aren't any metabolical changes or symptoms then it is just question of eating more than you consume.

Also I do believe that proper nutritionist should address things differently than just talking about "poisons".
I don't eat more than I normally did, probably less in fact. And I have 2 friends on gaba who also are experiencing this weight gain issue. Also large doses destroy short term memory and I think cause neuron death because of NMDA excitation.

I don't eat more than I normally did, probably less in fact. And I have 2 friends on gaba who also are experiencing this weight gain issue. Also large doses destroy short term memory and I think cause neuron death because of NMDA excitation.

No credible studies to support neuron death. Short term memory is impeded by mostly all GABA modulating or GABAergic drugs.

Ask your quack doc for studies supporting this bullshit. It seems like there's a lot going around against gabapentin lately. In the meantime a good post i wrote responding to some other guy spreading this crap....

First of all, Im sorry if I came off as incendiary in the original conveyance of my tone. Let me attempt to be perfectly clear on my opinions about the Lyrica/Neurontin controversy in a timely fashion as the OP has obtained a shipment of pregabalin which is enroute.

Having been prescribed Neurontin long term and now on a very high dose (800mg/4x a day) I feel my observations deserve consideration. And yes, I am aware every individual has different reactions to both the taking and cessation of the same drug. I received my next 90 day prescription, indicated for pain, literally today. I dosed moderately high immediately on arrival, and I feel amazing. I had gone around a week without and didnt really taper before I ran out.

Like any other GABAergic drug anyone would be dependent on, sudden cessation brought with it a mix of relatively horrible withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal from any GABA-B drugs or in this case a drug that increases GABA production is always going to be unpleasant. Some derealization, insomnia, crippling depression, rebound pain, loss of appetite, sensitivity to light, etc.

In rare cases, ABRUPT cessation of extremely high doses can cause withdrawal seizures. I am VERY prone to seizures as Ive had eight from benzodiazepine w/d. Ive never had a seizure cold turkey'ing a 5g/day habit of gabapentin. I've felt like death but I've never seized. I know a lot of people that take this drug. No one I know of has ever seized. It is an extremely rare occurance.

My main issue with your original post was the mention of degradation of "nerve sheaths" (please enlighten me to what those are, btw) and the fact that regular neurontin use leads to multiple sclerosis. There have been loose studies done that indicate neurontin kills new brain synapses... Even those are highly questionable.
-- There is no evidence to support any of your claims of long term neurological damage caused by either pregabalin or gabapentin. Therefore you are spreading misinformation.

There are, however, studies indicating its effacy in pain relief as englandz pointed out just one. You indicated those didnt exist. Misinformation again.

The withdrawal from these chemicals isnt fun as cessation brings along downregulation of gaba in the brain. All the off label issues you discussed seem slightly irrelevant? So what if Phyzer is corrupt? These drugs are extremely effective at treating the symptoms of opiate withdrawal and namely the anxiety thereof. They are relatively safe drugs to take as needed. The issues only arise when a heavy dependency is introduced.

The OP is gambling with returning to daily doses of a highly toxic chemical(loperamide), so I think most would agree the pros highly outweigh the cons. Just keeping it real, I know you're new here and a "micro-biolgist" so Im gonna say this. I like to think in OD we take claims like the ones you made seriously. If you ever want to discuss breakthrough discoveries of the long term neurological devastation caused by a VERY commonly prescribed drug, I highly recommend yo post your evidence. Im still waiting for links to some studies to back up your claims. And please dont take this the wrong way! This is what its all about. Knowledge. Bluelight. Life. If you know something I dont, enlighten me! Have a great rest of your day.

-chase

Most Gaba drugs seem to causse weight gain when abused, IME.. I've been on suboxone and didn't gain any weight till i started taking some benzos and gabapentin every month...then alot of gabapentin and benzo's for a while, then added phenibut for a little bit...my morning dose was 8mg of Sub SL, 2 grams of Phenibut, 2800mg 0f gabapentin and 8mg of klonopin(spread out over 4 hours)...I just ate the worst frozen food that was awesome which I added butter cheese and sryup to and also a salmon sandwhich whith a shitload of butter and two pieces of lowfat cheese and lowfat mayo and ketchup..it was sooo good lol. Alos had some weedt. But really gaba drugs do cause weight cuz most people say they don't really have an appetie on Subs and my weight stayed normal when I was just taking that.

I gained weight during seven weeks of using high dose gabapentin (1200mg - 2100mg per day). Probably about 10 pounds. It was very uncomfortable water weight; I felt bloated all the time and had a odd heavy feeling in my stomach.

Once I stopped gabapentin, it went away in about a month.

No credible studies to support neuron death. Short term memory is impeded by mostly all GABA modulating or GABAergic drugs.

Ask your quack doc for studies supporting this bullshit. It seems like there's a lot going around against gabapentin lately. In the meantime a good post i wrote responding to some other guy spreading this crap....
First of all you seem angry so relax and stop responding to me like a spoiled angry kid, faggot.
Anyway, so gabapentin doesn't cause excitoxic effects? There aren't specific studies showing whether gabapentin itself causes cell death, but it has known effects on the NMDA receptor that cause excitoxic neuron death.
For the record, I love gabapentin that's why I've been taking it. I also love my health, so I don't see the issue with questioning any health risks taking this medication would pose, as I don't expect my doctor to go into detail about it because for the most part I don't trust doctors.

First of all you seem angry so relax and stop responding to me like a spoiled angry kid, faggot.
Anyway, so gabapentin doesn't cause excitoxic effects? There aren't specific studies showing whether gabapentin itself causes cell death, but it has known effects on the NMDA receptor that cause excitoxic neuron death.

Why is he being called a faggot for disagreeing with you ? You seem like the immature , angry kid.

Also gabapentin does not have any "known effects" that cause excitoxic neuron death. In fact it has the opposite effects : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17073851/ .

That's not gonna fly here .

- lenses

For the record, I love gabapentin that's why I've been taking it. I also love my health, so I don't see the issue with questioning any health risks taking this medication would pose, as I don't expect my doctor to go into detail about it because for the most part I don't trust doctors.

Lol not sure why you took it as me being angry. Im barely even frustrated at the spreading of BS claims on gabapentin as thats just the way shit goes sometimes.

I declined to stoop down to insulting you back once i checked you out. Have a good day bro, i hope your drugs are half as good as mine today and if you earn half what Im gonna make today working twice the hours you're good.

So yeah im spoiled. My fine ass gf, drugs, friends, and awesome job have me spoiled. Be a good boy and get you some spoils as well. Livin life angry aint as fun.

Lol not sure why you took it as me being angry. Im barely even frustrated at the spreading of BS claims on gabapentin as thats just the way shit goes sometimes.

I declined to stoop down to insulting you back once i checked you out. Have a good day bro, i hope your drugs are half as good as mine today and if you earn half what Im gonna make today working twice the hours you're good.

So yeah im spoiled. My fine ass gf, drugs, friends, and awesome job have me spoiled. Be a good boy and get you some spoils as well. Livin life angry aint as fun.
I guess your anger comes from your incredibly apparent insecurity lol. Have a good day as well! :)