• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Amphetamines Neuroprotective/Neurotoxic?

TheTwighlight

Bluelighter
Okay, I've read that in therapeutic doses, amphetamines are neuroprotective, but in recreational doses, they are neurotoxic. Is this true? How does that work? And also, since methamphetamine is neurotoxic, is it not included? Would it not be neuroprotective also at therapeutic doses?

I question this, because I have known people who take 20mg of Adderall total in a day, while I used to take 80mg a day (this was prescribed). I find it very hard to believe that 80mg of Adderall a day could be neuroprotective, because I would be tweaking balls and up for days on the normal dose of my prescribed ADHD meds.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think its conflicting, but the higher the dose, the greater the risk if I remember for amphetamine. Meth for sure has neurotoxicity. I would have to re-read some stuff but someone will be more informed.

At low levels, many substances or activities that initially place a strain on antioxidant systems - take exercise for example - cause the body to adjust by boosting antioxidant defences (eg increasing production of enzymes, GSH etc). In that sense, an initially low dose of a substance taken chronically - amphetamines in your case - can be thought of as ultimately 'neuroprotective'. At 80mg, however, I'm not so sure...

Also, something else I've noticed. I am on 300mg Effexor XR, and every time I do amps (usually meth), I have minimal comedown depression, even after 4 or 5 days awake, and I bounce back really, really fast compared to when I was hooked on it over 10 years ago. Just something I've noticed, but it's significant. It has to be the venlafaxine.

Personally I think that missing sleep is very harmful. Dopamine auto-oxidation is of concern at some point and having stress hormones flowing through your system chronically isn't good either.

Sometimes it's not about damage as much as it is altering the rate of neurogenesis. Chronic high cortisol can decrease neurogenesis. A lot of growth also occurs during sleep so when you miss sleep even if you weren't being damaged by oxidative stress you would still miss out on those new brain cells.

From what I've heard cocaine users might have a lesser incidence of Alzheimer's. But I would't equate cocaine/Ritalin and amphetamines. I think Ritalin might be the safer choice rather than amphetamine.

I don't worry too much about these effects at a therapeutic dosage (50 mg or below daily max 20 mg at a time). And more importantly coupled with a healthy lifestyle IE 7 hours of sleep a healthy diet and moderately important amount of time spent exercising/playing sports/cycling and walking.

METHamphetamine has been proven to be nuerotoxic if used chronically.

I am 7 months DRUG FREE. Had a bad 5-year addiction to prescription stimulants. Started off with Adderral....then graduated to Dexedrine and finally got my doctor to prescribe me Desoxyn (methamphetamine) 5mg, 4 times a day (120 count). I only took the Desoxyn for about 3 months. The dexedrine was more euphoric than the Desoxyn in my opinion. I started taking them orally, then learned plugging the stuff increased the bioavailability to IV bolus levels. On my hardcore binges, I was plugging about 2 grams of Dexedrine in less than 12 hours. I started taking synthetic marijuana due to a pending divorce and depression due to job problems....that made me spiral downward and I ended up in a world reknowned treatment center in Naples FL for a month. This saved my life....without a doubt

Yes methamphetamine is toxic, probably at all doses. Amphetamine itself can definitely take a toll on the body and brain. Chronic use of stimulants tends to take a toll on people,even caffeine. If you're prescribed 80mg per day, that's definitely a high dose (but I'm pretty sure you know that). The thing is, taking 20mg, and then waiting four to five hours before taking another dose, is certainly more healthy than taking 40mg, then 40mg again in two hours. So it somewhat depends on how you break up your doses. But you won't be waiting four to five hours before taking another dose because you fit 80mg into a 13-16 hour day. So you might likely be on too high of a dose.

I don't think any dose of amphetamine is neuroprotective. It could be mildly neurotoxic at reasonable doses (20mg-40mg per day). It starts to get much more toxic when you exceed this general interval. If you're also taking a high dose of an SNRI, you're really straining your adrenal gland quite a bit. A reasonable amount of restorative sleep and nutrition will make it less toxic. In sum: reduce your meds to the bare amount that they'll still be effective. I learned that the hard way...

Ritalin is actually neuroprotective at therapeutic doses, I believe.

I was prescribed 100mg vyvanse for a while and you can't tell me that shit was helping my brain. honestly I find vyvanse more euphoric and stimulating than even most meth, all but the highest quality shard IVed in large doses. vyvanse is the shit. adderall -- I tried 120mg once and barely felt anything, like I'd overdosed on caffeine. not fun. brain chemistry thing I guess. I'm skeptical of neuroprotective qualities. sounds like something Big Pharma would say.

I am concerned a particular one damagedy brain on the left side based on acute neurological symptoms experienced physically with a reoccurring cranial pressure left front top side of skull almost scheduled a brain scan after a binge once but it went away after stopping for a couple weeks still get it if i go too hard but being stronger now it goes away quicker after a binge.

I was thinking of using it again even after admitting this today but just read DXM is a neuroprotectant hence has the potential to reverse the damage caused by amp toxicity used right might as well stop asking if amphetamines are and try to use more neuroenhancing compounds because I am lying if I say amphetamines boost my neurology long term