• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Advice about first alcohol withdrawl

lightblue543

Bluelighter
Hello...

I've very recently began to experience the beginning of alcohol withdrawal, strangely enough I only just realized this fact earlier today when I was looking into my cause of Expressive Aphasia that seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. I lacked the insight to even see that my 'casual & harmless drinking' was actually a problem, and sudden symptoms weren't weren't entirely blood sugar related as I originally thought, but were rather due to alcohol withdrawal.

Yesterday, on May 3rd, I had a total of 12 units (about 6 units between 1AM and 4AM, then another 6 units between 6PM and 9PM); so as of right now it's been about 17 hours since my last drink. I fit all of the so-called 'mild alcohol withdrawal' symptoms right now, which aren't really that big of a deal, but I worry that they will escalate into the moderate range and maybe even the severe range three days into the withdrawal (delirium tremens). I wouldn't consider myself a heavy drinker, it's more along the lines of drinking around 2.5-4 units daily but with only one to two days of abstinence a week, and this pattern has gone on for around a year, on and off, but mostly on. So, am I at any risk of seizures, Delirium Tremens or long term liver and brain damage going off what I said? Should I stop so suddenly? How long do you think the withdrawl will last? And lastly should I take any supplements to help with this? Right now I take a multivitamin which includes Vit. B1 and Vit. B12.

you probably want to consult with a doctor. alcohol w/d can be deadly. you'll most likely need a benzodiazepine to help you through the w/d....so yeah be safe and talk to a doctor...you could just go into the ER , they will help you. good luck and keep us posted

Yeah be very careful with alcohol withdrawal as grand mal seizures are very common.

At best they can result in serious injury when You call and at worst can kill.

Benzodiazepines are usually first line treatment for seizures so definitely consult a doctor and don't try it alone.

^ I dont think the benzo is the greatest idea.It may prolong his wd, seeing how closely related to alcohol they are.

What exactly is a unit?

- Hopeless 7nos

Benzodiazepines are first line treatment for alcohol withdrawls (usually but not necessarily Librium is used) due to the massively increased seizure threshold.

The fact that they are related is neither here nor there....the risk of seizures is life threatening.

As for treatment of an ACTUAL seizure..benzos are a must since barbituates have fallen out of use. We use them for seizure treatment at work virtually every day. Usually IV or PR diazepam (diazemuls) or occasionally bucal midazolam.

Benzodiazepines are first line treatment for alcohol withdrawls (usually but not necessarily Librium is used) due to the massively increased seizure threshold.

The fact that they are related is neither here nor there....the risk of seizures is life threatening.

As for treatment of an ACTUAL seizure..benzos are a must since barbituates have fallen out of use. We use them for seizure treatment at work virtually every day. Usually IV or PR diazepam (diazemuls) or occasionally bucal midazolam.

word.

What exactly is a unit?

One alcohol unit is measured as 10ml or 8g of pure alcohol. This equals one 25ml single measure of whisky (ABV 40%), or a third of a pint of beer (ABV 5-6%) or half a standard (175ml) glass of red wine (ABV 12%)

Those smiley faces are supposed to be percentage signs....not sure why they came out like that

^ I'm aware of benzo use for sezuires, I was going to add "unless wd is severe.", but based on his description, it seems his wd is "light", sezuire risk is probably low, although not out of the realm of possibility.

So 1 unit = ⅓ of a pint of 5% abv? So his 12 unit.he drank was 4 pints? Correct me if I'm wrong plz and I'll edit it.

- Hopeless 7nos

^ I'm aware of benzo use for sezuires, I was going to add "unless wd is severe.", but based on his description, it seems his wd is "light", sezuire risk is probably low, although not out of the realm of possibility.

So 1 unit = ⅓ of a pint of 5% abv? So his 12 unit.he drank was 4 pints? Correct me if I'm wrong plz and I'll edit it.

- Hopeless 7nos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_withdrawal_syndrome#Treatment benzos are used for alcohol withdrawal, its just the way it is my friend.

This
Benzos, or in germany chlormethiazole, are absolutely necessary, because seizure and delirium tremens can kill someone withdrawing from alcohol. Plus you can do a fast taper with benzos like diazepam, or oxazepam making the withdrawal as smooth as possible.

- Hopeless 7nos

Yes alcohol and benzos both act on GABA-A, but a fast taper with diazepam or oxazepam is better than cold turkey imo. It'll make the withdrawal smother and decreases the risks of seizure and delirium tremens.

Definitely consult a doctor if you're going through alcohol withdrawal, or go to a hospital (the will treat you for it). Usually they'll give you some benzo, most often Librium. No matter how light the withdrawals may be, it's better to just be safe.

Talk to a medical professional, even if you have to check into a hospital or rehab/detox clinic that has medical professionals in it. Alcohol withdrawal is deadly and a lot of people have died from it or attempting to do it on their own. Stay safe.

Definitely consult a doctor if you're going through alcohol withdrawal, or go to a hospital (the will treat you for it). Usually they'll give you some benzo, most often Librium. No matter how light the withdrawals may be, it's better to just be safe.
My cousin had his seizure on the 2nd day into c/t detox, prior to the seizure he said he wasn't feeling all that bad.

Why take the chance?

I have gone through alcohol detox many times IN a detox facility and was ALWAYS given Librium, along with things like ranitidine for nausea and such.

And thank GOD. I agree with the bulk of above posters, consult a physician. You do not want to take the risk of seizure. And that risk is VERY real (but preventable).

Not to beat a dead horse but seriously man go to a hospital or detox. Helped my father detox at home many, many times and I don't have any idea how he's still alive. Withdrawals were unbearable to watch, let alone endure but he was a much, much heavier drinker than you from what you've stated. Get to a hospital or detox and you'll be fine. Good luck man wish you the best

I'd say if you havn't woken up with huge withdrawal they won't be that bad, but the issue is they can always get worse the longer you go without. I got given chlordiazepoxide (aka Librium) a benzo mainly used for alcohol withdrawal, try talking to your Doc and mentioning that benzo as it's mainly used for alcohol withdrawal as I said.
First benzo ever discovered as well oddly.

I appreciate the responses. However, I have decided that I am going to taper solely using alcohol; I have the support of a friend, and I live with others, so if the proverbial sh*t hits the fan, I'll have them here to help me.

The way I've decided to taper is by having 1-2 beers (each equating to 2.3 units) at the point when the sweating, anxiety and shaking begins -- i.e. when the withdrawal comes back (right now I've pushed it to the 30 hour mark). Last drink I had was at 3AM yesterday, will have another right now, and I will continue to do this until I no longer experience withdrawal, and taper down to 0. This site is quite helpful: http://www.hamsnetwork.org/taper/

I had read that as long as the drinker does regularly exceed 15 units (not me) then medication is not usually needed. Naturally trying to taper down from that amount using alcohol is risky, you're essentially poisoning yourself just to prevent the more severe symptoms from setting in. Yet at my level I think this is passable... right? Do you think I should taper a little slower? I've looked at my past drink purchase history on my bank statement, and paired it with what drinks I bought and how much I usually drink; and it's usually no more than 6 units tops, anymore is just an uncommon occasion, as evidenced by the fact that I hardly ever experience hangovers.

does this sound like a plan?