• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What is the deal with me and Valium?

aujiraman

Greenlighter
I don't understand it. I started on 10 mg Valium per day about 6 days ago, moved up to 20 mg per day after about two days, and now I find myself taking 60-80mg and still maintaining reasonable functionality. I am under the influence of 40mg as I type this now. Is this something to be concerned about? Are these dosages simply not as high as I thought they were? Am I gaining a serious tolerance that quickly? How long do I have before I have to worry about physical dependence / withdrawal? Thanks for your input. Aujuraman

Last edited:
Benzodiazepines vary in dosages wildly. What specific benzo are you referring to? Diazepam(a.k.a. valium) possibly?

It's all good, yeah I figured as much with the dosages you stated. You may just have a naturally higher tolerance, but I wouldn't push the dosages just because you can still function, it will just raise your tolerance more. You're taking it for general anxiety or what?

It's all good, yeah I figured as much with the dosages you stated. You may just have a naturally higher tolerance, but I wouldn't push the dosages just because you can still function, it will just raise your tolerance more. You're taking it for general anxiety or what?
It works absolute wonders for social anxiety, sleep, muscle aches, high blood pressure, and occasional recreation at particularly high doses. The only downside is that everything seems like a haze, and I don't feel like I'm experiencing everything to the fullest.

Correction: You may *think* you're functional. In reality, your ability to tell good ideas from bad ones (like, you know, taking so much fucking Valium ;) ) is already severely compromised.

"Been there, done that", and all.

^This
Benzos tend to make you feel not fucked up even though you are.

And 60-80mg is quite a big dosage. IMO you should stop now, before you get dependent. Benzos will most likely make your anxiety worse in the long run and the withdrawal is hell on earth and can kill you in the worst case.

I am quite functional. Aside from the occasional balance issue and the general slowing down and dulling of everything, I'm actually quite fine if I focus. At 100mg now, btw. I obviously wouldn't be having a beer or an oxy or anything atm (I would die), but currently, I don't feel overdose-y in any way, shape, or form.

That is the entire point they are attempting to make in the posts above.

Often on benzo's, YOU feel fine and feel like you are not influenced at all. In the meantime, everyone else is thinking "What the hell is this person on?" as many people on benzo's in the dosages you are talking about appear very stoned and seem to be acting strange. So you might feel fine, but it might be very obvious that you are taking something to other people. This is very common when dealing with benzodiazepines.

Benzodiazepine dependence can happen fast depending on the person. In general it is inadvisable to take benzodiazepines each day for more than 2-4 four weeks. And the dosage you are taking are high which only makes the potential withdrawals that much worse.

I have also loudly insisted that I was completely fine while benzo'd out ;)

Don't fuck around with benzodiapenes. That's the only advice I have. They are useful drugs for their indications, but they are definitely not to be "fucked with".

I am quite functional. Aside from the occasional balance issue and the general slowing down and dulling of everything, I'm actually quite fine if I focus. At 100mg now, btw. I obviously wouldn't be having a beer or an oxy or anything atm (I would die), but currently, I don't feel overdose-y in any way, shape, or form.

Dude,100mg is way too much. Withdrawal will be hell on earth and may kill you!
Stop as long as you can.

You may not have dependency issues yet, but if not you're on the fast track to having a real problem with benzo's. Luckily Diazepam is a real good benzo to taper with, so I would start doing that ASAP. Benzodiazepine withdrawals can be very dangerous and result in seizures and death. Really, I hope that you can find the power within yourself to get of the benzo-train before you have to face those hellish withdrawals. I'm currently tapering off of clonazepam, going down .5mg every 2-3 weeks, and even with that I'm having trouble.

Also, like others have said, benzo's are not like alcohol where you can tell that you're fucked up. On benzodiazepines you'll be slurring your speech but you won't even be aware of it. Longterm benzo use can cause serious memory problems, which is another thing I have real problems from. I remember there was a point in time when I was taking an ungodly amount of alprazolam, and ironically my memory was worse off the xanax then on it, that's how damaging the withdrawals can be. When you're using heavy dosages of benzo's, your life becomes one huge blur. You might feel better/less anxious, maybe you even get a little euphoria out of it (diazepam and xanax are the two benzodiazepines that I would consider mildly euphoric, especially diazepam), but you're going to run into problems. Blacking out is no joke, I've woken up face down on a crowded NYC train before 15 stops past where my house was, not knowing how I got there, and that's one of my less 'traumatic' stories in regards to blackouts/amnesia.

How about this for a strange one......Been on Diazepam (Valium) at 10mg for 16 years, prescribed for anxiety......If I increase the dose by just 1 or 2mg my anxiety gets a lot worse, strange huh? I read on the net its called a paradoxical or something like that.

How about this for a strange one......Been on Diazepam (Valium) at 10mg for 16 years, prescribed for anxiety......If I increase the dose by just 1 or 2mg my anxiety gets a lot worse, strange huh? I read on the net its called a paradoxical or something like that.
Yeah, it's a paradoxical reaction.
Usually happens with the elderly.
I worked in a psychiatric clinic and once a man wasbrought to us, around 70 years old, who apparently ran through a hospital completely naked after they gave him some midazolam to relax before an operation. We had to tie him to the bed, because he was going crazy. Next day he was back to normal and couldn't remember much.
Paradoxical reactions are fucked up.
But back to the topic.

Leo Sternbach (the guy who invented the benzodiazepine class of drugs) supposedly said that Valium actually made him feel kind of depressed.

(interestingly, benzodiazepines were invented pretty much by accident: Investigating possible precursors for synthetic dyes, Sternbach synthesized Chlordiazepoxide. While the dye thing didn't pan out after all, they administered the compound to their lab rats (which was apprently standard procedure - hey, they already had it synthed, and probably more than enough rats) who got super-relaxed for a super-long time without being super dead even as they kept increasing the dose. Chlordiazepoxide eventually hit the market under the name "Librium", and was soon followed by a structurally tweaked version, Diazepam AKA Valium.)

I imagine it would take nowadays more than "Hey I just synthesized something new which doesn't work as intended. Lets give it to lab rats." to be able to test something new. Also licking one's fingers after synthesization as was the case with aspartam isn't the standard lab procedure hopefully anymore.

Sorry OP to steal thread......One last question.....If I get a paradoxical effect to increasing my diazepam would I feel worse if I took say xanax as that is a benzo?

Sorry OP to steal thread......One last question.....If I get a paradoxical effect to increasing my diazepam would I feel worse if I took say xanax as that is a benzo?

Not necessarily. Im like you, I don't really care for valium. Doesn't help anxiety much, makes me kind of depressed and short lived. Xanax and k-pin though? Much better. Im like the op as I develop benzo tolerance very quickly.

Correction: You may *think* you're functional.
"Been there, done that", and all.

Yes, there's indeed a difference between how we think we are doing versus how comfortable I feel when I'm doing this.
Decrease of anxiety may work well in small doses. I'd be careful with the tolerance. Benzos are quite difficult to quit and at some point not even larger doses will make you feel like you are feeling now.

An analogy to that is also used for those who drink and tend to think they are performing better.

You have to try it, but I guess switching to another benzo could work.