• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Please help. In Precipitated withdrawal

WARDMAN3

Bluelighter
I havent been to this site in a long time but I need help... I decided I would go back on the suboxone today after three years of using oxycodone (150-200mgs) a day. I have been in this cycle before but it has been over three years.. Anyway I had taken only 10mgs today but decided to stupidly start the suboxone as I had never had PW before.... I took 1mg and felt ok and 30 minutes later I took another 1 mg) Well 15 minutes after that dose I went right into withdrawals.. Immediate diarrhea and my whole body feels like it is on fire. Any advice and yes I know I was stupid to start the suboxone that early, but I did and now I am dealing with this.

Goddamn, its like my doppelgängers keep appearing. I literally did the same thing 7 days ago. I took 8mg too close to my last oxy dose and wd kicked in. Fortunately, it wasnt to bad, just chills and sweating, bit of runny nose. All you can do is treat the symptoms you are having and maybe in another 8 hours take a small dose.

I would take some Immodium, eat some bananas (for potassium), and take hot showers. Neurontin or Valium if you have it.

Thank you for responding Kitty Cat and Anna. I had never had PW before, even dosing with suboxone 4 hours later. I thought since I had 12 hours before I took that 10 mgs and another 3 after, I would be ok since the 10 mgs didnt quell the beginnings of my WD ( I guess now I believe I was more in psychological withdrawal) Well I can admit that PW sure as Hell exists. I have NEVER had a feeling wash over me like that feeling did. I am still not feeling well but it is subsiding just a bit...But it doesnt help with how much I am beating myself up in general to have gotten this bad to go on suboxone again. I was going to just go cold turkey but after trying that for the millionth time in December with horrific results, I thought I should just go back on suboxone and stabilize. Never thining I would have this preciptated withdrawal.... It is awful

It caught me off guard too. I knew it was a possibility but had 10 hours or so since dosing last so thought I would be fine. Dont beat yourself up. Withdrawal sucks and Suboxone is a godsend. Are you planning to stay on it long?

I have been on it three times before in the last 7 years.. Besides today's debacle....Yes, it has worked. I never need more than 8mgs on day 1... Within 7 days I am at 2mgs and within 1 week I am done to 1mg... The problem in the past is that I wanted to be off it too soon, that constant fight in my head that I am not actually "clean". This time I will get down to 1mg and just stay there for awhile while I pick up the pieces of my life, which is another story... So in summary, I am not going to rush.. The 1mg takes away that constant mind thoughts running when you are on oxy, like will I have enough pills? What am I gonna do if I run out early, etc etc etc... So let's hope this time is for good.

Take it as soon as possible and do what you can to relieve symptoms now. Im not sure about heroin, but for oxy day 3 was the start for me. @ Natalia

Wardman, no shame in that. If its the choice between oxy and Suboxone, well I think you know. 1mg should be fairly easy coming off. Maybe not perfect, but manageable.

When I was prescribed suboxone for the first time back in 2009 I tried to come off it too fast.. I jumped from 2mgs less than 2 weeks after detox. I was fine for 36 hours then I went into withdrawals.. Looking back I jumped too high and should have stabilized more... I have been batting an oxy addiction for a long time and have hated that I ever got into this, but I did... After years and years of Cold Turkey and researching stuff, I totally believe the best thing for me is the suboxone.. I have been on it 4x prior in the last 7 years as I said but my main beef with it is that guilt feeling that I am not truly clean.. I spent this past weekend really being honest with myself and admitted the suboxone completely is the way to go for me again.. The difference this time, after this PW nightmare, is that I will taper down to 1mg like I normally do and just stay there and completely fix my life. When it comes time, I will go off it and at THAT point I will worry about it but I am not setting a date right now.

Sounds good. Yeah oxy. 20 years after first trying I think Im done. It just has nothing left to give. Im hoping I stay as well as I am now when I fully stop my Suboxone today or tomorrow but have extra just in case. Im not yet fully clean and probably never will be but the oxy has to go.

Just to update I want to thank everyone and especially Kitty for your help... The PW subsided about 3 hours after but I was still scared to dose again.. So I took a xanax and was able to sleep around 9pm... I woke up around 4am feeling withdrawals and figured I would be safe to take the suboxone again, it had been 15 hours since I had taken that 10mgs of oxycodone.. I took 1mg and felt better.. Two days later I am stablized on about 7mgs of the suboxone and will continue my usual taper down to 1mg as I have done in the past with no problems. But boy oh boy, those precipitated withdrawals are real and it was scary.. Lesson learned.

Yeah, caught me off guard too. I was at work and was why am I sweating? Im doing better with everything today. Nights bit rough and wife doesnt understand but how could she? But overall, Im ok.

It's good that you weren't trying to transition to sub from methadone and taking it that early, you would of been in a whole other world of hurt since methadone is a long acting opiate, you have to taper down to below 30mg, then even after that you have to wait several days to take the sub.

But for shorter acting opiates like oxycodone, hydrocodone, heroin, fentanyl, etc... The general rule of thumb is wait at least 24-36 hours, 36 is really the sweet spot IME. But if I happen to be around the 24 hour mark, and just feel too sick to wait til 36hours, a trusty tool I use is the COWS sheet (clinical opiate withdrawal scale). I rate myself HONESTLY on it. If I fall into the HIGH MODERATE to SEVERE withdrawal symptom range, then I am usually OK to take the sub without having to worry about the PWs much.

Then when I dose, I start small, like 1mg or so. SUBLINGUALLY. If PWs do happen to occur, it will be mild, and subside within ½hour-45min. Then I just keep dosing 1mg at a time every hour or so, til I start to feel better. I don't usually have to take more than 3-4mg.

I hope everything is going smoothly for you now.

Yes all is well thank you... I was stupid... I was well versed on the potential of precipitated withdrawals but I had gone only 4 hours once before before dosing with the suboxone... I didnt have any issues then. This time it was about 3 hours after a 10 mg dose of oxycodone and it had been about 12 hours that I had my regular dose (15mgs)... As I said I have been a 150-200mg a day user for most of the last 7 years but 50-150mgs for about 8 before... Lesson learned... I was foolish and moron for doing it and I will never do it again... Actually I am planning on never to have to even be in this situation ever again

Yeah I had to reinducting myself a couple days ago. I only waited about 20 hours or so, cuz I was only kicking a light habit, and the dope I was using was so-so quality, so I decided to induct a few hours early, and the PWs weren't an issue. The transition was a little rough, but I made it thru. I am on day 3 and feel wayyy better than day 1 on the sub. I hope I can make it long term this time. Lol

Oh yeah just remember this if there does happen to be a next time. If you are a drug addict like myself there likely will be. Lol. Sad. But I hope you make it bud! One day at a time.