• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Anyone have experience with DARVOCET for opiate withdrawals?

Nether Animal

Bluelighter
I found a bottle of 60 of the 100/650apap buried in the closet while cleaning the house along with about a dozen hydro. The hydros were from (get this) 1999! Either way I'm really hearing mixed reports on darvocet all across the board. I have a mild IV heroin habit, and I can get through the day on lope and gabapentin if I need to, but I figure I'd ask. I hear these are toxic even for people with a tolerance? Don't want to make a mistake but I'm not the type to gobble half a bottle chasing a buzz, I just want to keep the sickness at bay and taper.

Thanks guys

I would steer clear of Darvocet, it can cause some serious heart problems in high dosages, and Propoxyphene Napsylate is not water soluble, so that rules out doing a CWE. It's funny because about six years ago, right as I was down to my last 5 bags of heroin and had no money to my name I litterally found a full bottle of Darvocet that had been buried in a plant plot down on the LES in manhattan, and I guess it had rained recently and the pill bottle had emerged from its burial ground. While they did help with the withdrawals a bit, the side effects of the drugs were so unpleasant that it didn't even make me feel any better. It was just like I was transitioning from one form of crappy to another. Also the fact that a full bottle of narcotics was found buried in a plot of dirt down on Avenue A (junky central) in manhattan speaks volumes.

That's an awesome story...

care to explain these negative side effects? Is it like tramadol where you get random nausea out of nowhere?

By the way, I have been an on and off (90% ON) IV user since 2010, and right now I can get through the day on 200mg of tramadol or maybe 20-30mg hydrocodone, just to give you a baseline of my tolerance at the moment. It's not much.

I believe it's like a super weak form of fentanyl. The main factoid here is the heart problems. You only have one of those. If you MUST use, use the smallest dose possible.

I was on Darvocet and Darvon together for a long time prior to its being pulled from the market. The drug was around for decades and commonly prescribed. The studies of cardiac problems were evidenced primarily in the geriatric community and were long term studies predominantly. If you are young and not immune compromised I see no reason why it could not be implemented as a taper as it is an opioid. Watch your acetaminophen intake with the Darvocet especially if you're taking the hydrocodone as well though I'd encourage you to take them separately. I'm sure thirty years from now the DEA will be trying to pull hydrocodone off the market too for one reason or another. It seems drugs that have the highest potential for abuse are being systematically eliminated from the US market. The truth is there are drugs in every class that can have detrimental effects especially long term and anyone that watches late night tv can attest to that. Every other commercial is a class action lawsuit against one or another. The sad thing is despite the suits those drugs are still available by prescription for the most part. If things do not start improving in society and pharmacology the pain management aspect of medicine is going to really suffer long term along with every legitimate patient in need of quality pharmaceuticals. Ugh! I think when I hit fifty I'm gonna Benjamin Button my life and try to avoid that misery of aging. Any other takers?

Probably the crappiest of the opiates, a weak form of methadone.
But yes you can use to curb the WD. In your case there is the problem of apap, that probably made them useless.
It is 80mg Darvocet= 1mg methadone

I took the hydros already, days ago. 5/500 watsons.

I took 2 of the darvocet and it served its purpose. No reason to gobble a dozen of these like I said, but thanks for the warnings. I took it with a cocktail of 800mg gaba and 6mg immodium.

my experience with darvocet was that it produced a kind of cloudy and confused state, though not in the typical opioid fashion. I felt kind of drunk but without the euphoria, kind of like I was just walking around in slow motion and that half of my brain was dead. It was weird. Anyway, I'm glad it's helped some, just try to be careful with it because I'm fairly certain it's dangerous even at 'therapeutic' dosages which was why it was discontinued.

I was on Darvocet and Darvon together for a long time prior to its being pulled from the market. The drug was around for decades and commonly prescribed. The studies of cardiac problems were evidenced primarily in the geriatric community and were long term studies predominantly. If you are young and not immune compromised I see no reason why it could not be implemented as a taper as it is an opioid. Watch your acetaminophen intake with the Darvocet especially if you're taking the hydrocodone as well though I'd encourage you to take them separately. I'm sure thirty years from now the DEA will be trying to pull hydrocodone off the market too for one reason or another. It seems drugs that have the highest potential for abuse are being systematically eliminated from the US market. The truth is there are drugs in every class that can have detrimental effects especially long term and anyone that watches late night tv can attest to that. Every other commercial is a class action lawsuit against one or another. The sad thing is despite the suits those drugs are still available by prescription for the most part. If things do not start improving in society and pharmacology the pain management aspect of medicine is going to really suffer long term along with every legitimate patient in need of quality pharmaceuticals. Ugh! I think when I hit fifty I'm gonna Benjamin Button my life and try to avoid that misery of aging. Any other takers?

Benjamin Button, FTW. I'm on a pain contract for bulging disks in back. Aside from stocking up on my med, as soon as marijuana becomes legal for medicinal use, I'm done with pain pills and bullshit drugs.

Speed King I'm sure you won't right away.... Cannabis helps with pain, but not nearly as much when combined with therapeutic doses of opiates. They work on the two different areas that lead to pain separately so not only do they synergize, but do not compete to block pain at the same area. The reason I started opiates was that I ended up using 2 oz a month with 1-2 grams of water hash that I cut over half the amount when I started using the oxy compounds. I have never been able to find similar relief even with other pain meds as not only are they not as effective, but usually caused side effects during effects on top of having their own dependancy that leave me unable to think or function properly.

Thanks tacodude for pointing that out. I only take 20 mg total of 5/325 Percocet a day. It is mainly a hassle. I'm on a pain contract. Can't smoke. On top of that, I used to be on 20mg Oxymorphone ER a day+ 3, 5/325 Perc's. The new doc immediately cut me to 120, 5/325 Percocet a month. I follow rules, piss in his cup, when he wants a taste and follow every rule there is. Btw, when d-bag cut me off Oxymorphone ER overnight, I was through withdrawal in a week. On the flip side, I smoked medicinal that felt like an OC 80. That was the main point. Nice to see you taco!

Benjamin Button, FTW. I'm on a pain contract for bulging disks in back. Aside from stocking up on my med, as soon as marijuana becomes legal for medicinal use, I'm done with pain pills and bullshit drugs.
same here but with benzos. when i get a card or its legal in my state. ill hand my doc the pills back. lol i wont need em

Yeah if 20-30mg of hydro kills your wd symptoms 2-3 darvs should probably rid you of about 75-85% and since you have other comfort meds to go with them you will feel fine or atleast pretty close to it. In my experience they used to last quite awhile in me also, but the last time i took them was probably 06/07 when we couldnt get the stash of oc 20's and 40's from my friends dad. He would hide them everywhere but best fucking believe we would find that bottle every month. I honestly miss IV'ing some proper oxy (also dilaudid which is fucking impossible to find around here anymore) however the high quality ECP around here does its job properly and is wayyyy cheaper so i cant complain since i guess i live in an area where there is such a competetive market the dope is all reallly fucking good and really fucking cheap, infact on average a bag of dope is cheaper than a beer at a bar... They even had newspaper articles on it and its on the news everyday. Even politics running for office talk about how they are fighting the heroin epidemic making people believe they are really doing something when they most certainly arent doing shit. For every half ass dealer they bust about 4 more move into his spot and keep the biz going. I honestly wouldnt waste my time or money on the overpriced painkillers around here anymore when a brick is close to a franklin, its cost effective and i really do prefer IV'ing my good drugs so its the obvious choice. But those darvs will help yoir WD for sure, and i found easy to hop off with minimal WD after a few months of use.

I used to actually enjoy darvocet quite a bit. thought it was decent back in my early days but everything was better then.

should work fine if you don't overdo the apap.

Propoxyphene is a very mild opiate but it was taken off the market for a good reason due to potentially fatal heart problems. If you had the original Darvon, that might have helped in small doses. But given the amount of acetaminophen in Darvocet, I wouldn't use it for withdrawals. Clonidine would be a safer option and is very useful for opiate withdrawals.

As long as he doesnt overdo it on them he should be fine. Eating 2-3 every 7-12 hours shouldnt be an issue considering howmmuch apap people used ingest from
10mg perc/vics or even with the current ones that have 325mg of apap in them. Yeah you cant do a CWE but i couldnt see eating 2-3 every 6-12 hours to be a big issue especially since he only has one script worth.

Thanks tacodude for pointing that out. I only take 20 mg total of 5/325 Percocet a day. It is mainly a hassle. I'm on a pain contract. Can't smoke. On top of that, I used to be on 20mg Oxymorphone ER a day+ 3, 5/325 Perc's. The new doc immediately cut me to 120, 5/325 Percocet a month. I follow rules, piss in his cup, when he wants a taste and follow every rule there is. Btw, when d-bag cut me off Oxymorphone ER overnight, I was through withdrawal in a week. On the flip side, I smoked medicinal that felt like an OC 80. That was the main point. Nice to see you taco!
Ah that's a shame no medical cannabis in your state. I honestly suggest trying to express to your doctor the change in the system even though they recently banned hemp formulated CBD formulations attempting to control a market that thanks to state law is becoming free yet regulated. The idea is to compare the negatives to the positives such as avoiding benzo dependancy only for a cannabis dependancy, which is loads safer.... To this day 0 deaths are attributed to cannabis.

Ah that's a shame no medical cannabis in your state. I honestly suggest trying to express to your doctor the change in the system even though they recently banned hemp formulated CBD formulations attempting to control a market that thanks to state law is becoming free yet regulated. The idea is to compare the negatives to the positives such as avoiding benzo dependancy only for a cannabis dependancy, which is loads safer.... To this day 0 deaths are attributed to cannabis.

In my state, first off, something will pass, sooner than later, because 1) everyone is starting to get in the know about health, lack of "reefer madness" type bullshit propaganda 2) some high up will enjoy the cash it will provide 3) even a ever growing cross section of law enforcement realizes that it helps more then it hurts, doesn't cause crime and is a waste of time enforcing. The medical legalization is already on the ballot or already prepared for a 2016 vote, in which a major majority of the state fully supports. We don't like ( I am saying this purposely this way ) dickhead, asshole, scumbag, pieces of shit who try to control every aspect of plant from seed to market because they are fucking greedy bastards trying to pass shit under the guise of "legalize it". They can fuck off. My state or anyone's for that matter, do not deserve thieves trying to cartel their way into your wallet, over a fucking plant. Oh shit, whatever will I do to get my medication. Guess I better hit the next Phish show. I mean really.

Sorry for the rant. I am sitting in a hospital bed, because I have a possible blood clot in my lung :).

We will have our medicine, very soon. All you Bluelighters get out and vote. Just read the fine print.

EDIT: I have a blood clot in my lungs. I just got admitted to the hospital for at least three days.

Last edited:
Wow, Op, you're really diggin' up bones there, huh?!

I took Darvocet once before I was opioid dependent, back in high-school I found an old bottle (STILL wasn't as old as your's, op!) and took, maybe 3-5 50mg tabs, does that sound right 50mg tabs? I don't remember, but anyway, I thought it wasn't horrible, maybe like better than tramadol, and less than codeine?
Hard to say, had I had more experience with opiates before trying the Darvocet, I could maybe guage it's effeciacy better, but that was back when I actually WAS a spring chicken, and now i'm a tired old goose, ha.

No offence to any weed smokers, I smoke it too, but fuck some medical cannabis. First of all, I hate potheads, especially the kind that are always praising pot and how many lives it saves. Morphine saves lives, too, by God, probably saved mine, but I wouldn't advocate anybody to use any narcotics.
I also hate when they say ,"weeds not a drug, its an herb" bullshit, because I've been a pretty consistent weed smoker, and my tolerance is fucking crazy. Considering frequency, amount etc...my Opiate tolerance, using 2-3X a day for about 4 years (weed for only abuot 6 or so) weed tolerance goes up WAY FASTER, and is WAY HARDER TO CONTROL/REDUCE that OPIATE TOLERANCE. And that's a well known fact.

So idc if you wanna be a cool hipster and hang out at the bud bar smoking doobs all day long, just be prepared to NEED your weed for a long long time, because without it, you're gonna be one angry, anorexic, goddamn sonofabitch!

I think marijuana should be a non-issue. If it were legal, Great, everybody grow 45 plants in your back-yard, and smoke that shit like cigarettes!!!
BUT I'M SO TIRED OF SEEING WEED ON TV 24/7, AND HEARING EVERYBODY AND THEIR GRANDMA SMOKES POT!! I don't give a shit, marijuana doesn't mean anything to me, except just another cruch to make my life more tolerable. That's all.

It is not some kind of magical herb with no dangerous side effects at all, it's not some unicorn holy-grail type-a-bullshit that's gonna give you eternal life.
It is a plant, composed of hundreds of active ingredients which happen to be benign enough that it rarely, if ever PHYSICALLY harms anybody.
But if you thing using marijuana 24/7 doesn't have serious effects on the minds of it's users, you're a goddamned fool.

Sure, I could give up opiates forever, just smoke 50 joints of chronic a day to treat my pain/bowels/tension..etc..but anybody who thinks I would be, in any way, a better person, or better off treating my pain with Medical Marijuana, INSTEAD of Morphine/Hydrocodone/Codeine..etc...that's nothing but good old fashioned propaganda right there.

There should be no stigma around any medications, when used for a legitimate purpose.

But there IS a difference between people who smoke weed to get "high" as it were, and people who smoke for relief, or for quality of life, which I consider LEGITIMATE. The prior is trying to get out of life, while the latter are trying to get INTO life, because narcotics are the only way they can actually FEEL decent enough to function.

A few retarted apples can really make the rest look stupid, ya know?