• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Migraine relief while on suboxone

AnythingEverything

Bluelighter
Firstly, I had trouble working out where this post should go so please move it to a more appropriate forum if necessary :)

Basic history, im on 32mg suboxone and 20mg diazepam (and I've heard a thousand times how ridiculous my bupe dose is so I'd rather this thread not go that way please ? )

Anyway, I suffer from quite regular migraines, which, as anuone who gets them will know, can be debilitating. They have reduced since I started spitting out the naloxene/dosing in ways where it doesn't reach my stomach, but I still get them too often for my liking.

Paracetamol/ibuprofen do nothing, my Benzo tolerance is through the roof so 20mg I may as well be eating a smartie so I don't get any of the muscle relaxant/anti anxiety benefits from that, I've tried the migra stick, massage, and a few other things.

I asked at the chemist yesterday and he just said panadol, grrr. Does anyone have any migraine remedies??? Im going to see a Chiro and osteopath as soon as I can afford it as I suspect they may be caused by Something musculoskeletal and or stress.

With codeine, would it really make me sick while on subs? And would it even do ANYTHING anyway on this much bupe? I suspect not. Im pretty sure I can't buy it anyway as I was blacklisted in my state quite some time ago (though I have not tried.). I also know, even though I don't find any recreational benefit in codeine, it wouldn't be the best move to take an opiate, even the weakest one. I mention codeine as that is what chemists other than where I dose always suggest as a first point of call and when I tell them I can't take it they can't really offer any other suggestions apart from for the migraine related nausea. I also find weed makes the pressure in my head worse.

I drink plenty of water, never eat junk, exercise, am a healthy to low weight, though I do drink too much black coffee, any experiences with subs and migraines? Im getting desperate! Thanks!

Yep, its a known side effect. Spit it all out when done. And take 2 aleve an hour before dosing.. Good luck

-.Hopeless

Yeah I've been doing that for some time now when I take it orally. Just after some other migraine solutions as I still get them (I always have even before my relapse and landing on suboxone though dumping the Naloxone has helped, ir wasn't the only reason I get them. Thanks

Codeine wouldn't work at all on subs (I relapsed in the beginning and tried) and I'm only on 10mg, I have severe hip pain and my gabapentin wernt working so tried some codeine, took a large dose too of about 400mg, didn't feel a thing and it didn't help my hip. So no point in taking opiates for nothing, can you see a dr? Amitryptiline is good for migraines, or propranolol is good too, there's other options other than opiates, I do think pharmacies push them on you tho. Here the strongest Otc we can get is solpadine max, they have 12.8mg of codeine and 500mg apap. Or there's some others that have 7mg of dihydrocodeine in. My rehab dr is fighting to get these off the shelves, so many people with an otc addiction. Hope they ease for you hunni :)

Just putting kids to bed but I'll come back later. I do have a script for propanolol which I use for anxiety (it's good) but haven't used it in ages, I didn't ever connect it with migraines, might have to get another script filled. I'll come back later and respond to the rest, fhanks x

Wow, that's a lot of suboxone. I feel much better when I'm on the lowest dose possible that keeps me well. If I take too much, I tend to get headaches (but I wouldn't say they are as bad as migraines). Anyhow, most of the standard prescription opiates for non-tolerant people won't do anything if you're on subs. You could ask your doctor about Fioricet. It's a non-narcotic (no opiates) headache medicine containing acetaminophen, caffeine, and butalbital (a barbituate which is why it's Rx only). I've found taking 2 works well for headaches.

Thanks guys, a lot of these Meds I will have to look up, they are probably sold under a different name here.

It's quite tricky as I only have the one dr who I see once every 3 months. With my record, I really can't be prescribed anything much apart from by him. It's a frustating situation. My dr won't prescibe gabapentin or similar to me as its too similar to a benzo.

Xivixive, I would be interested to know that also, something to prove you actually get migraines! I've not even tried but because I was seeker in the past, I haven't even thoight about bothering. They are debilitating though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Darkness and qjiet is only possible after 10pm here with a house full. I find even the strong brufen (2x400mg) do NOTNING for my migraines, it's verh frustrating.

The others I will have to look into

Thanks everyone

Last edited: