• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read this whole thread, just the first page, I can't believe it has gone over 20 pages.

You are 51 years old, you've been rolling for over 30 years, along with a cornucopia of other hard drugs. MDMA is one of the most powerful drugs you can ingest, acting on the brain in many different ways causing all sorts of changing from gene expression, neuron death, and receptor regulation. Any drug that causes euphoria is known to lose its affect over time.

I would be WAY more surprised if MDMA did cause the same effects now as in the past, its a miracle the best effects don't fade sooner than they do.

At its core, MDMA hasn't changed, assuming that is what you are ingesting and it isn't adulterated with other drugs...you have.

In your lengthy explanation of how its me and not the drug, you missed the fact that I still have access to 80s quality MDMA. No its not the same my friend. Not by a long shot.

Last edited:
I didn't read this whole thread, just the first page, I can't believe it has gone over 20 pages.

You are 51 years old, you've been rolling for over 30 years, along with a cornucopia of other hard drugs. MDMA is one of the most powerful drugs you can ingest, acting on the brain in many different ways causing all sorts of changing from gene expression, neuron death, and receptor regulation. Any drug that causes euphoria is known to lose its affect over time.

I would be WAY more surprised if MDMA did cause the same effects now as in the past, its a miracle the best effects don't fade sooner than they do.

At its core, MDMA hasn't changed, assuming that is what you are ingesting and it isn't adulterated with other drugs...you have.

If you can't even bother to read the thread, then maybe you shouldn't bother to post. There are a myriad of reasons why your opinion is not correct, and you would know what those reasons are if you had read the thread.

It cut me off with length

OK, there were some requests for subjective experiences and I will try. As for the things that happened after 2005-2008, I was out of the scene, and when I came back the drug was just totally different.

80's/Dallas/legal drug: there was no multi subsbtance use, even when we were teenagers. you bought your drug, you had your orange juice and vitamin C, which were supposed to prolong things when something came down. You took it with just a few people in a private place. You didn't take it, and assume that it would be great in a club because it was a lot of sensory stuff to take in. When it hit (we didn't watch pupils), some people had to take 15 minutes or so (after 15-10 minutes of waiting). These 15 minutes are one major thing I would categorize as the difference for this particular strain. You just kind of held on, unsure of what would happen, wanted someone near you. The group was cohesive, everyone waiting for the others, everyone checking on everyone else, everyone already very patient and loving and supportive. I always had the hardest come-one. I curled in a ball, and tried to just get it together. Not afraid, just not sure what was up or down or if I could get my eyes open. and then poof!, all muscles relaxed. All people held hands. all people seemed to have very relaxed muscles, light sweat, perhaps dry mouth, and the rubbing started. Then maybe some walking. some people weren't ready for music. so walking happened everyone followed each other to stay together in each room. Eventually, we would venture out. Walking outside was great. Some crazy nut would drive, and the rest of us fought over the middle seat. Rubbing and contact between all was mandatory . There was a lot of teeth grinding Occasionally, we could get to a club, but that was never the best part. Kind of loud. Outside with air and chewing straws or the ocean was good. swinging. sand. putting feet in water. And love for the people you just met that lasted .. well 40 years As for make out and sex...Le-Junk was older. I was kind of young, so this was likely to be overwhelming, but I can see how this would have been amazing. I'm guessing 6 hours max.

90s: This was a bit different. The crazy come on was gone or way diminished. That depended on the strain. It was much more likely to take it and go to a gay club and dance. Or the beach. The point is that interaction with crowds and more speediness/sociality and tolerance of sensory stimulati was better. However, the concern for the group, the empathy, the loose muscles, the jittery eyes, the grinding jaw, the rubbing were the same

I'm trying to keep this short:
I didn't do it again until 2008, and it was just totally different. No strong come-on. No empathy. Rubbing stayed the same. I could drink and do several other drugs because the MDMA just wasn't strong. It just isn't the same drug. I'm not complaining - just curious about what happened because I liked the old drug and I thought it had some psychosocial use.

Prolly about 5-6 years now.

The problem with finding out what we had is I don't know that we can find out what exactly was in it. I have been watching some documentaries about the .... what was the club called? I do know that at first they got the supply form SF, and then when things got hot they moved down south to Mexico I think.

I only know MDMA from 1999 onwards, and from that time right up until the massive drought of the late 2000s, real MDMA pills (which were often a challenge to source in Perth, Australia) only ever had the "good, loved-up and massively dilated pupils kind" of MDMA, just in differing purities and differing strengths. The strongest pill I am aware of was labtested at being about 180mg of MDMA-HCl but rarely were the best pills greater than 140-150mg.

Once PMK glycidate and the mega dosed pills came onto the worldwide scene (even though Australia rarely sees the mega dosed tablets) things changed completely and quite terribly to how they are now; MDMA only pills and powders are easy to find, but scoring the "good, loved-up and massively dilated pupils kind" of MDMA is about a one in five chance (if that; it may be as low as one in ten!).

Whilst I don't doubt that the MDMA of the late 80's was a different beast again (which given all the reports from the true old timers who were lucky enough to have been around at that time, something very special indeed), comparing this "kind" of MDMA with the MDMA that was around in the 90s or 00s MDMA, is really of historical interest only. What is crucial here is to compare the MDMA from about 2013 onwards with ANY "kind" of MDMA which came before that; MDMA which would still be far closer effects wise to what the 80s stuff sounds like it was than it is to the current stuff. By referring to 'any kind before that', I am of course including any MDMA samples obtained recently but with effect profiles which are far closer to the older stuff than to the majority of MDMA avaliable today.

Further, comparing two different "kinds" of MDMA which a larger group of people might be familiar with, such as that from 1998 to 2008 or thereabouts to that which has been available for the last five years, will better ensure that people will not just assume that the late 80s MDMA was very different and nothing but a fond memory now. Given this massive deleterious change in objective and subjective effects has only arisen far more recently, the comparison I suggest can be attested to by far more people and an effective comparison can still be achieved with MDMA samples that are available today, as the "good, loved up and massively dilated pupils kind" of MDMA is definitely still out there; however, seemingly only attainable by those in the know and those lucky bastards who always seem to win at Poker.

Last edited:
I am not super good at posting, and I got cut off.
I would say that from 1998 - 2005, when I dropped out for awhile, the stuff was still good - it just was a bit "weaker" in the sense that you could function with strangers or go to a club, but you still wanted to be with your group, you still rubbed on them and felt a bit like jello, and I remember it getting a bit more sexual. If my tongue wasn't in someone's mouth, then it was on my arm or somewhere. For example, my friend woke up next to another friend at six am with her hand in the other girls mouth, saying that she had been dreaming she was grocery shopping. So you could zone out more, and it was a bit easier to fall asleep, but the pupils were big, you started looking for more earlier, and I remember still sticking mostly to water (which was unusual to me)
The stuff I have done lately, I can't even identify it from the other crap that gets piled on. There is no rubbing. There is jumping. And I have to take A LOT. There was no way I could have driven before 2008, and now ... well, I don't think I've tried. But I can play ping pong. I can talk to the police (NEVER before 2008 with success). And the next day wasn't as lovely by 2008 as it was ... well I think that went away by the early 90s. Any other comments. I guess the only other thing I could say is the later stuff got more psychedelic Glow in the dark toys replaced my orange cap lids of random smooth rocks I picked up.

^ I completely concur with all of that 100%. Identical experiences, despite two completely different people, from different eras and I assume different countries. Tolerance alone cannot explain it. Two people (and the many thousands more) aren't having the same delusions about this phenomenon :p

Biscuit I'm glad you made that statement as while there has been changes in the past and various "kinds" of MDMA over the years, the comparison between those was far closer than the crap we see nowadays. I've been trying to say that in posts past but you said it so much better, really the huge change to sub quality product didn't occur until after that drought.

When I think of different kinds and eras of MDMA I categorize them as such..

Before 1990 - (Type 1A)
1990 to late 90's - (Type 2)
Late 90's to late 00's - (Type 1B)
2010 onward - (Type 3)

(Note: Type 1A and 1B were likely comparable in effect and synthesis but probably varied due to standard dosage differences between the two eras.) Of course the above is just a generalization and things always vary based on current connections and location.

The first 3 eras were all considered high quality experiences by most who had them, just each varied from the one before it in ways that could be considered neutral. The fourth, our current situation, should be compared against all others as it's the only time a majority of the users have felt these negative effects and experiences.

-GC

SympatheticMD's post struck a cord with me. The couple of times I tried mdma in the 90s I would say the intensity of the come up would be massive, so that I had to take a few minutes to get to terms with it, but then the euphoria would hit and everything was amazing.

I would characterise it like this:

- 50 mins nothing
- 5 mins huge come up with massive body rush. Intensity was slightly scary
- then euphoria would be added
- couple of hours of incredible feeling. Eurphoria plus emotional connection. I described back then the euphoria as being so physically instense it was like I was being crushed and exploded at the same time, but pure pleasure.

One thing I should point out. Either because I'm fairly big, or because I just need more, or both, one pill did very little, 2 were incredible.

Forward-wind to me picking up the habit again for the last couple of years. I've been getting powder/crystal mdma. It tests as it should (I didn't test my stuff from the 90s) but it is nowhere near as good. The emotional side is good, but the physical intensity is much less. I get a phase where it feels like I'm coming up like I did before but it doesn't last so long, maybe 15 - 30mins. The come up has this physical lift up that I remember from before, like two people are literally grabbing me under my arms and lifting me up, but the intensity is not as big. And then the mongy feeling kicks in. In all honesty it feels like two drugs are fighting each other which is why I'm wondering if the impurities during manufacture theory has merit.

Differences:
- Modern has a sooner onset (< 30mins vs 50mins)
- Modern has uplift feeling but no massive physical intensity like old did
- Modern has mongy feeling kicking in after about 1.5hrs
- Feel like I need more. Have edged up to over 300mg which is better, but still nothing blow-you head off, which I would - have expected (although see my comment about needing 2 pills of the old stuff)

Same:
- Emotional connection, empathy
- Higher doses have some visual/music/perception alteration that can also sync in with eye wiggles. I love this aspect. - Kinda like the world is having some amazing dance music video edit. Watching girls dance is amazing in this state, for example.
- Twinkling, fantasy world type euphoria. But old is better in that regard.

Thanks for that link ThreePointsCircle. I'm guessing the analysis they used ( I saw a few methods) are NOT the same methods used in the labs that test the purity of street samples? Also, in the article it said

[COLOR=rgb(16.100000%, 14.500000%, 14.900000%)]Isosafrole is also encountered in some samples; thisproduct can be used as a starting material to synthesize di-rectly MDMA or to obtain 3,4-MDP-2-P. In the samplesstudied, 3,4-MDP-2-P was often present with isosafrole,confirming the use of isosafrole as a precursor of this ke-tone. It is interesting to note that, when present, onlytraces of this precursor were observable, indicating a goodyield of the first synthetic step or, more probably, a purifi-cation before the second step.

Does this possible mean that the sasafrole/sasafrass...yhou know what I mean... may be key to getting the better stuff, or is that a stretch? It is still my favorite hypothesis. I noted no discussion of enantiomer ratios in the paper - is that a difficult step to take in the analysis of the final MDMA product?

[/COLOR]

^^This seems to be plausible. Not so much for the fact that it contains something other MDMA doesn't (it does...) but for the fact it doesn't contain what much of today's product does.

Many today claim product with a "sassy" smell is more potent and all around better, I tend to find it better but there's a certain level where too much can be bad as well. Sounds like certain areas don't hardly see product with that smell but other areas do.

Also that is interesting 3point, and seems to fit the theory perfectly. It does seem based on experience reports as well as LTC reports that there is multiple substances with varying effects, durations, etc that fight and overlap each other.

As they say in article back then much of the MDP2P was likely synthesized from safrole->isosafrole->MDP2P. This was likely done in the same lab producing the MDMA and purified there as well. Nowadays the PMK glycidate (aka MDP2P glycidate) is not made in house but bought from China and assumed pure. As we know China ain't known for pure clean products. It's likely this change in production causing the issue, and impurities in the PMK glycidate being carried over into the final product.

Enatiomers are never really checked, it shouldn't really be difficult for them to do either I just think it's never checked because people always assume the end product is racemic and there'd be no reason to separate them unlike meth where there is more incentive to separate them.

-GC

Last edited:
Keep up the good work Le Junk! Hopefully your investigations will shed some light over this acute topic.

There's an observable decline in the quality of the MDMA/XTC found in Europe nowadays. I'm sure that even the good stuff from the past few years was still far away from the 80s stuff but it gets increasingly harder to find quality batches altogether. I had a couple of experiences with good MDMA that are miles miles away from the mediocre ones that are so common now (and I don't think that building up tolerance or nostalgia are the main culprit here).

I know I already posted my experience here, but I just wanted to add that I completely agree with SympatheticMD's description of the good stuff. The intense, "I need to sit down" come-up was characteristic of what I had access to from 2000-2005. Rubbing was also characteristic. If you were alone, then you were rubbing your fingers through your own hair or rubbing your own pants legs. I hate to admit this, but I have 8 mm video of a party from around 2001 where I am wandering around wearing nothing but a sheet. Things degenerate from there to licking random people. I recall another event where I had a conversation with a stuffed bear, and cared deeply about the bear's well-being. This was normal for those kinds of small, intimate parties.

Here's a review of my previous comments in a handy, bulleted list (we all love bulleted lists, right?):

The good stuff (Accessed from 2000 to 2005)

*Intense come up where you may need to sit down, vomit, or have a "disco dump." Rushing feeling.
*For me, it was a fast come-up that started within 15-30 minutes.
*Euphoria; love for the people around you; a feeling of well being; a feeling of spiritual connection.
*Enhanced tactile sensations, ie: noticing the air on your arms, the carpet under your feet, the fabric of your sweater.
*Enhanced music (noticing instruments you never heard before etc.)
*Enhanced vision (oooh...look at the texture of that paint)
*Enhanced sex (like, REALLY enhanced)
*Lots of jaw clenching and chewed up lips
*Eye wiggles so you could hardly see
*Massively dilated eyes
*The next day usually felt rosy with an afterglow; you may write poetry
*The worst part was the depression that seemed to hit on the Tuesday after the weekend, but it only lasted a few days or 1 week max.

The new stuff (2005-present)

*Chill come-up
*Can't tell if you are feeling it after 1.5 hours
*2nd dose creates a feeling of relaxation and sleepiness
*Sometimes cold
*Best thing to do is lay or sit with a blanket
*Music is not really enhanced
*No euphoria
*No enhanced tactile sensations or vision
*Minimal eye dilation, eye wiggles, & jaw clenching (and if you do get any eye wiggles or jaw clenching it just seems like an annoyance)
*Comedown involves brain zaps, nausea, indigestion, dizziness and starts the day after the roll and lasts for well over a week.

I don't think it is nostalgia either. Too many people notice the exact same things.

In other news, I am still waiting for Edata to post the results of my sample. Hurry up already! I noticed they seem to be posting the actual MDMA dose in each pill. Is that new, or am I just reading it wrong?

^^Haha yup I remember back when I first really got into the festivals around here, a group of people who later became friends had a stuffed salmon (like a cushy pillow kind lol) and that fish was looked at like one of the gang. Someone always had it from there out and watched out for it, and everyone had immense love for this fish. It was great, I've got a pic of my girl rollin hard holding tight onto it.

I'd definitely say that's a good summary. The rushing is one of the parts I love too. Had a roll last summer with some typical high quality MDMA that had me feeling like I just kept building up and up it was so amazing. I just kept breathing deeply and looking at my friends with that "holy shit" look on my face. Danced so hard that night.

Lots of times on the come up I'll puke too from the sheer intensity of it but once I do I'm golden. I almost expect it these days. MDA too is a for sure puke on the come up while eyes cross and I talk profusely about anything that enters my mind.

The one thing I find interesting about the change is the increased and odd comedown/hangover effects that last longer and are stronger than before. I wonder if this is due to the possible impurities present, the fact people take more because the positive effects are negated, or a combination of the two..

-GC

G-Chem, I have had those nasty "hangover" effects from as little as two doses. I don't know if it is just about taking more. With the old stuff, I occasionally did 5-6 pills in a night, but I never had a hangover in the same way that I have had with the new stuff. Used to, if I overdid it, I may have a hard time sleeping and may feel kind of "cracked out," but I was never sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.