Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Nutmeg - First time - bad trip (Report)

R

RainbowDashDXM

So I was bored asf last Friday, with nothing to do, so I was searching up ways to get high on the cheap. I have gotten high before (Dxm is wonderful, weed but it doesn't really hit me :(, coricidin pills [horrible high but they do the trick], etc.) I discovered that nutmeg is a drug that causes hallucinations and I was like wtf, how can that be, it was just a fuckin spice!?!? In my whole 14 years of life I've never thought about nutmeg being a fuckin hallucinatory drug. Its what my mom puts in pumpkin pie!!! So like all curious people [teens] I decided to try it. It was really hard to get nutmeg in my area, most stores don't have it. I had to go to Walmart and luckily I found the McCormick one (the small one, 31 mg).

When I got home, it was about 3:45. I opened the McCormick spice and I ingested it by putting half of the contents in a cup (15 mg), i then quickly downed the nutmeg in my mouth (it tastes like SHIT) and then I downed it with a Snapple that was nearby. (I downed it around 4) 5 hours passed already and nothing. Where were the fuckin hallucinations??? I decided to wait because I read that nutmeg takes time to kick in (sometimes a full night). 2 hours later, I started to feel weird but not high. I started to get cottonmouth with red eyes and a racing heart (tachycardia) I was freaking out badly!! I decided to down 3 bottles of water to avoid dehydration, but it was too late. I ended up in the ER with palpitations/tachycardia. It was HORRIBLE (maybe because I don't usually get palpitations that much) The damn doctor just gave me a huge pitcher filled with ice water, and I drank some. They were monitoring my heart for almost 3 hours (1-4 am) then I left the ER (they released me because my heart was regulated).

It was around 4:30 and my dad decided to take me to Denny's (I was hungry asf). I noticed something happening, like a detachment from reality, it felt like everything I was doing was a dream. My food had no taste too, and I was incredibly tired. When i got home (5:15- 30)I collapsed on the bed, and I remember having a really vivid dream (it was crazy asf, I was talking to trees and i also remembered dancing hamburgers Lol)

I woke up incredibly stoned and dizzy (10-11), but I also had constant thoughts of impending doom, like if I was about to die or like i f I was about to have palpitations again. I decided to watch tv and it still felt like if I was in a dream. Around 1 pm, I was really high, everything was blurry, but still no hallucinations. Slurred speech (my dad thought it was the after effects of palpitations ) constipation, cottonmouth and sounds around me were more intense and there was more paranoia!! I decided to take a shower (cold to avoid palpitations). It did help with my heart rate but i was Still paranoid (and still a bit buzzed) till Tuesday (yesterday)

It was living hell for me (I think I took way too much for my first time). I Won't do it again, that's for sure. The paranoia and the tachycardia was WAYY TOO MUCH for me! Is the high worth it? It depends. Some people get a great high off of it and some people don't (like me). So if you decide to try it, always have water nearby and if its your first time, try small doses (like 5 or 10mg). But if you don't wanna try it, then DON'T. My advice is, stick to DXM (its a awesome high, it gives me a good, strong trip if i take around 600mg of it) or there's always weed or alprazolam (xany).

But, can anyone explain to me why the nutmeg did that to me? Did I actually take too much for my age (14, 145lbs)? Is the McCormick nutmeg shit? Did I have to take the actual nutmeg?

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_myristicafragrans
substancecode_nutmeg
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
explevel_firsttime
exptype_negative
exptype_healthissues
exptype_bodyload
exptype_difficult
exptype_disaster
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Nutmeg in high doses like you took can produce the effects like you described in your writing.

At 14 you should not be using drugs, but if you are going to anyway, do not take coricidin, but instead take only DXM as coricidin has other ingredients that you do not want to take in large amounts.

Stay safe. I moved this to trip reports for you.

I feel that this is concerning too in no way should kids be using drugs. Where are your relatives when you're getting high? Please, if you're going to do this which you are, arm yourself with as much information as possible to keep yourself safe. Not lecturing but wouldn't feel right as a member if I said nothing, but drugs are not all fun n games as they seem n could be damaging to your brain as it's not yet developed at such a young age. Most substances have a honeymoon period n side affects.

Evey

Hmm, weird, usually the pre-ground nutmeg is very weak as most of the oils that are psychoactive evaporate, it's best to grind up fresh whole nuts. In any case, I agree that 14 is too young for drugs, many of the people I know who started that young, especially with stronger drugs than marijuana, ended up experiencing significantly more problems later on from them. Your mind is still developing a lot, I recommend waiting until you're at least 18. Since saying that rarely makes a difference though, I suggest sticking to weed... the first 4 times I did it, I didn't feel anything, but then after that, I sure did. Coricidin is particularly terrible for you and I would stay away from that at all costs (trust me, I fucked myself up for a while many years ago with it)... Coricidin contains DXM and also a few other things which are really bad for you at high doses. DXM-only products are fairly safe though, even though I don't recommend doing DXM until you're older.

Good luck, don't let yourself focus too much of getting high. Drugs are best used when you're in a good place, of sufficient maturity, and you're using them to enhance some activity, rather than just as a temporary cure for boredom.

Last edited:
You're 14, that's why you had such a terrible experience. At your age, your brain is still developing. Doing things like DXM and nutmeg will affect the development of your brain. For HR purposes, I strongly advise you to stop using drugs of all kinds. Although weed is pretty safe for adults, you are too young to be smoking it. Smoking weed also affects the brain development of teenagers that smoke it. Please stop using drugs at your age.

Last edited:
I started using drugs at your age too and have been smoking weed ever since. I was at my friends house once and we tried nutmeg. Although we smoked it, it did nothing. We were dumb and didn't know what we're were doing. We should've done more research and honestly not have done it at all.